Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 EXHAUST OPTIONS??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:37 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to tell what my GMG sounds like as I hear it from the inside, but people on the outside of my car just rave about it.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i was reading an article on a GT3 tuner not too long ago. I cant remember the name.

The shop was located across the street from PMNA. Does that ring a bell to anyone??
Old 08-17-2008, 03:09 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

that would be GMG, they're about 75 feet door to door away from them
Old 08-18-2008, 07:39 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are thinking of FULL exhaust systems... take a look at Farnbacher loles and AWE tuning's systems... both are pricey but... r there real hp gains? don't know for sure but both say you would need to have your DME re flashed for maximum benefits from the mod. Both system flashes will void your warranty, I believe... on the other hand, Porsche is well know for not leaving HPs on the table... one system is $8000+ and other is $5000+... so... oh wait, I believe Ruf is also coming up with their own... this well be more expensive?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Unitah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does everyone think of the Cargraphic systems? I know they have a few options available from straight pipes, to side muffler delete, to rear muffler delete, to 200 call cats, and any combination of the above? Any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

I would highly recommend either Cargraphic or Manthey Racing .... both highest quality TUV with a lot of tuner/track experience in Europe.

ideally you want to drop weight big time, and depending on your personal tradeoffs increase flow for HP (and lose some mid range torque, or not).
Old 08-18-2008, 12:50 PM
RSA333
Racer

As someone mentioned, I would recommend Sharkster's or GMG's bypass, or if you want power (especially torque coming out of corners) upgrade to full Farnbacher Loles or FVD - they may both be made by AP in Germany.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:24 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

george- ruf is not doing a gt3 exhaust but will be vending out some Manthey stuff shortly through their dallas location (rufautocentre.com) I'm putting in a call there today and will post new info if they give me a timetable.

unitah- being from the northeast, if you want to stay semi-local, I'd probably call up F-Loles. I like the way their product looks better than the AWE one which for some reason makes me wince. Alex@sharkwerks has experience with various levels of the cargraphic package on both his car and customer cars- you should PM him and ask his opinion.

IMO There's really not too much you can do to the GT3 exhaust-wise that will do anything other than just be noisier and lighter weight- I really doubt that someone has a "bolt-on" 30 hp gain or anything like that without totally voiding the warranty.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 PM
NeverFastEnough
Advanced

Does anyone have any experience with the Fabspeed exhausts for the GT3? I have seen some opinions on Fabspeed and the sound and quality seem very variable.

At a recent Porsche event in Minnesota I had a chance to see some of the Fabspeed stuff for the 997TT and it looked top notch and high quality. Their cat bypass pipes for the GTS has also had some good reviews.

I have the Sharkwerks muffler bypass on my GT3 and it is great, but I want to keep the side mufflers (primarily for noise reasons living in a city with ordinances) and put in some better flowing headers and cats than stock (without throwing a CEL).

Any comments are appreciated.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

in my opinion going with "variable" companies isn't a good idea...
Old 08-19-2008, 11:47 PM
NeverFastEnough
Advanced

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
in my opinion going with "variable" companies isn't a good idea...
Yeah I was wondering about that myself. I contacted Fabspeed and they said "no problem", and they are probably right, but I just do not want to be a guinea pig, so I am interested in other's experiences.

We have all seen pictures or heard feedback from people with AWE, GMG, Cargraphic, etc setups. It will be interesting to see what others like Manthey, Oakley, and maybe even Ruff have to offer down the road.

But then again it is "just headers and cats."
Old 08-20-2008, 12:11 AM
daytonaviolet
Racer

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Just so i know, the by pass mod is the stock exhaust system but with exit before the mufflers? hence the name "muffler by pass mod"?
yup.. stock mufflers are in tact but the sharkwerk bypass replaces the resonator right behind the tips. so when your side mufflers open at ~4100 rpm, your exhuast will become almost like straight pipes.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:53 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

thanks for the kind words fellas and glad you're enjoying them For those of you that haven't seen the clips they're on our media page (scroll down to the first 4 videos):
http://www.sharkwerks.com/media.php

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 EXHAUST OPTIONS??