Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

In-car video at California Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008 | 02:25 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Mike it appears you want to argue for arguements sake. You're entitled to your opinion and to post it publicly. As I stated previously, I think we do a disservice to the readers when we speak in absolutes about racing.

You can downshift all you want. If any of the readers can shift like Leh have at it. Me I choose to forgo the exercise. Let others experiment and make their own choice.....
I remember we had this same conversion two years ago at dinner during a Cal Spdwy event - with Payne at the NY Steak House (I remember the wine) and I mentioned that I was going from 6th to 2nd on the downshift for turn 3.

As I recall you (and the driver of the Bee) chatised me a bit for doing that so the next day I started going through all the gears which I have been doing since.

And now I hear you are doing the opposite.

Trickery, trickery, trickery (to quote Gary Larson).

So, is this why you are faster then me now?

Evil bastard.
Old 07-02-2008 | 02:31 PM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by 4 Kurves
I remember we had this same conversion two years ago at dinner during a Cal Spdwy event - with Payne at the NY Steak House (I remember the wine) and I mentioned that I was going from 6th to 2nd on the downshift for turn 3.

As I recall you (and the driver of the Bee) chatised me a bit for doing that so the next day I started going through all the gears which I have been doing since.

Evil bastard.

John is a master of disinformation. I wish he was working for the GOP!
Old 07-02-2008 | 03:18 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Mike it appears you want to argue for arguements sake. You're entitled to your opinion and to post it publicly. As I stated previously, I think we do a disservice to the readers when we speak in absolutes about racing.

You can downshift all you want. If any of the readers can shift like Leh have at it. Me I choose to forgo the exercise. Let others experiment and make their own choice.....
My questions were genuine. "Leh seems to be using the clutch everytime to me. Can you give me a time stamp where he's not? Do you have any professional sport car racing videos where they don't shift like Leh? Thanks." Mike seems to be really asking as well.

Mike doesn't seem like he wants to argue to me, he told the story as he knows it then gave you the benefit of the doubt by trying to find videos that support you. It's a disservice to the board to not speak in absolutes when the actual situation is absolute. So we are kindly and respectfully requesting evidence of your point. I don't understand your sarcasm and now avoidance of the issue. If what you say has merit, prove it! I'd ask nothing less of myself.
Old 07-02-2008 | 04:14 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by grussell
I 2nd the request!

John, you must have some footage that you can share with us. Are you keeping your speed secrets just that, a secret?
As you well know great stirrer of the pot, I rewind and tape over all my run sessions unless I happen to hit your sorry *** when you over shoot a turn. Somehow I must have already been in second gear...
Old 07-02-2008 | 04:30 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

As you well know great stirrer of the pot, I rewind and tape over all my run sessions unless I happen to hit your sorry *** when you over shoot a turn. Somehow I must have already been in second gear...
Old 07-02-2008 | 04:43 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Evil bastard.
Well 2+ years ago I was downshifting there. Unlike others on this board, I'm willing to experiment and try different approaches. I'm always looking for an edge and 6 to 2nd. works for me coming off the banking though I'm happy to hear your still downshifting.

Edited:
As I look ahead to Laguna I think the turns where I won't go thru the gears downshifting are T-2 (6th to 2nd), T-5 (5th to 3rd), and the final turn onto the front straight (5th to 2nd). YMMV....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 07-02-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2008 | 04:48 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yargk
My questions were genuine. "Leh seems to be using the clutch everytime to me. Can you give me a time stamp where he's not? Do you have any professional sport car racing videos where they don't shift like Leh? Thanks." Mike seems to be really asking as well.

Mike doesn't seem like he wants to argue to me, he told the story as he knows it then gave you the benefit of the doubt by trying to find videos that support you. It's a disservice to the board to not speak in absolutes when the actual situation is absolute. So we are kindly and respectfully requesting evidence of your point. I don't understand your sarcasm and now avoidance of the issue. If what you say has merit, prove it! I'd ask nothing less of myself.
Go away. I don't care what you understand. You're not the type of driver who would benefit from thinking outside the box or Boxster in my case....
Old 07-02-2008 | 05:02 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Well 2+ years ago I was downshifting there. Unlike others on this board, I'm willing to experiment and try different approaches. I'm always looking for an edge and 6 to 2nd. works for me coming off the banking though I'm happy to hear your still downshifting.

Edited:
As I look ahead to Laguna I think the turns where I won't go thru the gears downshifting are T-2 (6th to 2nd), T-5 (5th to 3rd), and the final turn onto the front straight (5th to 2nd). YMMV....
Well personally I found that using only 5th and 6th gears at Laguna is the fast way around. I suggest you try it in the Red race on Saturday. If that doesn't work out then on Sunday you can use just 1st and 2nd gears.

