Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 values seem to be holding pretty strong

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 PM
webster132
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 values seem to be holding pretty strong

So I've been kinda playing with the idea of trading in the GT3 on another F430 and was pleasantly surprised by the trade-in number that they cooked up. My MSRP is 123 and the trade-in number before any negotiation was 112 with 3400 miles. I don't think I've ever had a car for 6 months that appears to have held its value that well. Go Porsche for producing such limited numbers of these!

Now I just have to debate with myself whether I actually want to go through with it. Seems there are quite a difference of opinion as to how track-suitable the F430 is/can easily be made. I must admit that as a street car, the GT3 doesn't really ring all the bells for me, but it's so nice on the track that I'd hate to give up more than 20% of that.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,359 Likes on 630 Posts

big benefit of the GT3 on track is that all the stuff you're gonna tear up in minor off track excursions is rubber, very replaceable, and doesn't require bodywork.

I'm certain that a 360CS or a 430 would be amazing on the track, but how much more will you be willing to push a gt3 to the limit rather than a Ferrari?

what year F430 are you looking at?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:40 PM
webster132
Intermediate

I'm not sure I follow why the things bending on a GT3 would only be rubber? If I hit a tire wall, I'm pretty sure it'll take more than the front plastic spoiler with it . But it's no doubt cheaper to repair body work on a GT3 than on a F430.

Looking at preferably an early F430 since they stayed pretty much the same through the entire build and the 05s are available for something like 190 now.

I've also been considering the Gallardo Superleggera, but I already have a G Spider (which is a surprisingly fun car to track despite the weight), so that'd probably be a bit too close.

Ultimately, I would have loved to have a Scuderia, but I'm just not going to pay 290 sticker + 50-75 over to make that happen.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:45 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are holding strong indeed.. How about a trade for my RUF GT2 for a little bit lol
Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by webster132

Ultimately, I would have loved to have a Scuderia, but I'm just not going to pay 290 sticker + 50-75 over to make that happen.
Two Scuderias have resold in the USA. One sold for $185K over MSRP and the other went for $200K over MSRP.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:29 PM
webster132
Intermediate

n2cars, the 50-75 over is based on talking to dealers about getting a car late this year. If you want it RIGHT NOW, then yes, you're easily looking at 150+. I don't think more than a couple of cars have traded hands like that, though.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:29 PM
am722
Drifting

They seem to be doing quite well, going for very close to original MSRP for low-mileage cars. Frankly, 10% off of your original sticker is probably too low, especially if you have PCCBs.

Of course, some enterprising dealers seem to think even MSRP is pessimistic, and that $30k+ over original sticker is a fair price for a used no-option car. http://michael-stead.porschedealer.c...ntoryid=414261

And by "enterprising," I of course mean "bat-sh_t crazy." I hope that car comes with a free boxster.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:04 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Wink ...is it a deal?

Originally Posted by webster132
So I've been kinda playing with the idea of trading in the GT3 on another F430 and was pleasantly surprised by the trade-in number that they cooked up. My MSRP is 123 and the trade-in number before any negotiation was 112 with 3400 miles...
How much do you have to pay for that 430? Without knowing that, I am not sure what you are saying can be taken as you are presenting.

Honestly; asking price is quite different from actual selling price...
Old 06-24-2008, 01:40 AM
flash1034
Pro

Everbody Ive talked to doesnt want PCCBs due to high cost to service and minimal, if any, real benefit on the track or street. In fact, most of the guys I drive with in the POC have taken their PCCBs off for track duty. What are you basing your statement on? Just the high buy in cost of PCCBs?

Flash
Old 06-24-2008, 02:19 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

webster- I'm assuming you're not hitting tire walls and only occasionally spinning into the grass/kitty litter at which point the front lip spoiler, brake ducts, etc are all very replaceable.

if you go ***-first into a wall in either car, you wallet will get sore really quick in both.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by flash1034
Everbody Ive talked to doesnt want PCCBs due to high cost to service and minimal, if any, real benefit on the track or street. In fact, most of the guys I drive with in the POC have taken their PCCBs off for track duty. What are you basing your statement on? Just the high buy in cost of PCCBs?

Flash
The attitude is that pccbs still command a premium. My theory is that if the rational people that you've talked to about brake options were the only ones interested in the car then pccbs would not command a premium and gt3s would be worth 5-10k less than they are now. I would guess that there are still a few buyers who... how do you say... aren't the type to go onto rennlist. These buyers and the balloon they add to value will probably be moving on as soon as the mkII is officially announced. I think it's these buyers who would pay more for pccb. Just a theory. Of course that's not to say that rennlisters don't like pccb, just that I think it's more nonrennlisters that push the value of that up... or as a group rennlisters have a larger portion who don't really care for pccb.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:18 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

pccb is worth the option price but definitely not a 20k premium- that's crazy.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:20 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
pccb is worth the option price but definitely not a 20k premium- that's crazy.
Agreed, especially considering how much the parts alone cost.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:59 AM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by flash1034

Flash
I was simply referring to my perception that PCCBs hold their original value very well on resale. The ridiculous premium that they seem to be commanding (occasionally) looks like it is mostly confined to the RS market.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:42 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Default gt3 outdrives, outgrins the 430

dont sell the gt3 for the 430. i had a 430, and a stradale. the gt3 outdrives them, in my opinion, no questions asked.
dont get me wrong, 430 is a beast , gorgeous, fancy, all the carbon and italian styling..... and the stradale is incredible, raw and nasty, many things that the gt3 is not.

but when it comes to just flat out driving, whomping thru turns, feel of the car on the road, and mainly the linearity, "smoothness"of the power, engine, acceleration, view out the windows, ability to see stuff comignup on you quick with you moving real quick. ...gt3 and the gt3RS i think is the best on the road.

i really loved looking at my 430, but it was far less approachable than the gt3. i worry about driving any nice car, but the gt3 is not the attention grabber, headache waiting to happen that the FCars can sometimes be. and there are tons of pcar dealers that can work on your gt3. sometimes accessing fcar service can be problematic depending on your location, though FOCNJ was always terrific.

putting all that aside, the gt3 drives lights out. could be one of the best driving cars i've ever had.

Quick Reply: GT3 values seem to be holding pretty strong