Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 north american SUNROOF removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:07 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts
Default 997 GT3 north american SUNROOF removal?

can anybody tell me how much work is involved to remove the sunroof roof panel and install a light weight roof panel in the 997 GT3?

For clubsport/roll cage installation/competition purposes of course.

(im aware one can install a clubsport/cage with sunroof option with limited modifications, however i would like to know how much of a racket removing the roof would be anyways?)
Old 07-24-2008, 01:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

easy to remove. tack welded only.
the non sunroof skin is pretty cheap too. less than $500 USD last i chk'd.
BUT, if you want interior roof liner, that is VERY expensive.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:41 AM
daytonaviolet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just like what mooty said.. its not very difficult. in fact, i did something similar to my e46 m3. i removed my metal roof, sunroof and sunroof headliner. then i tac welded a support beam and then glued in the oem CSL carbon fiber roof. i then installed the non sunroof version of the headliner. it gave me about 1.5" of head clearence and best of all.. i removed about 50lbs off the highest part of the car. im sure the work involved in the 997 is identical except you'd be tac welding on the new metal roof instead of glueing it. i wonder how much of a weight savings would that be for the 997?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:12 AM
Thomas Crown
Advanced

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
can anybody tell me how much work is involved to remove the sunroof roof panel and install a light weight roof panel in the 997 GT3?

For clubsport/roll cage installation/competition purposes of course.

(im aware one can install a clubsport/cage with sunroof option with limited modifications, however i would like to know how much of a racket removing the roof would be anyways?)
Not too difficult. I too, had my sunroofed car removed for CF roof.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:29 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Crown
Not too difficult. I too, had my sunroofed car removed for CF roof.
If I knew I was keeping my 3 for a long time this would be my first mod. Could you maybe give a few more details of cost and weight reduction. With the CF you glue it in like the M3 I would think. Did you paint the CF roof? I personally would for the stock look, but leaving would not require paint matching and such.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Run a search on the 997 GT3 forum, I had an estimate done at a Porsche body shop. Be careful with the welding, it's very technical.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:24 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oakley design is offering a carbon roof. I called them a while ago and they said it's easy to replace. I think they said you save around 45-50lbs.
My first mod once I get my GT3. I can't stand a sunroof on a sport car.

Last edited by zizu; 07-24-2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 07-24-2008, 06:29 PM
zizu
Racer

Originally Posted by 340Elise
If I knew I was keeping my 3 for a long time this would be my first mod. Could you maybe give a few more details of cost and weight reduction. With the CF you glue it in like the M3 I would think. Did you paint the CF roof? I personally would for the stock look, but leaving would not require paint matching and such.

340Elise
Are you planning on selling your car? I really like it, beautiful. Since you are doing very tasteful mods I can wait so the car will be perfect then...
Old 07-24-2008, 06:32 PM
daytonaviolet
Racer

after changing the roof to non-sunroof.. how about changing out to the RS fenders too
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 PM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by daytonaviolet
after changing the roof to non-sunroof.. how about changing out to the RS fenders too
I did
Old 07-24-2008, 11:24 PM
daytonaviolet
Racer

Originally Posted by grussell
I did
yes.. i know. im patiently waiting for the finished pics
Old 07-25-2008, 02:46 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by daytonaviolet
No, would not do that. If anything I would go with the CF front fenders and do the WC package from GMG; well, my version of it anyway. I am going to stick with my PCCB's if I ever get them done. Here I am taking a leave of absense from work for 2 months and I can't get myself to finish this project. The hard part is even over (not that it was THAT difficult).
Old 07-25-2008, 02:56 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by zizu
340Elise
Are you planning on selling your car? I really like it, beautiful. Since you are doing very tasteful mods I can wait so the car will be perfect then...
I might. I really want to buy my next door neighbors house (literally right next door) because they have a 3 car garage and a 4th spot on the side of the house with a gate! I could finally have my dream garage and install a lift and have a work area (currently my living room while I watch the Discovery Channel, or should I say The Deadliest Catch Channel!). You should see the carpet in front of my couch where I sit. Just a big black area that I clean every once in awhile. It also has a lot of food stains!

If you like my car now, wait until I am done with this next iteration. It will be even better!

But anyway, if I buy the house I was thinking of keeping the one I am in and renting it out. I am right next to an Air Force base and my neighborhood is very popular regardless of the housing market for both selling and renting homes. I would then want to sell one of my cars, either the GT3 or the Exige S. When I finish with the GT3 I will have to do a back to back and make my decision then.

If you really are interested, let me know your time line and maybe we can work something out.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:23 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

just curious, but does one butcher their GT3 when installing the fatter RS fenders? installation wise?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 AM
zizu
Racer

Originally Posted by 340Elise
If you like my car now, wait until I am done with this next iteration. It will be even better!

If you really are interested, let me know your time line and maybe we can work something out.
I can't wait to see the finish product! I'm always looking for your posts, I love what you've done with your GT3.
Seriously I think the non-sunroof mod is a must, it was almost a deal killer for me that the US GT3 was only available with a hole in the roof.

I would like to talk to you about my time line, however I'm not a member and I can't PM you (I'm waiting to be a P.owner).
I did a search and I can't find the pictures of your car since you decided not to sale it anymore, can I have some pictures?
Let me know...

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 north american SUNROOF removal?