Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rotor Update – drilled slotted or both

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:30 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rotor Update – drilled slotted or both

As you can tell I am in the market for rotors and pads. I did a thread about Pagid’s and have decided to go with 29’s on all for corners.

After only 850 track miles I am getting the cracks on the OEM rotors so I spent the weekend looking at all the posts relating to rotor replacement. Some of the posts were a year or more old so I am looking for and update and any new solutions

From the past I found the following options
1) OEM rotor
2) OEM Cup rotors
3) AP racing rotors- Slotted
4) Protosport slotted

I want to go to a slotted rotor and the protosport is at the top of the list. Anyone have any other options that have worked out well

As to slotted rotors what do you think of this tech note from Tire Rack that appears to poo poo them??
” Slotted, drilled or dimpled rotors offered as OEM replacements should not be considered appropriate for high-speed track use.”

Lastly, has anyone tried the replacements that are a combination of cross drilled and slotted, I am not sure that would be helpful

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...oogle.shopping
Old 05-27-2008, 02:15 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Rotors

I've tried all the combinations that you have listed. I have 15K miles on my car now and I can give you my thoughts.

First, the rear rotors will last 20+ events no problem with RS29/19.

Second, the stock rotors will crack in 1-2 days. They'll stay good for 9-11 track days if lucky. I tried the protosport (Cayene S) rotors and they worked very well. However, I didn't see more than 10-12 days before cracks and warping. They are also very very heavy.

Third, AP Racing rotors (2-piece). This is the combo I'm finally using. The rotor/hat combo weighs 5 lbs less than the stock rotors. The floating rotor design works extremely well on the track. As for rotor life - I still expect just 11-13 days. However, now I only have the change the rotor, not the hat. This in the long term will be much less expensive than the stock or protosport rotor. And yes, they are slotted.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:58 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

Got a link for the AP Racing rotors?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 03:04 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine through my local P-car dealer, Napleton Porsche in Chicago. 630-725-0911. Ask for Joe Buonsante.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:17 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Rotors

Ordered mine from Bodymotion in New Jersey.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:10 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

Good timing on your topic for me. I was going to do the full search on this tonight.
I have Protosport slotted which have warped. Looking for the next option.
Thanks!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:19 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fjpdds
Good timing on your topic for me. I was going to do the full search on this tonight.
I have Protosport slotted which have warped. Looking for the next option.
Thanks!
How many track days did you get out of them? what kind of pads did you run on them? I am getting a quote on the AP rotors tomorrow from CDOC. I would like to hear from more people about the experience and cost of the AP rotors.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Note that some floating rotors (those without Maclaren springs) make a LOT of noise. Also expect to change hats and rotors, the holes in the aluminum hats become oval over time. Nothing is perfect and the guys who sell this stuff don't warn us of the downsides.

I did a full season on my OEM rotors and RS 19's about 35-40 days. Rotors develop cracks but do not need to be replaced unless cracks join two or more holes and or go to the edge of the rotor.

Regards,
Old 05-27-2008, 09:36 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

I used them 4 track days & street driving. I bought the car from another Rennlister in Feb. with them on. Including the Pagid pads. He installed them last December and possibly tracked them as well?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Frank, I would call protosport. Those rotors were basically new when you got the car. Maybe one event but no real mileage on them at all....
Old 05-27-2008, 11:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

i have used protosport and oem on both 7 and 6 gt3's and brembo floaters on 6gt3.

the 2pcs floaters are noisy beyond believe and i am semi deaf. like bob said, the holes on hat gets larger and eventually you need to replace hats too.

protosports are 1.5lbs heavier than oem (using my bathroom scale), but lasted me 1980 miles up front. (stock front was good for 1000 miles, with lots of laguna seca, very heavy braking track).

rear oem rotors are good for 16-1800 miles.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:20 PM
TripleM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other aft mkt rotor for the car is Alcon, very expensive
Distributed by JZMachteh of UK

Any pic of how the AP rotor looks like?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:41 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good timing for me as well...i thought the protosprt slotted lasted a lot longer than the OEM drilled
Old 05-28-2008, 11:01 AM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i have used protosport and oem on both 7 and 6 gt3's and brembo floaters on 6gt3.

the 2pcs floaters are noisy beyond believe and i am semi deaf. like bob said, the holes on hat gets larger and eventually you need to replace hats too.

protosports are 1.5lbs heavier than oem (using my bathroom scale), but lasted me 1980 miles up front. (stock front was good for 1000 miles, with lots of laguna seca, very heavy braking track).

rear oem rotors are good for 16-1800 miles.
My fronts are going to need to be replaced soon. can I go ahead and leave OEM in the rear and go with a protosport replacement in the front?????
Old 05-28-2008, 02:12 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

I called Protosport today, and talked to their GT3 rotor man. He was helpful and reassuring. I described the condition of my rotors & their use. Blue color and rubbing when hand spun.
He says the following: that is okay and is what happens with DE use. They will talk to you when really warped, vibration and shudder under braking. I am fine for now, but to replace them right away if that begins to occur. He would expect 5-6 DE's out of a set of Protosport, and only 1-2 out of OEM. He recommends I just replace the pagid pads for now.
I'll give that a try and see how it goes at Road Atlanta next week.

Quick Reply: Rotor Update – drilled slotted or both