Either one works for me!
Old 07-02-2008 | 06:02 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Go away. I don't care what you understand. You're not the type of driver who would benefit from thinking outside the box or Boxster in my case....
ad hominem. How do you know what kind of driver I am and how is that relevant?
Old 07-02-2008 | 06:07 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Well personally I found that using only 5th and 6th gears at Laguna is the fast way around. I suggest you try it in the Red race on Saturday. If that doesn't work out then on Sunday you can use just 1st and 2nd gears. Either one works for me!
You know I'm actually to have to shift the Boxster there I think. All my previous races to date in that car have been at Willow where I only shift twice. Once downshifting to 3rd going into T-3, and then back into 4th coming out of T-6. Wow, this could really wear me out for the Red group giving you and Garrett an advantage against me in my Cup.....
Old 07-02-2008 | 06:27 PM
grussell
Pro

Fortunately there is plenty of room at Laguna in T2 for both of us even if I over shoot the turn. That is going to be a fun turn this year!

I am just trying to follow your advise from Infineon last year when you were harping on me for over braking. See I take your advise to heart, but maybe a little to far..... Let it roll!
Old 07-02-2008 | 06:36 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yargk
ad hominem. How do you know what kind of driver I am and how is that relevant?
Keith you're missing the bigger picture. I don't care that you or Mike think Leh is letting out the clutch. He might be, he might not but it's irrelevent. I'm not going to spend my time searching the internet for a video showing someone not downshifting under heavy braking. Have at it if you like, but I could care less. Again, it's completely irrelevent.

I offered a conceptual idea to HKE46BOY after watching his video at Cal Speedway, a track I excel on. You're either willing to visualize and attemp to try what I suggested or not. I'm not the least bit interested in trying to convince you or argue the merits. If you think you've got it down to the last millisecond then by all means don't change, don't give it a second thought. Stay with what works for you.

Me, I'm always learning and trying something new. With my new Spec Boxster there hasn't been a session yet where I haven't made some adjustment to the car or my way of driving it. I'm the fastest out there so far this year but I'll try anything that's legal and not fattening if it makes me faster and more competent on the track. I'm going out next week with a winning DP driver in his Spec Boxster(he won't let me drive his big toys). He thinks his setup is better than mine and maybe it is. I doubt it, but I'm willing to experiment and see who has the fastest lap. So far I'm ahead by 1+ seconds...

Keith breathe deeply, enjoy this beautiful summer day, and go drive the bleep out of your car. I'll be at Laguna Aug 22-24 with both cars. Please stop by and say hello....
Old 07-03-2008 | 01:54 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Keith you're missing the bigger picture. I don't care that you or Mike think Leh is letting out the clutch. He might be, he might not but it's irrelevent. I'm not going to spend my time searching the internet for a video showing someone not downshifting under heavy braking. Have at it if you like, but I could care less. Again, it's completely irrelevent.

I offered a conceptual idea to HKE46BOY after watching his video at Cal Speedway, a track I excel on. You're either willing to visualize and attemp to try what I suggested or not. I'm not the least bit interested in trying to convince you or argue the merits. If you think you've got it down to the last millisecond then by all means don't change, don't give it a second thought. Stay with what works for you.

Me, I'm always learning and trying something new. With my new Spec Boxster there hasn't been a session yet where I haven't made some adjustment to the car or my way of driving it. I'm the fastest out there so far this year but I'll try anything that's legal and not fattening if it makes me faster and more competent on the track. I'm going out next week with a winning DP driver in his Spec Boxster(he won't let me drive his big toys). He thinks his setup is better than mine and maybe it is. I doubt it, but I'm willing to experiment and see who has the fastest lap. So far I'm ahead by 1+ seconds...

Keith breathe deeply, enjoy this beautiful summer day, and go drive the bleep out of your car. I'll be at Laguna Aug 22-24 with both cars. Please stop by and say hello....
I like that. I understand your point of just trying it and I suppose I'm a little hung up on what's the "best" technique and concrete reasons and empirical evidence. I suppose the best is what makes you fastest and if you're faster than everyone in a particular class and you believe that technique helps, then there's some evidence. Hope to see you in August and have a happy 4th. ( I'm waiting for some work on my 930 to be finished by ImagineAuto before I can track it again though.)
Old 07-03-2008 | 02:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Well personally I found that using only 5th and 6th gears at Laguna is the fast way around. I suggest you try it in the Red race on Saturday. If that doesn't work out then on Sunday you can use just 1st and 2nd gears.

Either one works for me!
hahaha, i like that technique.
T2 and T3 are great with 5th and 6th i was told
Old 07-03-2008 | 05:40 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
hahaha, i like that technique.
T2 and T3 are great with 5th and 6th i was told
I heard laguna used to not have 3,4 so you'd go from 2 to 5. In that case 5th and 6th might work...

Quick Reply: In-car video at California Speedway