Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pics of my completed GT3 race car

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Its a Laguna Seca muffler system. There is a 92db noise limit for many events.
I believe it's 92db measured at 50 ft. Many intakes and exhausts need to be modified in order to meet this requirement.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:09 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

lol regardless, I didn't know they had something like that made before, cool!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this monster street legal?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:14 PM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
Is this monster street legal?
not even close!
Old 09-06-2008, 04:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

pretty slick.

i think ive seen smaller wings on the space shuttle though.

howd you manage the extra power?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:35 AM
RS Patrik
Racer

Why not buy a Cup from the start??
Old 09-09-2008, 09:30 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Patrik
Why not buy a Cup from the start??
A Cup is a race car, so you get to run it in certain specific classes. You can build a car faster than a Cup within the rules of Racing classes that are slower (based on average lap times) than the Cup classes.

Also, a street based powertrain has longer life than a Cup. I had a compression leak down test done to my car and it got numbers from a fresh engine, after 34,000 miles.

ABS, you can run legally with ABS. You cannot install ABS in a Cup and run in the Cup class, if you do this, you get bumped to an even faster class.

grussell built an extremely competitive car for POC and PCA Club Racing. These classes are based on street cars, factory race cars are not allowed.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:32 AM
RS Patrik
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
A Cup is a race car, so you get to run it in certain specific classes. You can build a car faster than a Cup within the rules of Racing classes that are slower (based on average lap times) than the Cup classes.

Also, a street based powertrain has longer life than a Cup. I had a compression leak down test done to my car and it got numbers from a fresh engine, after 34,000 miles.

ABS, you can run legally with ABS. You cannot install ABS in a Cup and run in the Cup class, if you do this, you get bumped to an even faster class.

grussell built an extremely competitive car for POC and PCA Club Racing. These classes are based on street cars, factory race cars are not allowed.
OK, get it.
Just sounded like an expensive way to build a Cup replica.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:39 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

So are you saying that the Cup engine is less durable than a street-based engine? I was under the impression they were very similar.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
So are you saying that the Cup engine is less durable than a street-based engine? I was under the impression they were very similar.
street engines have slightly looser tolerances, while cup engines have to be rebuilt every 60-100 hours if you're lucky...cups are higher strung so they come out of tune much easier, and really start to lose horsepower at the end of their life cycle.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:24 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
street engines have slightly looser tolerances, while cup engines have to be rebuilt every 60-100 hours if you're lucky...cups are higher strung so they come out of tune much easier, and really start to lose horsepower at the end of their life cycle.
yes, I am familiar with that.

but when I read his post I became a little confused as to what he is saying. He's saying that the leak-down doesn't go as fast which seems odd since the looser engine would leak more (at least I would think) unless he's saying that the Cup is so tight it abrades or stretches more, but at some point I'd expect that to slow down.

Further, his post appears to say that you can build a car that is quicker than a Cup to run in slower classes (?). But then many would do it and it would be a faster class (again at least I would expect that). Sort of a Yogi Berra-ism.

So I'm a little verklempt...
Old 09-09-2008, 01:28 PM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by RS Patrik
OK, get it.
Just sounded like an expensive way to build a Cup replica.
For the record I had a 2005 Cup before this build.

And it is far from a "Cup Replica"
Old 09-09-2008, 01:33 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

yes, I am familiar with that.

but when I read his post I became a little confused as to what he is saying. He's saying that the leak-down doesn't go as fast which seems odd since the looser engine would leak more (at least I would think) unless he's saying that the Cup is so tight it abrades or stretches more, but at some point I'd expect that to slow down.

Further, his post appears to say that you can build a car that is quicker than a Cup to run in slower classes (?). But then many would do it and it would be a faster class (again at least I would expect that). Sort of a Yogi Berra-ism.

well what it does is allow him to decimate the entire field of PCA or POC racers...cup cars are "spec racers" in a sense, and this allows him more freedom for personalizing his rocket. the goal is obviously to win all the races in class...although I've got to be a bit curious as well as to what other cars could hang with it.

this is just like the porsche ethos-the unfair advantage of over-engineering
Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 PM
grussell
Pro

A stock 996 Cup competes in GTC-3
A stock 997 Cup competes in GTC-4
A modified Cup competes in GTA
My car competes in GT2

GT2 can be faster than GTC 3 & 4 but most do not spend the money required to build a street car that is faster than a Cup. A GT2 car won overall at Laguna 2 weeks ago so it is indeed a very fast class. No RSR's ran that weekend.

GTA is generally much faster than all 3 classes because the RSR's run in GTA.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:01 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grussell
A stock 996 Cup competes in GTC-3
A stock 997 Cup competes in GTC-4
A modified Cup competes in GTA
My car competes in GT2

GT2 can be faster than GTC 3 & 4 but most do not spend the money required to build a street car that is faster than a Cup. A GT2 car won overall at Laguna 2 weeks ago so it is indeed a very fast class. No RSR's ran that weekend.

GTA is generally much faster than all 3 classes because the RSR's run in GTA.
Garrett, masterful work on the car! Hope you make it out to Miller and Vegas; I would love to see your baby in action!

Quick Reply: Pics of my completed GT3 race car