Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Slight OT, but as promised- my review of the R8

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:00 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write-up CJ, and thank you! I have been interested in the R8 (actually the R10) for some time now, but have not had a chance to drive one; just barely look at one is all so far.

I will wait for your review on the R10 before I do anything.

Oh, and as for the tranny, that is what I would have expected. I still prefer a manual over anything else, but here is my opinion on the DSG/PDK vs. the R-Tronic/SMG/F1 trannies:

DSG/PDK: 97% as smooth as a traditional automatic, but with all the benefits of a modern "clutch pedal-less" auto-manual (i.e. lightning fast shifting, less parasitic drive-train losses vs. traditional auto).

R-tronic/SMG/F1: not nearly as smooth as a traditional automatic, some of these are better than others, but all require driver involvement to help "smooth them out." On the track they should be ideal and I believe they weigh less than the DSG types and possibly shift a little faster than the DSG's; but I really am not sure about this either. I just believe that for track only, they have an edge over the DSG's.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,266 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
I had a somewhat different experience with the car. R-Tronic is ideal for the track. Plastic paddles or not.

A common misconception with these types of gearboxes is that they shift without any driver involvement. You have to DRIVE them. Then they are incredibly smooth and quick.

Car feels heavy? I can understand where you are coming from. I'll be more gracious and say that it feels like it can handle a lot more power. One thing that a 911 can't hold a candle to is the R8's turn-in bite and neutrality. Mid-engine vs rear...not much you can do about that.

I agree it's stunning in person but I fear it won't age well.

I absolutely agree that the fact the identical engine (save the dry sump I think...not sure) is in the significantly cheaper RS4 is hard to get around. This is a phenomenal engine but the engine is the heart of a performance car so how can the top car share it's engine with a more pedestrian model. A philosophical objection to be sure but the desire to own these cars is so far beyond rational that these types of differentiations are key.

we agree that the car "needs" more engine (aka R10 should be much better), or will be better with more engine...my take on the r-tronic is that it shifted too slowly, and for more clarity you've actually got to lift a bit to smooth it out- and if you've got to lift you might as well just operate the damn clutch yourself too!

as far as the mid-engine vs 911 thing...I just want a gt3 with a mid-engine already- that's why I was so let down by this car...I didn't want a 997 C4S, I wanted a car comparable to the GT3...which this isn't. and that made me sad.

my ultimate verdict would have to be experienced on track, but it just has awkward timing engaging on upshifts...I like the recent ferrari stuff much better.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:28 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice write up CJ. If you're interested Farnbacherloles does a Cayman S conversion with either a 3.8 or a gt3 3.6 motor ~450hp. Very nice, factory-ish job, check 'em out. They ain't cheap though....
C
Old 08-30-2008, 09:47 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Nice write up CJ. If you're interested Farnbacherloles does a Cayman S conversion with either a 3.8 or a gt3 3.6 motor ~450hp. Very nice, factory-ish job, check 'em out. They ain't cheap though....
C
who is these days???? lol.

I don't like the cayman body shell, too small for my big ***. for the money that F&L charges for a supercay or CayGTR or ???? I might as well just get a cup car!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:01 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
who is these days???? lol.

I don't like the cayman body shell, too small for my big ***. for the money that F&L charges for a supercay or CayGTR or ???? I might as well just get a cup car!
Agreed. Also, Isn't RUF about the only "aftermarket" manufacturer for Porsche who has their own VIN numbers and their cars actually hold their value? I can't think of another aftermarket company who falls into that catagory??? M, AMG, SVT don't count since they are factory. And RUF does a 3.8 Cayman, right?

Maybe Dinan, but not like RUF. Saleen??? They are sold out of Ford dealerships new, so I don't think they count. Brabus, not sure???

I don't think FL is anywhere near the level of RUF in terms of reputation, but that does not mean that they don't do top notch work. I do have a good feeling about them for some reason; even though I have no experience with them.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:30 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Agreed. Also, Isn't RUF about the only "aftermarket" manufacturer for Porsche who has their own VIN numbers and their cars actually hold their value? I can't think of another aftermarket company who falls into that catagory??? M, AMG, SVT don't count since they are factory. And RUF does a 3.8 Cayman, right?

