997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

There are 4 GT2's on Ebay!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008 | 03:23 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Overpriced at msrp, absurd at market values. I'd take a new Scuderia in a heartbeat over a GT2.

I'll have my eye on a GT2 a year or two.
Old 07-27-2008 | 04:51 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Overpriced at msrp, absurd at market values. I'd take a new Scuderia in a heartbeat over a GT2.

I'll have my eye on a GT2 a year or two.
...and under your hypothetical assumptions, for how much do you think you can buy a Scuderia nowadays?

last one I saw at Ebay sold for $500K!
Not a real option to a GT2

As someone said before the dealer franchise laws in the US is what make all this suck! Give more power to the manufacturers and things will be much different (as in the rest of the world).

The real question is not a value. It's always hard for the most expensive alternative to win in price/performance (The GT3 will always be better value).

My guess is that most that want and can afford (very important condition, as for the rest is just speculative theoretical speak in which we can all come up with winning arguments), what car would you buy today that can be:

- A true supercar with 500+hp
- Reliable
- Can be a real daily driver
- Can be taken to one or more track days, and driven at 10/10 all day long with NO issues

?
Old 07-27-2008 | 04:57 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Alfie with all due respect you're well respected here. SO that means you have a LONG line of customers
and no matter what vehicle you have, you probably have someone waiting on it. I am guessing your dealership probably doesnt get 8 allocations of GT2s. So your experience is not typical. You have been here for years and I dont know of other salesmen in my area that have the kind of passion you do, or your track record. So What I am saying is you have so much penache, that you're not the typical salesperson. And my experience is that even Porsche salespeople are just typical salespeople. If you
were closer I would buy my cars from you
Old 07-27-2008 | 07:25 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgomez
..., what car would you buy today that can be:

- Reliable
- Can be taken to one or more track days, and driven at 10/10 all day long with NO issues

?
Hey! That's a loaded question (but it is your question after all)

If you take out the 500+ Horsepower I 'll give you a few that are very reliable; and some don't even have RMS leaks. The GT2 is in the middle of the pack (value wise), but remember it is only my opinion.

Mercedes CLK 6.3 Black Series, the value for current money king, by a country mile.

Maserati Grand Sport S

GT3/GT3RS, the visceral winner

GT2 the whoosh factor

F430 (any variant) the panache car. Highly reliable too.

Alfa 8C, the ultimate king of style. Based upon above should be reliable

And if you really stretch the HP/weight issue, there are one or two guys here who might want to throw in a Lotus just for laughs!
Old 07-27-2008 | 10:28 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Colm
Mercedes CLK 6.3 Black Series, the value for current money king, by a country mile.

Maserati Grand Sport S

GT3/GT3RS, the visceral winner

GT2 the whoosh factor

F430 (any variant) the panache car. Highly reliable too.

Alfa 8C, the ultimate king of style. Based upon above should be reliable

And if you really stretch the HP/weight issue, there are one or two guys here who might want to throw in a Lotus just for laughs!
contents of my dream garage ^
Old 07-27-2008 | 11:08 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cgomez
...and under your hypothetical assumptions, for how much do you think you can buy a Scuderia nowadays?

last one I saw at Ebay sold for $500K!
Not a real option to a GT2

As someone said before the dealer franchise laws in the US is what make all this suck! Give more power to the manufacturers and things will be much different (as in the rest of the world).

The real question is not a value. It's always hard for the most expensive alternative to win in price/performance (The GT3 will always be better value).

My guess is that most that want and can afford (very important condition, as for the rest is just speculative theoretical speak in which we can all come up with winning arguments), what car would you buy today that can be:

- Reliable

?
It's called a Ferrari F430 Scuderia.
Old 07-28-2008 | 05:32 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Update

Now eleven (11) 2008 GT2's on ebay

Bill
Old 07-28-2008 | 07:16 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

I'm still waiting one one to be posted for sale in this section.
Old 07-28-2008 | 07:29 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

News flash: Now 12!

lol
Old 07-28-2008 | 08:11 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
It's called a Ferrari F430 Scuderia.
Bluehinder,

Have you ever been on a track with any of your cars?
An RS with 20 miles= no
Audi R8. I'll bet you haven't been over 100 in it
430 Spyder. I'm thinking no.
997 Cab No again
How many Ferrari's have you owned and tracked to be able to comment on the Scuderia? Seeing as they are just hitting the US market it seems pretty much no one has enough experience to make your claim, even if they just read about it...
Old 07-29-2008 | 01:18 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

One of the cars on ebay is available at $25k over sticker. I called this afternoon. Another is available at $30k over sticker.

Given the $100k mark-up from less than 2 months ago, and the fact that ebay does not represent all the GT2 currently in the market, my guess is that at least 1 of every 5 GT2 shipped are looking for an owner.

To make matters worse, there is a rumor of Porsche working on a 600Hp GT2 right now, they probably are not happy that Walter Rohl is getting spanked by a bunch of rookie drivers on American muscle cars in their own home. This 600 Hp GT2 could be the one with with the 7-speed PDK.

This article (from a quite reliable German magazine) mentions the 600 Hp GT2, and the 535Hp Audi R8 V10 intentions to break the ZR-1 lap record (doubtful).

http://www.automotorsport.se/news/15...a-runt-ringen/

Old 07-29-2008 | 01:22 AM
richk
Drifting

There is a GT2 in LA that can be bought for 20K over...the dealer has been sitting on it for a month.
Old 07-29-2008 | 01:36 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by richk
There is a GT2 in LA that can be bought for 20K over...the dealer has been sitting on it for a month.
Just wait!
Old 07-29-2008 | 03:10 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
One of the cars on ebay is available at $25k over sticker. I called this afternoon. Another is available at $30k over sticker.

Given the $100k mark-up from less than 2 months ago, and the fact that ebay does not represent all the GT2 currently in the market, my guess is that at least 1 of every 5 GT2 shipped are looking for an owner.

To make matters worse, there is a rumor of Porsche working on a 600Hp GT2 right now, they probably are not happy that Walter Rohl is getting spanked by a bunch of rookie drivers on American muscle cars in their own home. This 600 Hp GT2 could be the one with with the 7-speed PDK.

This article (from a quite reliable German magazine) mentions the 600 Hp GT2, and the 535Hp Audi R8 V10 intentions to break the ZR-1 lap record (doubtful).

http://www.automotorsport.se/news/15...a-runt-ringen/

Walter Rohrl is old. Real old, he ain't taking any risks. Is he a great driver ? Sure but he is no yardstick, actually never was on asphalt.

There are several German Pro drivers including the slightly aged Alzen who would shatter his Ring lap times by a significant margin .

Porsche likes to promote their cars, not hotrod drivers and Rohrl gives them exactly what they want.
Old 07-29-2008 | 03:31 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Also if I remember correctly, the GT2 time was set on something of a public day. He had a few passes actually. I read an article indicating that this is the last time he'll do that and that future records would be set on an empty track. It's too dangerous, but I bet he'd be faster without traffic...

Quick Reply: There are 4 GT2's on Ebay!!!