Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SALVAGED GT3RS = GOOD TRACK CAR PROJECT??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

yeah, i figured parting it out would be be best. As a roller right now it would cost at least 50 grand for sure to get it back on the road just a as a "salvaged" track car with no air bags. (not good resale)

So one would only pay $20 grand max. plus $50 grand repairs making it half price of new ($70 total) for a track purpose car to thrash.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:22 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
just curious, but if the car recieved new brakes, wheels, fenders, suspension, door and bumpers and repaired properly, how would affect safety as a track car?
The idea being air bags removed and clubsport cage installed.
It looked pretty bad to me, and I would check the frame very carefully, and not let just any body shop tell you it is fine.

Also, as was mentioned, it looks like it would cost some serious change to get it fixed. You spend all that money, and the car will still have a salvage title. Not many Porsche guys are going to buy a salvaged car at anywhere near what you would have put into it.

Trust me, I have heard some horror stores from guys who chose this route; it is not worth it.

If you want an RS, then pay the extra money. The car should hold its value airly well throughout the years. And if you are not quite ready to shell ot that much (I'm not) money for an RS today, then save some more and wait for the prices to fall a little more as we go into winter, and then buy a real one.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

A lot of track cars are rebuilt wrecks. My SCCA T-3 S2000 is a combination of 2 wrecked cars.

If you are handy, and you need to be, a lot of the grunt work ie. labor$$$$ can be performed by the owner. For a track car why keep the PCCB's ???

Peter
Old 08-19-2008, 12:39 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

2 things...I would look in the engine compartment closely and make sure it cranks and runs ok. If the price was right, I would build it in a heartbeat. But, strictly a club racer and DE machine...it would be a beast! Sell off the interior goodies and build a custom cage. I would not restore it to a street ride though. Cups get beat up all the time, repaired and put right back out there.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 08-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd say it all depends on how you want to build it, and the extent of frame and engine damage, and of course the price. If the engine and trans are okay and the frame isn't too badly tweaked (can be pulled back without having to replace the metal) it might be a good base. I would replace the fenders, quarters, bumpers, and doors with wider carbon or fiberglass parts and the glass with lexan. If you go with aftermarket stuff it will be cheaper than the Porsche factory parts. If you aren't going for a fully stripped and caged racecar and want to return it to stock I don't think it's a good idea.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:17 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

honestly if you are willing to take on a project of that big a scope, I would start with a good 996 tub and build a monster. One of the guys locally just built a 996 for NASA GTS2/3 with a stock 3.6l motor that runs faster than any street GT3/RS and is turning Cup car times. Total investment was shy of $50k
Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cory M
I'd say it all depends on how you want to build it, and the extent of frame and engine damage, and of course the price. If the engine and trans are okay and the frame isn't too badly tweaked (can be pulled back without having to replace the metal) it might be a good base. I would replace the fenders, quarters, bumpers, and doors with wider carbon or fiberglass parts and the glass with lexan. If you go with aftermarket stuff it will be cheaper than the Porsche factory parts. If you aren't going for a fully stripped and caged racecar and want to return it to stock I don't think it's a good idea.
Totally spot on!

Originally Posted by eclou
honestly if you are willing to take on a project of that big a scope, I would start with a good 996 tub and build a monster. One of the guys locally just built a 996 for NASA GTS2/3 with a stock 3.6l motor that runs faster than any street GT3/RS and is turning Cup car times. Total investment was shy of $50k
I'd like to see this one...that's very difficult to build unless you can do everything yourself, paint, cage, etc. Plus a 3.6 only comes in 02 and would cost $30k just for the car, unless you have salvage or something...then $20k. Further, cup car times with a 3.6? Come on now. I hate to say it, but this car sounds like a fairly tale.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So one would only pay $20 grand max. plus $50 grand repairs making it half price of new ($70 total) for a track purpose car to thrash.

