Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

cannot believe - rms again

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:35 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
A thought occurs, is this purely an N.A problem? I am also on the titanic GT3 list in the UK and I dont think I have ever seen mention of an RMS problem there?
I know of 2 cars on titanic that have had more than 1 RMS. There aren't as many cars here and people don't really mention it online. Perhaps to protect resale?

I do find it odd when the 6 GT3 really didn't suffer from this much.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 PM
str8ner
Racer

My letter emailed to PNA and to Jochen Bieman,

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to report a series of unfortunate events that has occurred since having purchased a new 997 GT3 ID#---- on December 3, 2006. First, let me tell you a little bit of my history with Porsche. I am an avid fan of Porsche and have owned 4 Porsches since 2002, and still own two 997 Porsches bought new. I am a very active member of the Porsche Club of America, and am a national instructor for Porsche Club of America as well.

During the first 12 months of ownership, my GT3 has been to the dealer for little warranty items which immobilized the car for about 9 days. Some of these items included finding particles in the oil filter during oil filer changes on two separate occasions. These particles were brought to the attention of the dealer and were apparently found to be normal. Also, I reported seeing a ring of oil around the rear main seal to the technician at the dealership as well and I was assured that I should not worry about it until it actually starts dripping.

At the beginning of June, the RMS started to leak and the car was later brought to the dealership for repair of this problem on 6\17\08. The repair was complete 9 days later. Shortly after, the RMS profusely leaked again and was brought back to the dealership on 8\1\08. No estimated time of completion was given to me since during the first week the dealership was in communication with Porsche of North America for further instructions since it was a repeated problem. During the second week at the dealership, the dealer told me that they had been instructed to wait for further instructions on how to alter the RMS Placement Tool before replacing the RMS. Finally they started the work and informed me that the previous RMS had been placed Front to Back, which explained the recurrent problem.

On 8\18\08 the dealer called me to inform me that the repair was complete, but that the car was still leaking. They then told me they recommended that they communicated with Porsche of North America to understand more fully how to handle the problem.

On 8/20/08, I called to get an estimated time of completion since thus far the car had been at the dealership for a very long time. I was told that the mechanic who had previously been working on my car was in training in New Jersey and therefore we would have to wait until 8\25 upon his return. I then requested the service manager to ask for a different technician since at that point I was fed up with waiting. This car is mainly driven in the summer and I have not had much time yet to enjoy it in the summer! The dealership replied that I would have to wait for the technician to return since the way it works with Porsche is the technician who starts the job must finish the job, so I should wait for his return.

Upon his return on 8/25/2008 the car will have been in repair for 34 days for the RMS over the past 2 ½ months. I received a phone call form the dealer tonight to come and pick up my car since they said they had repaired the leak. The repair consisted of replacing the bolt of the ‘crank case’ since the thread of the bolt was defective, so Porsche of North America recommended replacing the bolt. They replaced the bolt and torqued all bolts of the ‘crank case’. They proceeded to drive the car 30-40 minutes in order to make sure there was no more leak and stated that they were confident that the leak had been repaired.

I am extremely unhappy with this situation and need to make you aware of the lengthy period of time I was not able to drive my car. I was still paying insurance as well as making payments on my car, but was not able to enjoy it during this great time of the year. This lengthy repair period is not satisfactory for a car of such value. I also have serious doubts that this problem was fixed permanently. Since I have doubts that we have a permanent fix and to compensate for such a long time without my car, I would like to request an extension of my warranty for an additional 3 years. I would also like to be placed on a prioritized list for delivery of the next generation GT3 RS.

Thank you,

I look forward to hearing from you,

No response yet from PNA and the follwing response from Jochen:

Dear Mr. Tisseront,

I´m sorry to hear that you appear to have problems with your Porsche.
I have forwarded your e-mail to our customer commitment department, I´m positive that Porsche will find a satisfying solution.

