DO YOU HAVE RMS, pls report here

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I would tend to agree with you, however, there are no new GT3's and we talked about a new engine (not sure they are available) BUT it would have the same seal. It appears that Porsche has not found a true fix for the problem. I am a little reluctant to go to the 2009 as it will have a brand new engine ... and what bugs are yet to be worked out on it. the have increased the Hp to just below GT3 rated though. The other option is to find a 2008 close to what I want or back way off and get a Cayman S . Back to the top my first choice was a new engine and keep my GT3 but that is not in the cards. To the person that says it qualifies or the Lemon Law you are correct and a fair resolution has been agreed to bay all parties short of a new GT3. Down side is the wait if we go with a 2009. My wife and I have missed more than several Porsche putings this year because of either waiting for the GT3 to arrive and or it was in the shop .. such as Parade. We had scheduled several Porsche weekends for this fall such as Road Atlanta and Porsche Palooze and those are also now in doubt. Life is not fair so get use to it.... at 66 that lesson is so true. Take care and thanks for your comments and concerns. Now i'm looking for some good news.

Wow
I was really hoping you would be able to find a solution with Porsche, sounds like they took the easy way out. There are many of us with the same issue, unfortunately it is still an issue with no real solution. At $2k+ per seal replacement, I've got to believe this is killing their P&L...why not just fix the issue ?

On a separate note, wonder what will happen to the car ????
Will it go to auction with a "Lemon Law" asterik or will it just get a new seal and end up on the lot as "CPO ! One owner !!"
Old 08-13-2008, 10:23 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
I think, where this me, I would make them replace it with a like car or better yet replace the motor. I am not happy driving my 997s after owning and driving my GT3. I think since owning the 3 for the last 19 1/2 months I have put less than 1000 miles on the S. There is no substitude for a 997 GT3!!
So true; including the turbo too.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:26 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
Wow
I was really hoping you would be able to find a solution with Porsche, sounds like they took the easy way out. There are many of us with the same issue, unfortunately it is still an issue with no real solution. At $2k+ per seal replacement, I've got to believe this is killing their P&L...why not just fix the issue ?

Will it go to auction with a "Lemon Law" asterik or will it just get a new seal and end up on the lot as "CPO ! One owner !!"
Maybe it is going to Stuttgart to be disected???
Old 08-13-2008, 11:22 AM
bullbear
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the list...

2008 GT3, 7300km
first leak at around 6500km, leaks lots when pushed...
awaiting first seal replacement...
Old 08-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Max Power
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH

I was thinking the same thing.
Let me know the VIN, and I'll add it to the GT3 page of the GT3 RS Registry.

http://www.gt3rsregistry.com/docs/997gt3/997gt3.htm

Then, if it pops up for sale anywhere, we'll know.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:29 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by stisseront
Just got a call from my dealer today. Were waiting for PNA for instruction. They received the instructions today and do not know how long it will take to repair. As per dealer they received instructions to alter the RMS placing tool before they can try to repair my car! Very interesting! I guess I wil be driving my spec Miata this week-end at Summit.

Stephan

Stisseront,
Did you get your car back ??
Wondering if there is any new news on how to fix this problem
Please let us know resolution on your issue
thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 10:11 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- i pick up my car this morning with my 4th seal
- as reported before, factory and 1st replacement each lasted 15,000kms, 2nd replacement lasted 0kms
- i had to wait 10 days for my local dealer to get a new tool (not different but just new) to put the seal in
- the seal is the same seal and my car being an 07 doesn't get the "new" spacer ring

- i guess if the factory and 1st replacement each lasted about 15,000kms or about 9mths of driving / trackdays before beginning to leak then it would appear that Porsche must be currently willing to play this game of fixing the seals if customers complain / dealer wants to bill $2500 until the cars go off warranty

- as a group, i will say again, our best collective hope is that everyone keeps bringing in their cars on the first sign of a drop of oil until Porsche gets tired of writing $2500 cheques to their dealers
- if a very high percentage of 997 gt3/rs can get the seal replaced at least once under warranty then Porsche may start to do the math that this problem will not end when the warranty ends and that they may be on the hook for a very long time afterwards and they will then and only then work on a fix for an engine that is now out of production forever

- i still love the car more than any other car i've ever driven so this is livable for me but it sure would be nice to pick up an "free" extended warranty from Porsche that this problem will be fixed
Old 08-17-2008, 12:43 PM
khaug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RMS problem

Started leaking c. 4K miles, 20 months of age ('07 model). Just got the car back with the new seal. As yet, no evidence of further leakage. Our dealer mechanic says the last one he did still leaked and had to be re-done.

Car is primarily a track car - gets trailered to events, stored winters.

Had the RS clutch/flywheel/crank pulley installed when the RMS was changed. Love it! It makes the car hugely more enjoyable and easier to drive smoothly. I can't detect any of the torsional rattle that supposedly is created by the single-mass flywheel.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:09 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out new issue of Excellence, in the Technical forum, the response to a RMS question regarding a effective repair. Appears the current design of the GT3 based motors can not be repaired to stop minor oil leaks with current seal or tools or maybe never.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:47 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh joy! Mine is leaking for the 3rd time. Gotta go back to the shop. But, hey...at least I get to drive an auto boxster or something.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:47 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 817 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by sjgreco
Check out new issue of Excellence, in the Technical forum, the response to a RMS question regarding a effective repair. Appears the current design of the GT3 based motors can not be repaired to stop minor oil leaks with current seal or tools or maybe never.
What I thought was really astounding was the comment he had never heard of this problem

Peter

2005 996GT3 with 25,500 miles and still no leaks.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:13 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by sjgreco
I read the article and my comment would be that mine only leaked when driven. If I parked it, whipped downed the underside it would still be dry days later. when I drove it, as soon as I shut it down, or even just parked it with the engine running I could see oil seeping. That said, either as the article hinted the seal concept was poor or their was a crankcase pressure issue that was forcing oil to bypass the seal when the engine was operating. Whatever I still would have appreciated Porsche stepping up and fixing the issue ar stating that oil seepage was normal as I would so much have liked to keep the car. In over fifty years of driving (and forty driving Porsches) the GT3 is my all time favorite and I truly miss it, but 8 week total in the shop in 11 months of ownership and only 3800 miles with no real solution from Porsche it is gone, but not forgotten. The turbo seal may still be the best answer, but Porsche will not approve it under warranty. You that still have these fantastic vehicles enjoy them.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:29 PM
str8ner
Racer

08/19/08 car still at the dealer. Called me Monday to let me know car was done. Previous shop had placed the new seal front to back! Though dealer said there is some seepage with new "properly" installed seal. Will wait to watch if still happening. Was supposed to get back to me today but did not!

That is it for now. I am looking forward to driving this car again!!!

Stephan
Old 08-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
What I thought was really astounding was the comment he had never heard of this problem

Peter

2005 996GT3 with 25,500 miles and still no leaks.
That statement shouldn't surprise anyone, check out step #6 on page 44, "997 GT3 oil-change procedure". Dipstick??
Old 08-20-2008, 10:59 PM
str8ner
Racer

Cot phone call from dealer. RMS repair but definitely leaking. Waiting for instruction from PNA and technician away for training at Porsche facility training in NJ. No other tech allowed to work on car. Will have to wait until Monday to know more. Total will have been 5 to 6 weeks in shop for RMS. Car is more than 18months old. Does lemon law apply?

Stephan

Quick Reply: DO YOU HAVE RMS, pls report here