Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Oil Leak??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:12 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Leak??

I have the odd oil drop on my garage florr where I park my RS. Since October I've parked the car in the same garage and I see a total of 6 drops about the size of a quarter. 5 of them are dry (old drops), one of them is fresh.
But the location of the drops could only be from the RMS IF the car's *** end was sticking out of the garage which would make it impossilbe for me to close the garage.

The drops seem to be further back probably 4-6 inches behind the rear mufflers.

Any suggestions on where else a leak could occur on an RS or GT3? I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

R
Old 06-20-2008, 10:16 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

best way is just to look under the car for traces of oil...
Old 06-20-2008, 07:49 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A little out of focus but this was my first clue... in front of the engine not behind the mufflers. (07 GT3 at 700 miles)
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2008, 09:05 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

The first thing I would suspect is a Rear Main Seal (RMS) if this is the problem you will see some oil on the bottom of the engine where the engine and transmission come together ( there is a triangular metal bracket attached to the bottom of the case in this area and look for oil on it. You can also either elevate the car or use a mirror and look for oil in the weep holes at the bottom of the bell housing) and it is not un-common on the GT3 and RS. I'm on my third seal and this one seems to be holding. There was a new procedure for installation issued about two months ago by Porsche.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:42 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

All of my drops on the garage floor are roughly 6 inches behind the rear muffler which is at least 12-16 inches away from the RMS.
My oil spots are definiely not as liquidity, even the fresh one is quite dry. It almost seems as if it is leaking at another place OTHER THAN the RMS. Wondering if that's the reason why people are on their 2nd, and 3rd RMS, ie we are assuming that all the leaks are RMS - and they may not be.

With your RMS did you find that there was oil on the far end of the bottom of the engine block?..ie the closest part of the block to the rear centre muffler?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:49 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't sound like RMS to me but let us know what you find once you get it on a lift.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:47 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
All of my drops on the garage floor are roughly 6 inches behind the rear muffler which is at least 12-16 inches away from the RMS.
My oil spots are definiely not as liquidity, even the fresh one is quite dry. It almost seems as if it is leaking at another place OTHER THAN the RMS. Wondering if that's the reason why people are on their 2nd, and 3rd RMS, ie we are assuming that all the leaks are RMS - and they may not be.

With your RMS did you find that there was oil on the far end of the bottom of the engine block?..ie the closest part of the block to the rear center muffler?
RMS is on the opposite side of the motor center just about under the sway bar it drips of that little square metal clip between the motor and transmission. yours sounds like its coming from the front belt pulley area.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Yes, after taking it to the dealer it is in fact the front seal or pulley seal that has the slight leak on mine.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 279 Posts

CRAP!!! Based on Todinlaw and F4 - I would say I am the newest inductee to the leaky RMS contingent - and it's not just a little oil either!!

is there danger in continuing to drive with it leaking?

Can't help being pissed off about this - what's the upside here ? LWFW?

Chris
Old 06-22-2008, 04:59 PM
SGonzo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The upside is the LWFW, contact Alex @ Sharkwerks and he will set you up.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:03 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
CRAP!!! Based on Todinlaw and F4 - I would say I am the newest inductee to the leaky RMS contingent - and it's not just a little oil either!!

is there danger in continuing to drive with it leaking?

Can't help being pissed off about this - what's the upside here ? LWFW?

Chris
Mine started leaking (the second time) around March and I have tracked it 4 times since then and drive about 2x per week to work, it is not getting any worse in fact i think its getting better, I can see a drop of oil that forms on the little metal plate on the bottom of the motor but not much more than a drop or two on the floor. So I am in no hurry, If I decide to do the lwfw i might do it then otherwise I will see if the engineers can come up with a fix that works.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:37 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

My dealer said it's ok to drive and there is no rush to fixing it at all.
Mine itself hardly leaks, SInce October, I've only 5 drops on my garage floor. The dealer did mention that some cars they've seen with leaks eventually stop leaking.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak??