Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 north american SUNROOF removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 05:15 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zizu
I can't wait to see the finish product! I'm always looking for your posts, I love what you've done with your GT3.
Seriously I think the non-sunroof mod is a must, it was almost a deal killer for me that the US GT3 was only available with a hole in the roof.

I would like to talk to you about my time line, however I'm not a member and I can't PM you (I'm waiting to be a P.owner).
I did a search and I can't find the pictures of your car since you decided not to sale it anymore, can I have some pictures?
Let me know...
You can't PM me? I seem to remember that before I became a member I just needed a few posts on here and I was good to go. I then quickly became a member (2 year membership) because this is by far the best forum I have ever encountered. The quality of the posts, the knowledge, the comradery, maturity, and most importantly, the common sense and lack of PC bull**** that I find happening on so many other forums.

I don't believe you need to be a Porsche owner to join Rennlist, and the fees are extremely reasonable. You and I both know that you WILL get a GT3, whether it is mine or someone elses does not matter. So I suggest you join right away and unlock the full potential of the forum that sets the bar for the rest of the world; kind of like the GT3!

I should be able to PM you; I will send you my email and phone number so you can do the same.

Take care and come join us "officially!"
Old 07-25-2008, 05:44 PM
daytonaviolet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
No, would not do that. If anything I would go with the CF front fenders and do the WC package from GMG; well, my version of it anyway. I am going to stick with my PCCB's if I ever get them done. Here I am taking a leave of absense from work for 2 months and I can't get myself to finish this project. The hard part is even over (not that it was THAT difficult).
doing the CF fenders would definitely lighten things up front and the WC package will give your car a lot of CF such as mirrors and gt3 wing blade. but, i was thinking of more increasing the rear loock of the car like the RS fenders and also increasing the width/offset of the rear wheel options. yes, PCCB would aslo be a plus.

i believe grussell has done the RS rear fenders on his GT3. so, if one did the sunroof delete option (metal or CF) and the added the RS rear fenders, to me that would be an ideal car.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:50 PM
daytonaviolet
Racer

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
just curious, but does one butcher their GT3 when installing the fatter RS fenders? installation wise?
i believe the RS fenders are mainly for wheel clearence and aesthetics. if you see grussells pics, it shows where the fender was cut and then the tac welds were removed. the RS fenders simply tac weld in the same places. then the two metal ends are joined together. it should not change the structual integrity of the rear of the car as the fenders are just skins and the chassis is not touched.

pics in this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/438805-pics-of-the-arse-being-removed.html
Old 07-25-2008, 06:30 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't PM me? I seem to remember that before I became a member I just needed a few posts on here and I was good to go. I then quickly became a member (2 year membership) because this is by far the best forum I have ever encountered. The quality of the posts, the knowledge, the comradery, maturity, and most importantly, the common sense and lack of PC bull**** that I find happening on so many other forums.

I don't believe you need to be a Porsche owner to join Rennlist, and the fees are extremely reasonable. You and I both know that you WILL get a GT3, whether it is mine or someone elses does not matter. So I suggest you join right away and unlock the full potential of the forum that sets the bar for the rest of the world; kind of like the GT3!

I should be able to PM you; I will send you my email and phone number so you can do the same.

Take care and come join us "officially!"

Thanks 340Elise!
Yes I can PM you. Sorry I thought I couldn't. I am becoming a member, I was just too lazy!
I'll get back to you...
Old 08-03-2008, 07:27 AM
richardmacpherson
Intermediate

GT3 North - Did you go ahead with the roof replacement and was it difficult if so?

Could you also advise on the parts required for upgrading transmission.

Many thanks,

rick
Old 08-03-2008, 08:24 AM
richardmacpherson
Intermediate

GT3 North - Did you go ahead with the roof replacement and was it difficult if so?

Could you also advise on the parts required for upgrading transmission.

Many thanks,

rick
Old 08-04-2008, 06:53 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

If I knew I was keeping my 3 for a long time this would be my first mod. Could you maybe give a few more details of cost and weight reduction. With the CF you glue it in like the M3 I would think. Did you paint the CF roof? I personally would for the stock look, but leaving would not require paint matching and such.
He was talking about his M3 when he had it. His GT3 is plagued with same hole as the rest of us. Is there a way to just remove the electric motor and secure the sunroof in place? That would probably save most of the weight penalty with our non-glass sunroof and could be reversable. you could even just replace the sunroof panel with a cf piece and still have it reversable. just a thought.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:44 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,253 Likes on 610 Posts

Instead of doing the RS fenders, new roof, PCCB conversion, I found it much easier to simply sell my gt3 and buy an RS. lol
Old 08-05-2008, 04:30 AM
Thomas Crown
Advanced

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Instead of doing the RS fenders, new roof, PCCB conversion, I found it much easier to simply sell my gt3 and buy an RS. lol
Very True. I know one for sale here in CA. Orange/Black at $160 range. I am starting to think I should have as I drive much less than I anticipated. RS would been perfect. Just keep on tracking... and line up for next RS
Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 AM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
Is there a way to just remove the electric motor and secure the sunroof in place? That would probably save most of the weight penalty with our non-glass sunroof and could be reversable. you could even just replace the sunroof panel with a cf piece and still have it reversable. just a thought.
Oakley Design offer this option as well. A CF piece replace the sunroof and is fixed in place.
I think replacing the roof with the Porsche part is a better, cheaper option and not that difficult since the roof is just tack welded.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:41 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,253 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Crown
Very True. I know one for sale here in CA. Orange/Black at $160 range. I am starting to think I should have as I drive much less than I anticipated. RS would been perfect. Just keep on tracking... and line up for next RS
I've got my name on the list already for that too.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 north american SUNROOF removal?