Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:12 PM
bprzekop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT3 Brake Squeal

I have 8000 miles on my 2007 GT3, OE pads and PCCB rotors, and until lately, the brakes never squealed. Lately, after about 15-20 minutes of driving (it has been in 90's lately), whether at high speed or just tooling around town, the brakes start to squeal when applied, and even squeal just when going slowly (no brake applied). Is this usual, or do you have any suggestions as to cause/cure?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:38 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine aren't PCB's but I'm also get substantial brake squealing after a fairly long drive. I've been assuming that the noise is related to high brake temps (from both extended braking action and from absorbed engine/cooling system heat). Once everything cools off the brakes are quiet until the next long drive.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Adam S
Instructor

I have PCCBs and they hiss after sometime... I splashed some water on them to try and wash off what could have ben some dust or minute debri, and it helped a bit, but only just. and now it hisses still, but a little less... I may repeat the splashing...

Now as for squealing without applying brakes, I am would guess you may have a warped rotor, but I am not sure PCCB can warp.. I think they just break instead of bending... but I would ask your dealer...

Finally, as for the cause, my dealer indicated to me that they are having a ton of brake noise problems due to tire shine products. He said even the minute amount of tire shine will eventually get into the brakes, and that porsche brakes will hiss and never go back to not hissing ones exposed to tire shine... I thought that was a bit extreme, but the foreman was dead serious...

Did you put any armorall on your car lately?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:20 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

PCCBs will squeal/hiss when hot. Absolutely normal
Old 08-19-2008, 05:28 PM
mikey175
Racer

Interesting. Well, I'm headed to my dealer tomorrow AM on this very subject. My GT3 has non-PCCB's but the squeal is insane. Brakes for a fairly new car -- especially one of this calibre -- should not sound like this. Their last advice: get it up to speed on the highway then really get on the brakes. That worked for about a day. There must be a better solution. I'll share back what my dealer says.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately you are going to have to switch brake pads if you want something that doesn't squeal. (I don't have experience with PCCB because all the track guys I know remove them or order their cars without them)

The stock pads must be used hard fairly often, mine will go 2-3 days of city driving before i have to do a 100mph to 20mph stop to fix them again. It lasts a little longer if you do this multiple times and it they squeak less if you brake harder than most people are used to in traffic.

When I use pagid 29's, my brakes squeak just from touching the rotors while I'm driving slow not even on the brakes if they've been used lightly too long.

If your dealer is honest with you, they will just tell you that they took the car to 100 a couple times and used the brakes hard and gave it back.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 PM
mikey175
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian S
Unfortunately you are going to have to switch brake pads if you want something that doesn't squeal. (I don't have experience with PCCB because all the track guys I know remove them or order their cars without them)

The stock pads must be used hard fairly often, mine will go 2-3 days of city driving before i have to do a 100mph to 20mph stop to fix them again. It lasts a little longer if you do this multiple times and it they squeak less if you brake harder than most people are used to in traffic.

When I use pagid 29's, my brakes squeak just from touching the rotors while I'm driving slow not even on the brakes if they've been used lightly too long.

If your dealer is honest with you, they will just tell you that they took the car to 100 a couple times and used the brakes hard and gave it back.
I have heard this comment here and from my dealer before. No question it works, at least for a day or two.

From my dealer today:

1. "How hard do you drive your car, it is a sports car y'know." Well, er, I drive my car daily and while I try to hit every apex and wait to the last possible moment to brake, it's not always the right move with an Avalon in front of me, a Suburban to my right and a Caravan coming up quickly on my rear. It's a sports car? Hmmm...guess that explains that funny looking obstruction in my rear mirror and the weird stick where that P-R-N-D thingy should be.

Next suggestions, going out on the road with a tech:
2-go backwards to 25 mph, then brake hard. Check.
3-bring it up to speed, then brake hard. Check.

We brake again coming to a stop. Loud squeal. Hmmm, it still seems to be squealing. Better leave it with us.

Update: they are emailing Germany to get some tech advice. More to come soon...
Old 08-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

I'm going to have to watch this thread, I can't wait to see what they come up with because my stock pads are loud especially since it's been raining every day and you're right.. It's hard to apex with the suburban in front of you going 10mph and it's equally hard to brake late at every light (which almost resolves the issue) because you tend to cause traffic problems if people are even remotely close to you because they don't look ahead of you, and going 40 to 10 in 5 feet wasn't what they expected so keep an eye out behind you and brake late early and then roll the last 10' or so to give yourself space.

about the only thing I could think of would be switching over to the turbo pads, because the turbo is more of a street car and has different pads than we do.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 PM
mdiez1
AutoX

Originally Posted by mikey175
Well, er, I drive my car daily and while I try to hit every apex and wait to the last possible moment to brake, it's not always the right move with an Avalon in front of me, a Suburban to my right and a Caravan coming up quickly on my rear.
Here, here! My non-PCCB RS squeals like a Mack truck at every single stop. I don't mind a little bit of noise, but it really is out of control. Anxious to see what you find out with all this. I don't remember where but I believe I read another thread with this same subject. It mentioned that Porsche is aware of this and working on a solution.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:21 PM
mikey175
Racer

Well, I am pleased to report that I just experienced a 100% squeal-free ride back from my dealer. A very nice experience. In response to the squeal coming from my rear brakes, here's what Porsche advised and my local dealer did: 1) replaced rear calipers with new pucks and mounting bolts, 2) bled brake system on all four wheels. From talking with some of the techs there, it is clear that this is not an unusual problem, and that a 997 TT owner had just experienced the same thing. Hopefully, this is the end of it.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Come back in 100-200 miles and let us know how it goes
Old 08-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Now that this post has been here and I've swapped my brake pads numerous times (track to street, back to track, to street) I have some wicked squealing sounds from my front brakes that can't be cured for longer than 3 stop lights.

My last porsche had little round inserts that went into the pistons that supposedly dampened the noise, is this an option for the gt3?
Old 08-26-2008, 06:32 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian S
My last porsche had little round inserts that went into the pistons that supposedly dampened the noise, is this an option for the gt3?

the ceramic isolators you are talking about are standard on the 996 GT3 front and rear and I believe on at least the front brakes of the 997 GT3...I only have the 996 part numbers and there are different sizes in mm depending on pccb or non pccb calipers..they are mostly to isolate the calipers from pad heat but also help with brake squeal...in the PET they are shown as part of the caliper repair kit...

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-26-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

I got brake squeak on both my club coupe and cayenne turbo. Dealer said the noise is normal even before I start complaining. Tried the high speed drive and hard braking on track day and it may help for a few days. Don't think there will be a solution.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

I read that someone made some titanium shims or something like that? would that serve the same purpose as the ceramic isolators?

I believe the issue is that the brake pads when first installed, get pressed by the piston square and remove the paint in the way they are going to seat. I have since switched pads back and forth and probably didn't put the left on the right or in some way backwards to the way they originally seated against the 6 pistons.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 Brake Squeal