Need Help/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:10 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Help/Advice

Hi All,

I am just about done with my PCCB conversion and now I need to bleed the brake lines and top it off, or change the brake fluid completely.

Could someone tell me a brand of brake fluid that I can mix with what I have that I can buy at my local auto parts store? Or, if I can't mix it, then a decent brand that is approved for the 997 GT3 that I can buy at my local parts store?

I also put in stainless steel braided lines since I was already in there, and I captured about 75% of the brake fluid that was released/contained within the calipers and OEM rubber lines. In total, approximately 8 ounces drained out, but I have 6 ounces of that.

I will order the good stuff later if need be, but I need a quick source for now. If a standard GT3 "street" grade is not available then I will wait, but I was hoping to do some minor testing tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Stephen
Old 07-26-2008, 08:17 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any DOT 3 or 4 is compatible with any other, just stay away from DOT 5.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Any DOT 3 or 4 is compatible with any other, just stay away from DOT 5.
any motorcycle shop should have motul 600, that's DOT4.

while DOT 3 and 4 is interchangeable, somehow porsche service manual insiste 997 and 996 use DOT4. i heard that from my dealer and they will not put DOT 3 in the car.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 PM
340Elise
Banned

Thank you! Motul 600 would be perfect, but I missed the boat on that one if it is only going to be at a motorcycle shop.

I think I will wait until Monday and just get the Motul.

Stephen
Old 07-26-2008, 09:32 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I use the ATF Blue but I was thinking of changing to that $75 a quart stuff (castrol?) becuase
part of the reason PCCBs go bad is because Porsche guys think they are high performance brakes and use them as such. The Brake fluid in our stock cars is not good enough and starts to boil. that throws off the ABS system and it will eat the PCCBs up overmodulating the pads. Putting in the right brake fluid REALLY helps the whole PCCB story too.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:07 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
part of the reason PCCBs go bad is because Porsche guys think they are high performance brakes and use them as such. The Brake fluid in our stock cars is not good enough and starts to boil. that throws off the ABS system and it will eat the PCCBs up overmodulating the pads. Putting in the right brake fluid REALLY helps the whole PCCB story too.
+1 og
Old 07-27-2008, 05:26 AM
340Elise
Banned

I use the ATF Blue but I was thinking of changing to that $75 a quart stuff (castrol?) becuase

I certainly plan on putting in a better fluid in the future, and I am currently researching that. For now I just want to pick up some fluid that I can mix with the stock stuff for now.

PCCB's, to me, have these 3 advantages over the stock brakes, but not much else (of course they also have disadvantages, but seem to be an excellent choice for what I am trying to achieve and my current skill level):

SIGNIFICANT reduction of rotating unsprung mass (44 lbs, ask me how I know), and ALL of it (worth mentioning anyway) is in the rotors only (Did you ask me how I know?).

More fade resistence (based on what I read, but not sure how much).

Hardly any brake dust! Really? That is a nice bonus that I just learned about recently; I gotta see this for myself.

That is about all I can think of right now.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:25 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get brake dust when you use it on track, but less than with other brakes. On the road, I get almost none.

Oh, and you forgot feel. The PCCBs are really feelsome and there's real pleasure in modulating the pressure with them in a way that steel brakes (all of my experience at least) can't match - they are a precision instrument.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:35 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Stephen How do you know?
44 lbs, ask me how I know)
Old 07-27-2008, 10:50 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I use Motul 600 for the track and street and have no complaints. Never any fade and I really hammer my pads and rotors. So for the money I think its a good value and safe if you bleed then after heavy use.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:55 AM
340Elise
Banned

Stephen How do you know?
Because I did the conversion myself and weighed all of the parts taken off, and all the parts going on. All were weighed on the same scale at the same time and with several different techniques, and multiple times, to ensure that the results are accurate.

Quick Reply: Need Help/Advice