Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 Seats - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:55 AM
nat3970
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2 Seats - Advice Needed

Could really use some of your collective wisdom regarding seats for my 997 GT3...

I'm looking to upgrade to track setup starting with seats and then cage, hans device etc. I was strongly leaning in favor of GT2 seats in spite of their high cost ($7K) because they are comfortable, lightweight and I was particularly attracted to folding backrest so I can access the area behind the seats for overnight bags etc. I know the cage will limit useful storage behind the seats but thought that having folding backrest should help...

Here's my problem... I'm 6ft 2 in with long torso. When I sat in a GT2 seat and the top of the belt holes in the seat were about 1/2 inch to 1 inch "below" the top of my shoulders and that was without counting the height of a hans device. I'm pretty sure that's a non starter from a safety standpoint....

I also checked out several Recaro and Sparco seats and with few exceptions encountered the same problem.

Does anyone know if the GT2 seats can be adjusted so that the back extends a couple of inches higher? Alternately can the seats be ordered in larger size? I doubt it... but thought I'd ask.

If GT2 seats are not a viable option for my height what other alternatives are available preferably for a lighweight seat, for large person with folding backrest. Am I looking for a needle in a haystack? What type of seats are those of you who are as tall or taller than I using?

Could definitely use some help getting pointed in the right direction...Thanks.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:47 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

From Installation and Conversion Instructions TSB:
Further adjustment possibilities (seat height, lumbar support, seat and backrest angle ) are not possible.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:53 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

I am 6'4" 250lbs and I just got a GT3 with 996 GT3 seats.

Right now I barely fit in the car.

GT2 seats would be out of my budget.

Next week I will have my seats lowered all the way down and all the way back, but I doubt I will fit "in" the seat. My bud fits fine but my shoulders stick out above and in front of the upper wings and above the upper edge of the holes in the back. I think that is a no-no.

I will post what I find out about these seats once in the right position, I hope AI can make them work, they are nice seats.

Anyone have any idea's about seats with a longer bottom cushion and higher back and wider upper wings without going wider on tthe bottom cushion?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:05 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Next week I will have my seats lowered all the way down and all the way back, but I doubt I will fit "in" the seat. My bud fits fine but my shoulders stick out above and in front of the upper wings and above the upper edge of the holes in the back. I think that is a no-no.

I will post what I find out about these seats once in the right position, I hope AI can make them work, they are nice seats.

Anyone have any idea's about seats with a longer bottom cushion and higher back and wider upper wings without going wider on tthe bottom cushion?
I suspect that given your size, you may have to look into aluminum race seats such as Kirkey or Butler. There is much more ability to custom fit these. They are strong.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:15 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,886 Likes on 2,408 Posts

try recaro all models with XL designation. maybe be tight for 250lbs.
race tech wide version.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:52 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,398 Likes on 642 Posts

for track driving, you can also take the padding out of the 996GT3 bucket to sit lower and deeper in the seat. that's what I do and I'm 6'2, 215+
Old 08-03-2008, 01:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Nat3970 sorry to hyjack your post, I hope it helps..

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
These pages with your help and knowledge base are about 50% of the reason to buy a GT3!!

I have a Kirkey now, but I was hoping form something prettier and more of a stock look.

The best way I think is that I will first reposition these seats and try to drive it with and without bottom cusions, I hope that it will be enough.

If than I am still not supported enough, I will try to pit my Kirkey seat in, it fits perfect (I had 3 consecutive one custom made to get it perfect.)
The Kirkey might not fit right in this car and then I wil try XL Recaro seats if those are the longest seat cusion and back I can find, I am a bit worried that an XL recaro is not tight enough around my bud and middle...
Old 08-03-2008, 02:24 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a big guy as well... 6'4"

I tired all non-custom XL seats that I could find (OMP, Sparco, Recaro) and here is what I found:

OMP Big: did not really like it for some reason when compared to the others
Sparco Evo 3: wings too wide to fit in the car I was told
Sparco Evo 2: my *** too big, harness guides too low etc... but they will fit in the car
Euro GT3 Seat: to narrow and I am not a fan of the praying mantis look
Recaro Profi XL: just right, harness guides are at proper location, my *** fits in the seat, and they fit in the car (Speedware). I tried side mounts on sliders first but could not get the overhead clearance needed with a helmet on. So went to a bottom mount on a slider and it is perfect for me. Although to get clearance at the track, I remove the bottom cushions. On the street, it is fine with the cushions in and of course no helmet.

I have not tried the new GT2 seats but if I had to guess, they would not be wide enough for my and the harness guides would be too low.

As far as finding a foldable seat with harness guides, I would check out some fo the recaro offerings... but your height may be the limiting factor for safe harness use.

