Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

There are 4 GT2's on Ebay!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Now, if I only liked the way the GT2 looks as much as I do the GT3/RS.

I wonder if styling has anything to do with 997 GT2 values, present and future -- or if it's just the 996 GT2 residuals story (a good looking car in my book, maybe best of all 996s) all over again. If so, then there will be some great deals to be had...

Every car has its fans, but what I don't hear is a lot of people talking up the looks of the new 2. While I have always cared more about the driving (which would explain my strange ownership history of ugly cars), looks do matter -- and I would think they definitely matter in this market. After a friend took delivery of a 997 GT2, and before I got the press car, he and I sat there looking at it. It was a "nope." He didn't keep it.

Never really dug the press car's looks, either.

pete
Old 07-02-2008, 01:08 PM
h-bo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excmag... I think you are very right about this. I love my 997gt2, especially running circles around gt3s on the track, but there are two senses which aren't really stimulated enough.
I put red wheels on it in the hope of making it as agressive looking as possible.. it works.... to a certain extent.... and I could put another exhaust on...but it will never look or sound as fast as a green gt3rs on full throttle unfortunately!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by awilks
Guys I realize a lot of us buy our cars and other toys for cash...but nobody is immune from wealth destruction of horrendous economic cycle we are in middle of. Porsche sales, are finally falling along with BMW's and all the others. I'm not sure which middle eastern or russian oil barron converted his Euro's to dollars to pay 280k for the car in NY...but good luck to those long GT2's trying to profit from above msrp arb as the mkt is moving away from them quickly.
agreed !!!! ferraris burnin down fast also. got to be sure that car you think is cheap is not overpriced for the next market drop that happens tommorow!!!

serious world bending market starting as the oil age ends these toys are going to get cheap, as this cycle will get really bad

this 2 sounds like a track car and almost useless on the bumps here,
Old 07-04-2008, 01:26 PM
AndreCT
Racer

Originally Posted by 340Elise
We already know that GT2 sucks anyway.
Really - sucks is such a strong word! Many other drivers, some of whom feature amongst the best in the world would beg to differ.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:17 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

7/23 update

There are now 8 GT2's on Ebay...prices will be coming down shortly
Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richk
7/23 update

There are now 8 GT2's on Ebay...prices will be coming down shortly
already are!

i was at a dealer two days ago and he was giving me all stories and attitude about his 50 over mark up and how he was going to do me a favor going to 40

they can be had much cheaper and when he followed up i told him so and he accused my of fabrication. told him that he should get his premium ASAP since it will soon be gone

Porsches are already margin masters, i don't completely agree with the greed

bad summer for new models and high premiums

yes, Watt. F-cars are also dropping faster than a Naples condo right about now...
Old 07-23-2008, 10:16 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreCT
Really - sucks is such a strong word! Many other drivers, some of whom feature amongst the best in the world would beg to differ.

I agree, I apologize publicly for writing that. I will edit my comment. I don't know why I wrote that. Ambien can do strange things to the mind!

I like the GT2 very much and just read the article in Excellence. It was an excellent article and found it to be fair.

Once again, I am sorry for my comment.

Stephen
Old 07-27-2008, 01:24 AM
MFC996
Instructor

9 on Ebay as of midnight 7/27. Buy it now prices look to be coming down too.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:34 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

It's overpriced. That's a simple and true statement in my opinion. I mean even at msrp it's around 80k more than a 3. That's crazy for a couple turbos.

However, it's not a bad car. It's going to be faster than a 3 because it has 115 more hp and loads more torque. If you hate turbos, then it's not the car for you, if you like them or are indifferent, then you'll probably enjoy the power. The longer I'm into cars the less I look at them in stock form and the more I think about potential. Is it easy to setup the way I would want? Are parts going to break? How's the weight distribution and aero? The 2s seem like excellent platforms to me. Finally, stock, the 997 GT2 seems better setup than 996 version so what's to complain about? Do the suspension and you'll be showing cups your tail lights all day long.

That being said, I'd probably stick with a 3 if I had the choice because they are so much cheaper. The price delta would have to be probably less than 40-50k for me to think it's worth it. I love spending dream money...
Old 07-27-2008, 02:36 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

My BMW salesman went to work at a large SoCal Porsche dealership. I just got off the phone with him because he is back at BMW and I am looking at getting my wife another 335i. He said the economy has hit the high end Porsches hard. They were hoping to make a killing off the GT2 even more than they did on the RS and GT3, but most of thier buyers backed out when they started asking 100k over. When he left they he said buyers were laughing at them at 40K over. The GT2 maybe significantly better than a RS but its not going to KILL an RS, thats BS. Its not like the RS is a Beetle and the GT2 is a Veyron. I agree its better but lets not go over the edge. And as Pete said the RS is better looking and IMHO so is the std GT3.
I think the economy is going to hit the 997 GT2 just as the 996 GT2 got hit pricewise and I dont
believe manhattan motors sold one for 280. That place got a not so nice rep over on 6 speed and
it looks like that carries over here.
Part of this is just bad timing for Porsche and the GT2. What amazes me is after all the bad taste from
the dealers on RSs and ripping loyal customers off that they continue to try that with the GT2 and in this economy!
To me its overpriced at MSRP and I have no interest in it.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:02 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I said it many times but once again: The GT2 was DOA, due to stupid "Dealer" antics. I have been approached about 4 different cars in the past two weeks. It is going to get much worse (imo). The irony is that if the cars had been offered to loyal customers at MSRP, they would all be gone. CGT all over again.

(IMO) It takes a "pro driver" to extract the performance of an RS or GT2, and the RS is just so much more visceral to amateurs. Again..game over!

The patient buyer will be able to pick this car up for less than MSRP, of the total production run there are still quite a few to be delivered; and they are already stacking up.

It is not Porsches' problem, it is a Dealer (Franchise Laws) greed problem and the chickens always come home to roost.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:28 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Colm I agree with you a 100%. It will be almost humorous to watch after the dealer stunts pulled
with the RS. And as you say the debut timing of the GT2 couldnt be more worse, with the economy
in the toiety. If I pulled a few strings I could afford a GT2 (at MSRP or lower) if I sacrifice my GT3.
If I had a lower level of ethics I would let it be known I want a GT2 and then pull the same kind
of stunts they pulled on me while looking for a RS. But I wouldnt do that.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:48 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it comes to spending this kind of money, you want something that looks good. The GT2 just doesn't deliver. Don't get me wrong it seams like a brilliant car, better than a CGT according to a lot of magazines and better than a RS (Excellence Mag) but it doesn't look nearly as good as a RS... Call me lame but I wouldn't by one for this reason alone (if I could afford one). Design is very important to me...
Old 07-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

2 things:

1) at MSRP, these cars sell in minutes. This is my personal experience.

2) the margin on this car is quite small compared to other porsches, so the temptation for dealers to charge over has got to be high. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with it, but i certainly see why it would happen. a gt2 with an msrp over 200k has less margin than a 142 turbo cab.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfie
2 things:

1) at MSRP, these cars sell in minutes. This is my personal experience.

2) the margin on this car is quite small compared to other porsches, so the temptation for dealers to charge over has got to be high. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with it, but i certainly see why it would happen. a gt2 with an msrp over 200k has less margin than a 142 turbo cab.
i am not criticizing you. but if i were a porsche dealer based on margin as you stated, i would trade all my GT2 allocation with other dealers TT and sell TT all day long with big margin. that will make more money faster than selling the 2 GT2 allocations a BIG dealer would get. even at 50k over, they will still make more profit selling turbos.

Quick Reply: There are 4 GT2's on Ebay!!!