Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How long do PCCB rotors suppose to last???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:56 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRex
Savy, can you pls give us a rough sense of how much these MovIt babies cost?

I have a sick feelin' that, like J.P. Morgan once commented about yachts, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford one..."
There are some other threads on this forum and another forum that go into a lot of detail. MovIt is an entirely different value proposition than any other brake system. Rotors are monolithic carbon silicon carbide (not chopped fiber like OE PCCB) and last "forever"... and then go to the next car...and the next car...etc.

Therefore rotors are no longer a consumable and pad expense is roughly halved (in the case of rotor kit only). They never fade (of course) and pedal feel (modulation) is quite good. If you screw up badly and let the pad get into the rivets it doesn't damage the friction disc, and you don't have to change pads at 50% wear (as on OE PCCB) to preserve the rotor life.

Weight is roughly comparable to OE PCCB, so you get all the benefits of reduced rotating mass and lower unsprung weight. Brake pad wear is much less wedged so pad flipping is reduced. In the case of a MovIt full system with their calipers, bevel wear is eliminated and pad life goes up to the degree that I wasn't able to determine if/when pads would ever wear out.

The full system which includes billet calipers which are twice as stiff as OE calipers, as well as rotors, is somewhere in the high $20's depending upon currency (Euro) exchange rate and options.

The oversize hat/rotor kit I have been running, 396mm/362mm is now superceded down to a slightly smaller diameter, 392mm/362mm I think, to allow for clearance of wheel weights when using OE wheels. Price on that is low $20's.

Pics are R&D of the full GT3 specific kit in process, spring 2012 availability.
Attached Images   
Old 01-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,482 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Savy, can you pls give us a rough sense of how much these MovIt babies cost?

I have a sick feelin' that, like J.P. Morgan once commented about yachts, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford one..."
circa $25k I believe....

Quick Reply: How long do PCCB rotors suppose to last???