Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Saw an interesting GT3 at the track today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:42 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Poser.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:45 AM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pardon my ignorance but what's wrong with the Tequipment bar?
I like the sunroof delete though!
Old 08-04-2008, 01:11 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

It offers no protection.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:38 PM
'ringmeister
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Poser.
unless you're getting paid to race for a living I would not be so quick to call out another on the "poser" tag
Old 08-04-2008, 02:02 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks ok to me.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:26 PM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
It offers no protection.
That's an absolute!

I think it offers plenty of protection for the casual driver and will surely assist in a simple roll-over; track days and racing, well that's another story for sure! An playing devils advocate, some will say the TE piece, or any for that matter, is a BAD thing on a street car because of the extra damage it can cause to the chasis/body/frame in a street accident (getting t-boned for instance); it puts too much pressure on the wrong parts of the car.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danpic
That's an absolute!

I think it offers plenty of protection for the casual driver and will surely assist in a simple roll-over; track days and racing, well that's another story for sure! An playing devils advocate, some will say the TE piece, or any for that matter, is a BAD thing on a street car because of the extra damage it can cause to the chasis/body/frame in a street accident (getting t-boned for instance); it puts too much pressure on the wrong parts of the car.
+1. PAG designed the TE bar to offer substantially more protection than none. It's the only bar i know of that has been crash/roll tested. Although one could make the argument welded roll bars designed akin to that of Cup cars have been crashed tested in race crashes. Regardless i know there has been a lot of discussion surrounding the "faulty" seat belt mounting points of the TE bar but keep in mind the bolts used to fasten the bar in require ~22,000lb of pressure to sheer. Now i'm not physicists but it i think it would take quite the roll to sheer those bolts.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

I don't understand why he just didn't get a Cup...he spent enough for the GT3 and he mods.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:23 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I assume he wants to keep it street legal?!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:34 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cfjan
I assume he wants to keep it street legal?!
that steering wheel is not DOT Kosher and not technically legal
Old 08-04-2008, 07:05 PM
spare tire
Racer

Well you all should not get so nit pickey. This gent has a 996 gt3 and this 997 gt3 and they ware both set up and fast. I have also seen a 997 GT3 street car barrel roll 4 times before it came to rest on its wheels. The rolling car did the first two rolls with only an occational corner of the car touching the ground. No bar of any kind was in that car. A tech-equipment bar could only help and not hurt safety.

Neither of his cars see anything but track.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:36 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
I don't understand why he just didn't get a Cup...he spent enough for the GT3 and he mods.

Mr. John Carey built a Cup car out of a base GT3, and I believe it cost him less than just buying a Cup car. He sure seems to know what he is doing, is sponsored, and seems to have a well sorted Cup car. But I really don't know jack about race cars.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Mr. John Carey built a Cup car out of a base GT3, and I believe it cost him less than just buying a Cup car. He sure seems to know what he is doing, is sponsored, and seems to have a well sorted Cup car. But I really don't know jack about race cars.
Dunno, but I think if you take a base GT3 and add all the components for a Cup you or I will spend much more money than a Cup to do it.

The differences between a Cup and a GT3 are considerably more than was noted

But hey, I don't know everything either.

I do know that discussions with folks who know much more than me has caused me to drop any consideration of a GT3 or RS (though I have dreams about GT3 Nut's black on black) and I am very close to moving on a 7Cup.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Curious if during the conversion the M97 was swapped out and an M64/GT1 lump put in its place.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

His car has a bigger wing, wider front and rear end, better front aero, and a 3.8 when compared to a Cup. It seems his car is closer now to an FIA GT3 Cup S race car than a mere Cup spec car.

Edit: never mind, I know there are two crazy modified GT3s on the board, I think I'm talking about one and you're talking about the other.

Quick Reply: Saw an interesting GT3 at the track today...