Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sales May 08 GT3 & RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:34 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one cares that the sales volumes are off accross the board? (except for the silly boxster rs60)
Old 06-04-2008, 09:45 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I really want a GT3 RS... The only one I've found so far (in NYC) is marked up WAAAY over sticker. Bummer...
What do you mean by the only one you've found so far? Are you only looking for a white one?

(And yes, MMC are smoking crack asking $220k for that RS and $155k for the white GT3 they have)
Old 06-08-2008, 01:14 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

Does anybody have any global numbers? It would be nice to know how many 997 GT3s and RSs were made in total.

Where can we find this info?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
What do you mean by the only one you've found so far? Are you only looking for a white one?

(And yes, MMC are smoking crack asking $220k for that RS and $155k for the white GT3 they have)
I was looking online - I've only found a couple. There is a silver/orange one at my local dealer. My preferences are white, green, or orange, but I can't deal with paying over sticker. Kind of limits my options...
Old 06-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I was looking online - I've only found a couple. There is a silver/orange one at my local dealer. My preferences are white, green, or orange, but I can't deal with paying over sticker. Kind of limits my options...
All you need to do is wait. Some of the low mileage cars might stay above sticker until the MK II hits the streets, however some of the higher mileage examples should be below sticker within the enxt several months.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

I'm waiting for MSRP for a while.
The prices are not dropping much, but the cars are'nt selling either..

Once the MKII's hit the street maybe the asking prices will drop a bit, potentially close to MSRP for the RS?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:59 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What MKII?

Who has confirmed this car, did I miss some announcement?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If anyone is seriously waiting for MSRP as the selling price from a "speculator" like the dealers, you'd be, in stock market parlance, "catching a falling knife." In other words, once the market for the RS begins to decline and has lost its premium (if it ever does fall to the numeric MSRP) then only the drivers and the "investors" will be holding the car and not selling at a given market price point. The "punters" (buying or selling the car because it reaches a psychological trigger) will be hoping that a given Porsche on the short term secondary market finally bucks the trend and goes up and stays up in value. Well, we've just seen that for the first time in modern Porsches with the Carrera GT. Prior to the GT, it was the 993 Turbo S, the 959 and the '73 RS. Or about every decade or so. : )
Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

I waited a year for the prices on the RS to come down!!! They didn't and I purchased a car at market value. It is the best car decision I have ever made. The car is magnificent and I probably drive it at 7/10's of its true potential.

The car is fun on the street and a blast at the track.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
This may help...
MAY '08 Sales
The Cayenne GTS (despite it's very existence being an insult to the GTS heritage) has sold quite well (and far better than I ever imagined given the relatively ho-hum final spec) but I'm disappointed to see only a handful of manual gearbox cars. That doesn't bode well for Porsche bothering with USA enthusiast drivers bleating about sunroofs or stick shifts. I guess we'll be seeing more stick-on faux carbon fiber trim and an exciting selection of exhaust tip options in future models ... : )
Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The Cayenne GTS (despite it's very existence being an insult to the GTS heritage) has sold quite well (and far better than I ever imagined given the relatively ho-hum final spec) but I'm disappointed to see only a handful of manual gearbox cars. That doesn't bode well for Porsche bothering with USA enthusiast drivers bleating about sunroofs or stick shifts. I guess we'll be seeing more stick-on faux carbon fiber trim and an exciting selection of exhaust tip options in future models ... : )
Why is it disappointing to see so few people opt for a manual gearbox in a 5000 lbs truck?
The number of people who want a sunroofless GT3s is much bigger than the number of people who want a manual Cayenne. I don't want a manual Cayenne. I am perfectly happy with it having a slushbox. It's not a sportscar.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amaist
Why is it disappointing to see so few people opt for a manual gearbox in a 5000 lbs truck?
The number of people who want a sunroofless GT3s is much bigger than the number of people who want a manual Cayenne. I don't want a manual Cayenne. I am perfectly happy with it having a slushbox. It's not a sportscar.
I guess I would have written the same thing you've written with a little different emph_a_sis on different sy_lab_les and come to different observation.

At least in Australia, the idea of an SUV for city driving is still considered as a contradiction (though increasingly common) and the idea of an off-road vehicle with an automatic transmission is uncommon. Of course Porsche positioned the GTS as an on-road performance SUV (though it still has the low-range in the transfer case) which is equally a jumble of contradictions.

I think of the GTS as "driver's" SUV, where the buyer is specifically wanting the utility of the design but would prefer a more engaging driving experience. Why else pay the premium for a GTS over an S? Seats and wheels?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Once the MKII's hit the street maybe the asking prices will drop a bit, potentially close to MSRP for the RS?
I'd say it will be a jump discontinuity. I'm sure people also realize that the RS, despite being awesome and my current dream car, isn't much faster than a 3, so even the mkII vanilla 3 will out gun a mkI 997 RS.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:46 PM
quattrothatcould
Track Day

Would you have a breakdown by color and/or major options (i.e. how many cars came with PCCB's, etc)? I need to start looking for my GT3 now, you know, like 6 years before I can afford it
Old 06-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If anyone is seriously waiting for MSRP as the selling price from a "speculator" like the dealers, you'd be, in stock market parlance, "catching a falling knife." In other words, once the market for the RS begins to decline and has lost its premium (if it ever does fall to the numeric MSRP) then only the drivers and the "investors" will be holding the car and not selling at a given market price point. The "punters" (buying or selling the car because it reaches a psychological trigger) will be hoping that a given Porsche on the short term secondary market finally bucks the trend and goes up and stays up in value. Well, we've just seen that for the first time in modern Porsches with the Carrera GT. Prior to the GT, it was the 993 Turbo S, the 959 and the '73 RS. Or about every decade or so. : )
I think you're spot on. However, catching a falling knife isn't such a bad prospect when the knife is an RS. It seems there are more than a couple people who just want to buy one and enjoy it when prices become reasonable. So using the 996 gt3 market as an example... That car was on it's way down when market prices hit 85k, however I'm sure many of the buyers at 85 didn't regret not waiting a year and paying 70-75k. In other words you can think of it as an investment to buy into and get out of or simply see that nearly all cars eventually dip under their msrp and continue downward and make your own decision as when you've waited long enough vs. the money you've saved. Obviously if you want to hop cars every couple years you must pay very close attention to the market as an investment, but if you're going to keep the car for a while then just buying it for cheap is what matters, ie after it's lost it's premium.

Quick Reply: Sales May 08 GT3 & RS