MGS996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great !
Old 08-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Adam S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't know what it looked like before, but it looks very nice now...
what seats have you got in there? I like them... (they kind look like the GT seats, but I don'tthink they are... right?)
Old 08-17-2008, 12:22 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam S
don't know what it looked like before, but it looks very nice now...
what seats have you got in there? I like them... (they kind look like the GT seats, but I don'tthink they are... right?)
Thank you.

They are the cloth 996 seats. They are actually 2 lbs lighter per seat than the leather versions. But I really prefer cloth anyway, especially this type. They are grippier (sp?), lighter, more comfortable in cold and hot temps, and definetely more serious looking; oh, and better looking IMHO.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:34 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by am722
That's a great look. No passenger seat?
I put it in, in the mean time, but may take it out again. I am alone in the car 99.9% of the time; and by taking out the passenger seat, it frees up more space and allows access to the rear for larger items. The new folding seats in the GT2 are convenient from that aspect, but I still prefer them in one piece.

Again, I always prefer simplicity. Put only as much technology into a car that will truely increase performance, without taking away any feel. Safety is also important, but more passive and less active.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:11 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by zizu
I agree OG that performance wise it's not going to make a big difference, and 99% of the drivers would never be able to tell, but it's still a significant weight up high and out of place in a proper sport car. It is a very easy way to lose 50/60 lbs too and I don't understand why Porsche won't offer the option in the U.S. It's available everywhere else except here, a slap in the face if you ask me.
It's not only a performance issue, you also miss some clearance with an helmet if you track the car. A sunroof is just useless in a sport car.
It does look weird too... It's like seeing Paris Hilton holding a Hubert Reeves book...

Sorry just IMHO.
I think a sunroof is useless in any car, especially one this size. If you want some sky above you then get a cab. That little **** slit is worthless and the rest of the drawbacks we all know about already.

I would do the conversion in a heart beat if I was: A) going to keep the car for a very long time (I have never done this). OR B) I knew for a fact that there are enough buyers out there who would both appreciate this modification, but also trust it. And talking about it doesn't count. Pony up the cash, and then we can talk about it.

Removing the sunroof is a SERIOUS modification to any car, especaially a $110K + car. Do that mod and watch what happens if you try to trade it in on a new GT3 or any other car. The dealer GM's will be running away from this car, and for good reason.

I can't afford to risk hurting the resale value of my $120K GT3 by an amount that could be quite significant. It would be cheaper to just buy an RS, and the RS has an even better resale value than the GT3; but I will not pay a premium on a used RS, nor do I feel like looking for one that is close to MSRP. It will most likely be a 2007 and is a used car. Mine was brand new and well cared for; I can trust that. Unless you really know the owner of a used car, you don't know what it may have been through.

Quick Reply: GT3 Makeover #2