Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Brake Maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 05:45 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Maintenance question

I have some pictures of my rear pads from my 997-3 It looks like the width of the pad material is just a bit wider than the the metal bracket that the shoe material is bonded to, for measurement purposes. So, How low can i safely go? is it time?

Can I swap out front and rear pads without removing the calipers?

My front pads are still more that 60% anyone else getting 2 to 1 front pads to rear?
Attached Images   
Old 08-23-2008, 05:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

dude, you are done. take the pad out (or what's left of it).
once you take them out, you will see little round studs on the pad material already exposed and rubbing on your rotors. when the thinnest part of pad material is equal to or less than thickness of backing they are done.

changing front pad is easy, you dont need to remove caliper. there's a 13mm bolt in the middle of the caliper, take that out, take out the spring plate and you can pull pads out.

the rear is not so easy. you need to remove the caliper.

on the 7gt3s, my front pad wears at about same rate as the rear pads.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:00 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mooty, I figured. The rotors are not scored I just washed it and that is rust mostly, but I figured I was done, Time to take out the OEM pads and put in the 29's.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:09 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default pads

My pad wear is closer to 1.5x's greater for the rear as compared to the front. I've also gotten used to changing the rear pads. In fact, it takes me less time to change the rear than the front. For the rear you simply compress the pads against the pistons, remove the caliper bolts, replace one pad at a time to keep the retaining spring slightly compressed, and then replace caliper and bolts. Total time for me averages 6-8 minutes for the each rear. The front pad change I find slightly more difficult because you really have to compress the retaining spring to free the retaining bolt that holds everything together.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
My pad wear is closer to 1.5x's greater for the rear as compared to the front. I've also gotten used to changing the rear pads. In fact, it takes me less time to change the rear than the front. For the rear you simply compress the pads against the pistons, remove the caliper bolts, replace one pad at a time to keep the retaining spring slightly compressed, and then replace caliper and bolts. Total time for me averages 6-8 minutes for the each rear. The front pad change I find slightly more difficult because you really have to compress the retaining spring to free the retaining bolt that holds everything together.
Just as an FYI I had my 1yr service last week, now I already knew that after
50+ of the ring during euro delivery last year had taken it's toll on the rear
pads, I just replaced them with 80% remaining on the fronts (PCCB)

YMMV

- Larry
Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
eriojas
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
by any chance do you have any photos of the process? it would be very helpful, thks in advance.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:17 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eriojas
by any chance do you have any photos of the process? it would be very helpful, thks in advance.
I can talk you through it when you are ready, I am done with the backs and moving to the fronts. PM me when you are ready there is a few things to know up front that will save you from worry.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Default front brake bolt

OK I am moving to the front pads. Did not remove the caliper just the bolt that holds the pads in. Front are easy, anyone know how tight I need to tighten that retainer Bolt?? let me know I am out in the garage.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:51 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Default Brake squeal fix

I owe a thanks to sasportas, after I installed the rear pads I was getting a hell of a squeak and rubbing when I drove down the road only on the left rear. In another thread he suggested I check to make sure the spring that hold the rear pads was centered on both pads. I pulled the tire and sure enough it was off on of the pads. I put it back to the middle and she was good to go. I really love this community....

Quick Reply: Brake Maintenance question