Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 01:03 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Iron rotors hissing

I have a hissing and a squeal. I just replaced the OEM pads (iron rotors) with R29 yellows the 29's must be a tic larger as they rub on the rotor at a slightly different diameter. anyway, when I drive it sounds like someone is dragging a stick on the rear rotors. Do not know if the fronts are doing it to, because I can't hear it over the noise of the left rear. Never had hiss or squeal from OEM pads as they were bedded frequently at the track. Bedding is not going to fix this maybe some track time will.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:13 PM
gripet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Asked the service manager about brake squeal at 3000 miles '07 GT3. He said it was due to light braking and to apply more pressure when the squeal starts. This has worked so far. Apparently Audi puts out a phamplet on the subject which he was going to give me but I forgot. Slamming on the brakes at 110mph didn't work for me.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I have a hissing and a squeal. I just replaced the OEM pads (iron rotors) with R29 yellows the 29's must be a tic larger as they rub on the rotor at a slightly different diameter. anyway, when I drive it sounds like someone is dragging a stick on the rear rotors. Do not know if the fronts are doing it to, because I can't hear it over the noise of the left rear. Never had hiss or squeal from OEM pads as they were bedded frequently at the track. Bedding is not going to fix this maybe some track time will.
I have the same issue with the 29's, you can hear them drag at low speeds which is why I switch pads so often which I think is a bad thing.

To quote one of the dealers in town that I don't work with any longer.. "You are buying a race car, it will have squeaks, rattles and all sorts of noises. You should ride in X's car, it's insane how many rattles he has"
Old 08-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a Toyota.

Any car designed to stop quickly from 200 mph has very hard brake pad material and is very prone to squeal especially if not used in the appropriate manner. e.g. driven very hard on the track, where the resulting material transfer from pads to disc, stop the brake squeal for quite a while.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default rear brake noise

I've gone through the whole sequence of squeak, dragging noise, etc... no worries. However, the rear pads are very sensitive to the position of the rear retaining springs. Please check that the "fingers" of the retaining springs are perfectly balanced and aligned on the inner and outer brake pads. If it is out of position even slightly you will get the awful dragging and squeak noise out of the rear brakes.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:19 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
I've gone through the whole sequence of squeak, dragging noise, etc... no worries. However, the rear pads are very sensitive to the position of the rear retaining springs. Please check that the "fingers" of the retaining springs are perfectly balanced and aligned on the inner and outer brake pads. If it is out of position even slightly you will get the awful dragging and squeak noise out of the rear brakes.
Thank you I will check that. all the other brakes are fine execpt my left rear so maybe this will fix it. I will take a look and repost.

Dude, You are right. I just put a new set of yellow 29's in my car and when I was done, just my left rear would make a rubbing noise all the time. I just went out pulled off the tire and sure enough the clip was off the top of the pad on one side. I popped it back to the middle and no noise at all. I owe you one bud.

Last edited by todinlaw; 09-01-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 Brake Squeal