Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

There are 4 GT2's on Ebay!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:53 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts
Default There are 4 GT2's on Ebay!!!

These cars are going to be coming down very soon!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:54 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealers saw what happened to the rs and they thought the same thing would happen to the gt2. My sales guy even called me 1 year ago and asked for my input and I told him no way but all the sales guys and managers wanted in on the action. In 2 years this car will be 100k just like the 996gt2
Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 PM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default gt2

there are plenty of cars sitting at p dealers unsold. what I dont understand is how they are unsold at the dealers asking 40k over sticker yet some people are still trying to get 80-100k over. I tihnk the cars are worth 175-180k max
Old 06-30-2008, 11:05 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is this GT2 you speak of? Is it some sort of Porsche model?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's no suprise. Car flippers at work. Everyone knew it would happen.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:19 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche sent out very elaborate promotional materials on the GT2 to its good customers, but the local dealership was unable to get any cars allocated. Now they are for sale at grossly inflated prices on eBay, and it appears that there are many cars unsold, even at the dealerships.

Not a very good experience for sincere customers. IMHO
Old 07-01-2008, 03:25 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Porsche sent out very elaborate promotional materials on the GT2 to its good customers, but the local dealership was unable to get any cars allocated. Now they are for sale at grossly inflated prices on eBay, and it appears that there are many cars unsold, even at the dealerships.

Not a very good experience for sincere customers. IMHO
Removing my very poorly written comment about the GT2. Sorry guys and gals.

Stephen

Last edited by 340Elise; 07-23-2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot!
Old 07-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

It's only the best road going car ever, according to Walter Röhl...
Old 07-01-2008, 03:54 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by 340Elise
We already know that GT2 sucks anyway. I would much, much rather take a base GT3 and put in some real go fast parts, such as for the WC GT3 from GMG, and come out spending much less. Then bring the car down to about 2,850 lbs, do a 3.8 or 3.9 conversion, and kick the GT2 all over the track. Unless of course the GT2 is also modified to make 1,200 hp, or whatever the norm is these days on these types of cars. If it already has pretty bad turbo lag, and is just a handful to drive (even for a pro), then adding more power will only make it less driveable and less balanced and make it an even worse car. But hey, if you can brag about your $300K GT2 with 800 hp, that must be worth something!
Come on let's not be ignorant... My RUF GT2 has tons of power, no traction issues, insane handling with motons and all of the confidence you would ever need to go all out in it, NO LAG, etc..

Even stock they are fantastic, it's why we have options, don't sell them short!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A black one just sold @ manhattan motorcars for 280.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:26 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DM993tt
A black one just sold @ manhattan motorcars for 280.
Proving what?

That in Manhattan they have more dollars than sense?

I can see that car trolling the streets...
Old 07-01-2008, 05:58 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Come on let's not be ignorant... My RUF GT2 has tons of power, no traction issues, insane handling with motons and all of the confidence you would ever need to go all out in it, NO LAG, etc..

Even stock they are fantastic, it's why we have options, don't sell them short!
+1

Money matters aside, our 1200~ miles in the GT2 on road and track showed it to be MORE confidence-inspiring than the 997 GT3/RS, not less, with a whole 'nuther level of performance available thanks to the low-down (and vastly superior) torque. It's also VERY well balanced in use.

It's okay to like the GT3 better, and I am normally an NA guy myself, but make no mistake: in a pro's hands, the 997 GT2 will shred the 997 GT3 and, in a mere mortal's hands (like mine) I am pretty sure it will be quite a bit quicker, too.

The new GT2 also pretty fun...

pete

P.S. I am not saying that the price isn't important (it is), just that I don't agree with maligning the car based on its apparent market situation. Cayman Ss are tough for dealers to move (like the GT2, a pricing mistake IMHO), but they're a brilliant drive...

Also, the money can be looked at different ways. How many new cars can better the 2's performance in such a useable, polished package for $200k? Not *my* logic, but I can its merit.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
+1

Money matters aside, our 1200~ miles in the GT2 on road and track showed it to be MORE confidence-inspiring than the 997 GT3/RS, not less, with a whole 'nuther level of performance available thanks to the low-down (and vastly superior) torque. It's also VERY well balanced in use.

It's okay to like the GT3 better, and I am normally an NA guy myself, but make no mistake: in a pro's hands, the 997 GT2 will shred the 997 GT3 and, in a mere mortal's hands (like mine) I am pretty sure it will be quite a bit quicker, too.

The new GT2 also pretty fun...

pete

P.S. I am not saying that the price isn't important (it is), just that I don't agree with maligning the car based on its apparent market situation. Cayman Ss are tough for dealers to move (like the GT2, a pricing mistake IMHO), but they're a brilliant drive...

Also, the money can be looked at different ways. How many new cars can better the 2's performance in such a useable, polished package for $200k? Not *my* logic, but I can its merit.
Good balanced comment. Also, you have to look at the numbers of the GT2 inventory. Its only 177 for the US, a lot less than al other cars available in that price range (F430, Gallardo, Aston, etc..). Obviously, not all will sell at the $280K marked up price, but undoubtely the MSRP price is one that will clear the market IMO.

This one is no 996 GT2, which was a half-arsed product which few people later discovered that can be fixed to create an awesome (track) car, but the damage to the market price was already done as the car had awful reviews by the press.

So far, no one had said a bad thing about the 7 GT2 other than it is more expensive than a 7 GT3
Old 07-01-2008, 10:21 PM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys I realize a lot of us buy our cars and other toys for cash...but nobody is immune from wealth destruction of horrendous economic cycle we are in middle of. Porsche sales, are finally falling along with BMW's and all the others. I'm not sure which middle eastern or russian oil barron converted his Euro's to dollars to pay 280k for the car in NY...but good luck to those long GT2's trying to profit from above msrp arb as the mkt is moving away from them quickly.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:30 PM
rsman
Instructor

+1. I had the pleasure of going around the ring with a Carrera Cup racer in his new 997 GT2 who had sold his GT3 rs and was not sure about his decision till he drove the GT2 and in his view the GT2 is a significantly better car. We then took a hot lap with tc and sc turned off and pasm in sport and he proceeded to anniliate everything on the track. I have had many fast laps on the ring in GT3 and GT3 rs and this was a totally new dimension and I can assure you that in the hands of a goood driver the GT2 will run circles around a GT3 / RS and the 2 has better front / rear balance imo with better grip. Although expensive , the car is a bargain for that level of perfomance and sophistication when compared to the amount of money you need to shell out for an Italian exotic offering similar perfomance. Think of the car as a GT3 RS with 200ft/lbs more torque and 115 more hp offering better balance ie. less understeer in stock form and enhanced grip and you will start to get the picture. Just because you don't like the price or can't afford one, don't crap on the car because its killer and will leave a GT3 for dead. The only thing the 3 has going fot it that can't be duplicated in the 2 is the sound, but having said that the 2 has a unique sound that is also quite cool particularly in the mid-range. Tunnels are great.

Quick Reply: There are 4 GT2's on Ebay!!!