The Recaro Profi XL SPG only comes in cloth covering but I was able to get Speedware to convince Recaro to cover them in leather. I was told they are the first set ever in leather.
Here are a couple pics in the car:

Old 08-03-2008, 02:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Recaro Profi XL: just right, harness guides are at proper location, my *** fits in the seat, and they fit in the car (Speedware). I tried side mounts on sliders first but could not get the overhead clearance needed with a helmet on. So went to a bottom mount on a slider and it is perfect for me. Although to get clearance at the track, I remove the bottom cushions. On the street, it is fine with the cushions in and of course no helmet.
They look great! Thanks for posting the pics, seems like a good option for me if I can not make mine work.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:45 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check Motordrive. you can customize them to fit right. The holes for the shoulder harness are the highest (I've been told). If you call them they can make them from any materials/fabrics/colors you want. My local race shop swear by them.
The owner of Motordrive is very nice and would do anything to help you out. Worth a phone call...
No affiliation of course : www.motordrive.com

Also they are a sponsor on Caymanclub.net and might get a discount if you are a member.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:55 AM
nat3970
Advanced

These pages with your help and knowledge base are about 50% of the reason to buy a GT3!!

I have a Kirkey now, but I was hoping form something prettier and more of a stock look.

The best way I think is that I will first reposition these seats and try to drive it with and without bottom cusions, I hope that it will be enough.

If than I am still not supported enough, I will try to pit my Kirkey seat in, it fits perfect (I had 3 consecutive one custom made to get it perfect.)
The Kirkey might not fit right in this car and then I wil try XL Recaro seats if those are the longest seat cusion and back I can find, I am a bit worried that an XL recaro is not tight enough around my bud and middle...
No worries Trakcar. I've learned a lot from yours and other related posts.

Invariably no matter how much research one does on a given topic, the collective knowledge of the membership on this forum, puts ones research to shame....
Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,886 Likes on 2,408 Posts

the XL recaro WILL BE tight for you. i am 5'10", 34" waist, 185lbs and i dont move much in the seat!

if you want long seat cushion, race tech has longer cushion for your thighs then any recaro.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:31 AM
nat3970
Advanced

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
I am a big guy as well... 6'4"

I tired all non-custom XL seats that I could find (OMP, Sparco, Recaro) and here is what I found:

OMP Big: did not really like it for some reason when compared to the others
Sparco Evo 3: wings too wide to fit in the car I was told
Sparco Evo 2: my *** too big, harness guides too low etc... but they will fit in the car
Euro GT3 Seat: to narrow and I am not a fan of the praying mantis look

I have not tried the new GT2 seats but if I had to guess, they would not be wide enough for my and the harness guides would be too low.

As far as finding a foldable seat with harness guides, I would check out some fo the recaro offerings... but your height may be the limiting factor for safe harness use.

The Recaro Profi XL SPG only comes in cloth covering but I was able to get Speedware to convince Recaro to cover them in leather. I was told they are the first set ever in leather.
Here are a couple pics in the car:

Thanks for the pics and for the great summary of the various seats you've considered.

Your Recaro's covered in leather look great. I was considering that seat as it was the only one I could find that fits me but did not like the cloth...I'm most likely going to give up on the concept of a folding backrest and go with the Recaro.

Regardless one thing is clear, the GT2 seats are not going to work for me. I went back to dealership to try them out today, took some measurements etc. As much as I like it the seat it was not designed with 6'3" / 240+ in mind. Its not really wide enough and the harness guides are definitely too low. Anyone 6 ft or taller may want to carefully verify the fit.

One piece of information that I'd like to pass along to anyone considering the GT2 seats is that similar to comment that CJ Ichiban mentioned re 996 GT3 seats, the GT2 seat cushion is also very easy to remove and is about 2 inches thick. So if one is closer to having a decent fit with GT2 seat than I am, can remove the cushion and replace it with thinner one while on the track and then put it back for street use.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the great feedback.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:57 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I am 6'5" and 225 (with out my left leg) so I am probably around 245-250 if I had a left leg. So with that in mind I got to try and sit in a new GT2 2 weeks ago and Gt3 seats in a new Carrera S and I could not fit. My knees where in the dash and in the bottom of the steering wheel and there was no head room even with out a helmet.

The seat was adjusted all the way back too. It seems to sit up really high and did not go back as far as stock seats.

I was really bummed because I had these GT2 sport bucket seats on order for my 2009 Carrera S. I think you need to be under 6'2 and 200lbs to properly fit in the GT2 or 3 seats.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:23 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you put your new driver's seat in and leave the passenger's stock you'll still have access to the back seat area. Aesthetics or function, that is the question.

Quick Reply: GT2 Seats - Advice Needed