997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default new RMS theory...

- just got my new RMS
- this is number 2
- car has 30,000kms
- each lasted about 15,000kms
- chatted up my new service guy (moved to toronto) let him know i knew about all the isues
- he said he just spent a few days at the training facility and the issue came up
- according to him, the new explanation is RMS gets fatigued from the heat
- said it doesn't happen on the automatics as the torque converter also absorbs some of the heat

- thought? bs? possible?

- new dealerships also seems cool about tracking and gave me no issues a all
- i have bought pads from them (P50 greens) car has half cage harnesses 996gt3 seats so there was no hidding the fact
- also the Paul Guard LSD would have been obvious as well

paul
Old 07-13-2008, 02:12 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i relate it to your 996 gt3 seats.

get rid of those immediately.

i'll pick them up asap.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:35 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

If it is fatigue then why did my first RMS show a leak at 200 miles or so after delivery of the car new. The second one started to leak within several hundred miles of its' installation. Don't know about the latest seal as the car remains at the dealer until Porsche Na makes a decision about the oil pressure issue. It has sat there fro almost three weeks with no resolution and it is not the dealers fault, Porsche appears is ignoring the issue..... oh well tomorrow starts another week and perhaps one that will bring a solution and my car home.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:49 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Lemon Law?
Old 07-13-2008, 06:30 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Lemon Law?

Yes that is, I'm afraid what it is coming to as I have owned the car not quite 11 months and it has spent a total of over 5 weeks in the shop for either this oil pressure thing or several RMS replacements. My one reservation is that it took me so long to get one from allocation to order to delivery and the GT3 is a fantastic vehicle BUT. As I have said so many times the dealer has been outstanding, but is not getting support from Porsche... or at least not yet, and form the owner down they have certainly tried. The owner has even offered to do whatever he can so I don't lose any money but their is still the issue of there are no more GT3's. May go back and trick up a Cayman S or he has even offered to get me a 2009 Carrera S as quickly as he can. I am truly appreciative of everything they have done. Hopefully this week will bring resolution and I will bring the GT3 home to enjoy.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

from my experience on a 16000 mile car, i highly doubt it's heat fatigue.
the first 12k miles was done in 7 month and car was literally on track all the time. first RMS was 1000 miles.

then the car was not driven for quite some time and was not tracked much. RMS just replace.

so then why did i need RMS when the car was driven hard, hot all the time and then RMS again when it's used mostly for street touring?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:14 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fatigue "shmatigue".
My 04GT3 had 25K, no leaks ever, no matter how hard it was driven or how long it sat.

If some cars have it and some cars never get it, the only variable is the installation - whether that be at the factory, OR at the replacement time.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
Fatigue "shmatigue".
My 04GT3 had 25K, no leaks ever, no matter how hard it was driven or how long it sat.

If some cars have it and some cars never get it, the only variable is the installation - whether that be at the factory, OR at the replacement time.
996gt3 are rare to have RMS
but the NEW and IMPROVED 997gt3 seems to have advanced RMS syndrome.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:38 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
If it is fatigue then why did my first RMS show a leak at 200 miles or so after delivery of the car new. The second one started to leak within several hundred miles of its' installation. Don't know about the latest seal as the car remains at the dealer until Porsche Na makes a decision about the oil pressure issue. It has sat there fro almost three weeks with no resolution and it is not the dealers fault, Porsche appears is ignoring the issue..... oh well tomorrow starts another week and perhaps one that will bring a solution and my car home.
I agree first leak was at 1200 miles the second one was at 300 miles and it was from December to January not hot at all in the middle of winter.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:06 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Just got my car back today after replacement #1 at 5K. Hoping for the best!

Latest issue of Excellence has some discussion about the unsupported weight of the dual mass (std GT3) flywheel leading to fatigue and movement of the seal. Any sense in this? I think it was Bruce A's commentary...
Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Dunno about the flywheel theory. The GT3RS with a light flywheel all have the leaky seal. I am on my second one. Local techs don't think the new seal/spacer and special tool is a permanent fix. Have not met anyone with an RS who does not have a leak.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Have not met anyone with an RS who does not have a leak.
8K miles, mostly track, no leak issues. Oil/Filter changed about every other track weekend
Old 07-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

is this RMS problem the lead for the new engine for the next GT3?

I don't have a GT3 yet, but it is disturbing to read about this issue. Seems like if you use the car too much, or too little, it will still happen.

Of course they are cool with the car being used for the track. It is designed to be used on the track.

As much as I love Porsche, this persistent RMS issue is poor engineering by Porsche. It is not a new technology. They have lots of time to improve it before it hits the 997GT3.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:40 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- just got my new RMS
- this is number 2
- car has 30,000kms
- each lasted about 15,000kms
- chatted up my new service guy (moved to toronto) let him know i knew about all the isues
- he said he just spent a few days at the training facility and the issue came up
- according to him, the new explanation is RMS gets fatigued from the heat
- said it doesn't happen on the automatics as the torque converter also absorbs some of the heat

- thought? bs? possible?

- new dealerships also seems cool about tracking and gave me no issues a all
- i have bought pads from them (P50 greens) car has half cage harnesses 996gt3 seats so there was no hidding the fact
- also the Paul Guard LSD would have been obvious as well

paul

I think I would call bs as well. The cup cars use the same seal and we have a 6 and a 7 with no RMS issues. The 6 has 12k track miles on it and is dry as a bone.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:32 PM
flash1034
Pro

My 07 GT3 has 5k miles and no RMS issue.

Flash

Quick Reply: new RMS theory...