Best regards
Jochen
Old 09-02-2008, 09:07 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjgreco
I just received this reply to my email, the response was prompt but who knows if it will be forwarded into some black hole with no further response. But as Frank pointed out above, anyone or everyone that has had one or more RMS leaks should send an email to Jochen. Then we may improve our chances of getting someone at the factory level to address the RMS issue. At least we will be dealing with the factory versus Porsche North America.

Dear Samuel,

I´m sorry to hear that you appear to have problems with your Porsche.
I have forwarded your e-mail to our customer commitment department, I´m positive that Porsche will find a satisfying solution.

Best regards
Jochen

Jochen Biemann
Exclusive & Tequipment
Business Development Management

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
Porscheplatz 1
D-70435 Stuttgart

eMail: jochen.biemann@porsche.de

What do you think about sending him a link to this thread. or the thread we started for everyone to report in who has had RMS. Maybe they will understand that the community is concerned. It is a public forum.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 PM
str8ner
Racer

I received a call from Porsche today. They denied both of my request (extend warranty and priority on next RS). They instead offered me $500 of tequipment stuff. I did not accept it at this point.

Stephan
Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 PM
str8ner
Racer

What about a mail certified letter signed from all RMS sufferers?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:06 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I am in. I think that is a vary disappointing offer. I hope it did come come from to far up the chain, you would think that they would take this problem a bit more seriously. I would be shocked if they cannot fix the problem and you have documented history of failed repairs that they would one day decide that they are going to make you pay for something they could not fix. Interesting.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

go after them guys..... this problem scares me as potential gt3 owner........
Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Our first effort should be emails to the contact posted above. It is simple and much easier way for the members with RMS leaks to go on record that they want something more constructive in the way of a repair. And we all obviously have computer access. If Germany is overwhelmed with emails we may finally get the factory's attention, if not then someone will have to get a lawyer involved or we start a collective legal fund.

Last edited by sjgreco; 09-03-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:20 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

After 3-4 RMS attempts, if you still want to keep the car, perhaps it's time to email a very polite note to Porsche's CEO. I feel bad for the local dealerships and techs who are trying really hard to fix the problem, without having a solid fix from Porsche. Try wendelin.wiedeking@porsche.de or ceo@telus.com and see what happens.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:26 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by stisseront
They instead offered me $500 of tequipment stuff.
What a joke.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:40 AM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank God Im not an RMS sufferer....yet

Flash
Old 09-03-2008, 04:00 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So many 996 Turbos with high miles and all sort of performance upgrades, and they just don't leak .

What about the massive number of 996 and 997 GT3 Cup cars, are they leaking?

As I recall, Sharky has a solution, 911 Turbo seal, no special tools, just a careful install. After all, those cars are not leaking.

My 996 GT3 had its first RMS leak at 30,000 miles. It probably was related to the 9 months where it barely got 2,000 miles.

Regardless of the leaking oil, I would rather have this dry sump engine than the new "supposed not to leak" wet sump. This is an engine with a pedigree, good for future values.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:37 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Richgreenster
Read the tech info about the gt3 rear main seal in this months Excellence Mag.
Does anyone have a copy of this article to post? Where would I look to get a copy of it? Keen to see what it says about the gt3 rms issue...

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Old 09-03-2008, 02:35 PM
MAB Badgerbimmer
Advanced

Observation/question. It is apparent after reading all of the RMS posts that the GT engine has serious flaws. Why all the consternation about the 997 MkII GT3 with a new engine, sans RMS leak? Seems to me that this is a good thing and that I should be happy to be #1 on the list for a PDK GT3 at my dealer.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:59 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Based on history there is no guaranty that the new motor won't leak. Many of the motors in the latest generation Porsches have leaked. I think the main frustration for GT3 owners is the way the problem has been handled by Porsche. The factory has burried their heads in the sand hoping the problem will go away in time.

Quick Reply: cannot believe - rms again