Maybe Dinan, but not like RUF. Saleen??? They are sold out of Ford dealerships new, so I don't think they count. Brabus, not sure???

I don't think FL is anywhere near the level of RUF in terms of reputation, but that does not mean that they don't do top notch work. I do have a good feeling about them for some reason; even though I have no experience with them.
Actually Alpina and AMG have developed their own cars before, kind of like what Ruf has done in Germany. But yeah as far as I know, that Dauer guy of Dauer 962 fame is really the only dude to have a modified "porsche" with a seperate VIN(I could be wrong about vin) but he's the guy who makes 962 street cars @ over 1.3million euros a pop.

from feedback I've seen, no reason to think FL isn't the best tuner on the east coast... west coast has a lot of options, but it seems so far like sharky is the most beloved and for good reason- great customer (and even non-customer) service. Steve Weiner of Rennsport is great, especially with aircooled cars, and of course before all of those people- Andial was the absolute gold standard of west coast mechanics/ modifiers/ custom track applications/etc

correct that Ruf Gmbh in the motherland is listed as a manufacturer, problem is that their cars like rt12, ctr3, etc are all supercars, so price is astronomical. I've visited their facility and they do a lot of different stuff, it's a family operation type thing so they really take care of customers, and even visitors.

Ruf Dallas is great, and they do all sorts of stuff like sales, to conversions on caymans, TT, etc and are easily the best customer service I've ever experienced- it's mega OT and I won't take it all the way there but I could gush about how well they treat me for pages and pages.

really-all the cars sell themselves, you just want to buy/service them from people you get along with and treat you right.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:25 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

FL is actually more of a racing shop than a tuner, they recently started that line, their stuff is top notch, don't sell them short. Visit them and you'll see what I mean, very akin to a current NASCAR shop, they do very little street stuff. The last time I was there there were at least a dozen 2007-8 cup cars and a DP car, mostly Rolex series, being prepared. As far as I know Ruf isn't really involved with racing. If that's what you're looking for CJ, esp if you have an interest in a cup in the future. Yes, they are expensive, but you get what you pay for, that's why they are constantly on the top in the current Rolex series. Wolf Henzler is one of their drivers I believe.
Hey, not trying to hijack CJ's thread, he just mentioned he was looking for a mid engined Gt3, their cayman/gt3 engined car is as close as you can get.
Cheers
Old 08-31-2008, 10:42 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

correct that Ruf Gmbh in the motherland is listed as a manufacturer,
CJ, just a fun FYI.

Germany is the Fatherland, Russia is the motherland. I learned this the hard way while working with my German co-workers.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:58 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
CJ, just a fun FYI.

Germany is the Fatherland, Russia is the motherland. I learned this the hard way while working with my German co-workers.
oh hahaha sweet, I'm 25% german I should know that!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:49 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

CJ alot of makers are only supposed to sell their "special" cars to reward previous buyers
but once cash starts to hi the table the Dealers somehow lose their ethics! Go Figure!!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:14 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
CJ, just a fun FYI.

I was gonna say that too, 100% German here!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Nice write up! I'm still looking forward to a drive or ride in one of these.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:25 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

just drive an RS4 up to the service section of an audi dealership and say you're interested...that's what I did
Old 08-31-2008, 10:10 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an R-tronic R8 for a day and I was very impressed with the car. It's more beautiful in person than in pictures. I live in South Beach and let's just say that exotic cars are very common sight around here. But the R8 got more attention (in a positive way) than any other car I have had / driven, including a gorgeous red f430 F1. But I have to agree with the write-up...the rtronic is not up to par with the best semi-automatics, and the car needs a more powerful engine. It's a very impresive machine. The problem is at the current market prices it doesn't make sense to me. At mrsp, I would definitely consider it.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:55 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Great review! Thanks C.J.!

Quick Reply: Slight OT, but as promised- my review of the R8