Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

cannot believe - rms again

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAB Badgerbimmer
Observation/question. It is apparent after reading all of the RMS posts that the GT engine has serious flaws. Why all the consternation about the 997 MkII GT3 with a new engine, sans RMS leak? Seems to me that this is a good thing and that I should be happy to be #1 on the list for a PDK GT3 at my dealer.
The consternation stems from the fact that this new DFI engine with the fancy lubrication system has not been motorsport-proven like the GT1 engine. That's the only legitimate gripe I've heard thus far, and it will be satisfied if Porsche drops the new engine in its cup cars and RSRs and they prove successful and hardy.

There also seem to be a minority that just hate all change and think older is always better. See, e.g., 993 Forum.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:06 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
After 3-4 RMS attempts, if you still want to keep the car, perhaps it's time to email a very polite note to Porsche's CEO. I feel bad for the local dealerships and techs who are trying really hard to fix the problem, without having a solid fix from Porsche. Try wendelin.wiedeking@porsche.de or ceo@telus.com and see what happens.
Do you know who this wendelin is and what his position is? I agree, lots of emails, I have only had mine fixed once but it leaked right away, I want to tell them that I want it fixed but not just to go in and put the same failed fix on it and be back. I don't want to have Paul's experience where it keeps leaking more and more oil. right now I can live with a few drops. pints I cannot live with.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:11 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MAB Badgerbimmer
Observation/question. It is apparent after reading all of the RMS posts that the GT engine has serious flaws. Why all the consternation about the 997 MkII GT3 with a new engine, sans RMS leak? Seems to me that this is a good thing and that I should be happy to be #1 on the list for a PDK GT3 at my dealer.
Don't know about the current engine having "serious flaws". It has one minor flaw. BTW, I have been driving GT3s daily for six years now without an RMS issue. Does anyone know accurately what percentage of GT3s have RMS issues?

That said, I don't understand why people are so convinced the new engine (if fitted to the GT3) will be a downgrade from the current one. Yes, the engine we all know and love is well proven, but why would that mean it can't be improved upon by a new design? I have faith in Porsche's engineering.

BTW, the next GT3 will have DFI, but I'm not so sure about PDK. PDK in the Carrera is a replacement for the Tip, not the stick.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:39 PM
MAB Badgerbimmer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently track a very modified E46 M3 with SMG. I went through the rod bearing recall. So I understand the concern. I, unfortunately, need the PDK, hopefully the GT3 will have the new tranny as an option. I have zero interest in the 997C or 997Cs!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys,

A data point. My RS leaked around 8,000 miles. Seal replaced. It leaked again. Since the leaking is minor and there seems to be no permanent fix yet, I ignored it and just drove it. Now with 18,000 miles it does not leak on the floor. There is some oil visible on the bottom of the engine, but no spots on the floor. I'm happy.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:35 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Do you know who this wendelin is and what his position is?
The CEO of Porsche.

Andreas
Old 09-08-2008, 09:13 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Guys,

A data point. My RS leaked around 8,000 miles. Seal replaced. It leaked again. Since the leaking is minor and there seems to be no permanent fix yet, I ignored it and just drove it. Now with 18,000 miles it does not leak on the floor. There is some oil visible on the bottom of the engine, but no spots on the floor. I'm happy.
Agree...that's what I am doing
Mine leaked--replaced last November, began leaking again this May. Now it doesnt do it, in fact over a month with nothing on floor. I think it is the nature of the beast. Unless it becomes dramatic (ie, oil on floor everyday) I'll keep it as is.

Bill
Old 09-08-2008, 01:06 PM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have almost 16,000 km so far, the bottom of the engine is bone dry, I checked. However, if it starts weeping, I won´t be doing anything about it. It would have to spill oil like on the photo in the beginning of this thread to warrant servicing.

One of the posts above said it correctly - Porsche knows about the problem, but since only a percentage of the cars have it and they know that this engine was the last in line, they will not be doing anything about it and will ride it out. Ignorance is a good solution from their point of view. It would take a mighty big court case for them to admit to any design flaw.

What is very disappointing is the Ctrl+C reply from the factory guy in Germany. Two different people obviously take time to write a logical letter, not first time buyers either, yet it seems that they are talking to a computer with an automatic reply. Very bad and very surprising. I really didn´t expect that.

Thankfully, at least the finished product itself is what it is. Most of the time.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 287 Posts

My third seal is leaking, but not a lot. Maybe a drop or two a few hours after I park it. I plan on ingnoring it for now. Last seal was leaking so bad I was in danger of contaminating my clutch.

Quick Reply: cannot believe - rms again