you are forgetting the $50k in labor to go along with $50k in parts...to make it whole again so now you are at $120k for a salvage car...better enjoy the hell out of it...besides you won't get it for $20k cuz the motor and tranny are worth more than that....
Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I'd like to see this one...that's very difficult to build unless you can do everything yourself, paint, cage, etc. Plus a 3.6 only comes in 02 and would cost $30k just for the car, unless you have salvage or something...then $20k. Further, cup car times with a 3.6? Come on now. I hate to say it, but this car sounds like a fairly tale.
Car belongs to Jay Matus, who runs the regional NASA in Texas. The car will be at the run-offs in Mid Ohio the weekend of Sept 13th. At TWS the car ran 1:52 during the last shakedown. Quite impressive as he was 10-15 seconds ahead of his competitors. The car IIRC is an 02 running a proprietary GIAC/AWE Grand-Am ecu flash. The block is stock save for a 997 intake and X51 exhaust. They got 300 rwhp! There is going to be Streetfire and Speedvision coverage of the event, so the results will be for all to see.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:56 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by eclou
Car belongs to Jay Matus, who runs the regional NASA in Texas. The car will be at the run-offs in Mid Ohio the weekend of Sept 13th. At TWS the car ran 1:52 during the last shakedown. Quite impressive as he was 10-15 seconds ahead of his competitors. The car IIRC is an 02 running a proprietary GIAC/AWE Grand-Am ecu flash. The block is stock save for a 997 intake and X51 exhaust. They got 300 rwhp! There is going to be Streetfire and Speedvision coverage of the event, so the results will be for all to see.
Ok. I try not to be one to doubt...maybe he has exceptional driving skills. My car makes 310 at the wheels with a pretty steady torque range thoughout, and I can hang with a few 996 cups. But, when you add a good driver to the cup, my car can't, and shouldn't compete. Also, with that hp, he can't run GTS2 or 3. It would have to be GTS4 class unless it is VERY heavy...a minium of 3300lbs for GTS3 at that hp.

I would like to run with guys like that though. The competition would be awesome! I'll be headed to Nationals next year with NASA...maybe we'll meet then if he still has the car. I would LOVE to go this year's, but I need more time in the car and in wheel-to-wheel events. Does he ever run Porsche Club races?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:09 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jay is quite a good driver. He also runs the Texas Mile event. I don't think he does any PCA stuff, as he is really trying to grow NASA as much as possible. While his car makes 300 to the wheels, the power curve is immensely broad. We fabbed some custom brackets to mount the 997 intake to it - big improvement. There is alot of ballast in the car as well to keep him legal.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

All good points folks. Thanks for the info.

My first reaction was to build a "track only" car from this salvaged RS for $70-80 grand.

But for the asking price plus repairs and modifications it wouldnt be a feasable project.
And thats if the frame was straight and drivetrain needed zero.

Now that being said if somebody could perform all the labour on their own time, then perhaps they could do ok by it for a fun track car within a budget.

Looks like this car will be parted out for top value however.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:02 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

All good points folks. Thanks for the info.

My first reaction was to build a "track only" car from this salvaged RS for $70-80 grand.

But for the asking price plus repairs and modifications it wouldnt be a feasable project.
And thats if the frame was straight and drivetrain needed zero.

Now that being said if somebody could perform all the labour on their own time, then perhaps they could do ok by it for a fun track car within a budget.

Looks like this car will be parted out for top value however.
Yeah, I put a couple of bids up myself, but it is getting out of hand already. Someone will bid high, have 0-3 feedback score and not be able to buy it. Even a car at $120k would be worth it IMO, fully race ready. Imagine that power at 2650 pounds!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:33 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Yeah, I put a couple of bids up myself, but it is getting out of hand already. Someone will bid high, have 0-3 feedback score and not be able to buy it. Even a car at $120k would be worth it IMO, fully race ready. Imagine that power at 2650 pounds!
it's called a Cup!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:40 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by allegretto
it's called a Cup!
Correction...it's called a "cheap" cup!

Quick Reply: SALVAGED GT3RS = GOOD TRACK CAR PROJECT??