Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS may be back 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:15 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts
Default RMS may be back 997 GT3

I had my Rear main Seal (RMS) replaced about three weeks ago at 2600 miles. It first started to leak at 300 miles but the dealer said watch it and complete the break-in. I did and they then repaired it using the latest factory procedure and parts. I watched much of the work and was satisfied. WELL it is now 200 miles later and its hot in Texas. After driving the GT3 yesterday (and not hard) I looked under the engine and yes there was a light coat of oil in the same area as before. Enough to soil a paper towel and yes it is engine oil. It is not leaking in such a way as to produce drips but just enough to produce a light coating right below the seal area. Called the dealer last evening and I will take it in tomorrow. If he feels it is the seal again he will contact the district Rep before anything else is done.

Now, I throughly enjoy the vehicle and plan on keeping it (or at least that is the plan) Would a new engine (should Porsche decide that way) besides meaning I must go through the break-in again, diminish the value of the car at all... since the numbers would not match? I need to at least think of that. Not sure that logic applies to a limited production vehicle like the GT3. Comments welcome.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 AM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don´t think they will be happy with the idea of engine replacement. I would go for it if they wouldn´t get it fixed for the second time, but you know how these things go.

As for value, the only way your GT3 would not lose much value is if you didn´t drive it at all and then sold it around the year 2030. Would you like to wait that long?

With transparent documentation, I don´t think anybody in their right mind would have a problem with an engine replacement due to these circumstances come selling time. I would take pictures this time around to show the future owner what was going on.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Actually I would like to wait that long but since I will be 66 in a matter of weeks The year 2030 may not be a player. We shall see what the dealer has to say tomorrow. Thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 10:14 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Thought of another question to which I probably already know the answer. Do those of you that have a slight leak not drip in the rear main seal area just accept it or have it fixed? I not real happy about my engine being dropped again. Having flown for over 40 years and thus watching aircraft being constantly taken apart for inspections, the disassembly and re-assembly does cause wear. The tech at the local Porsche dealership was very careful when he removed the engine and transmission and with all the work he did but still there is the chance of damage each time major maintenance is done. Thoughts
Old 05-27-2008, 11:19 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,056 Likes on 578 Posts

you're right about there being some chance of damage and the work causing wear...but that's mostly to the small parts like bolts and stuff- as long as they replace those, the major pieces should be okay. about the RMS- it seems like a hassle more than anything. As much as I travel, I really want my car to be there when I get home so I can drive it right away.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:28 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Thought of another question to which I probably already know the answer. Do those of you that have a slight leak not drip in the rear main seal area just accept it or have it fixed? I not real happy about my engine being dropped again. Having flown for over 40 years and thus watching aircraft being constantly taken apart for inspections, the disassembly and re-assembly does cause wear. The tech at the local Porsche dealership was very careful when he removed the engine and transmission and with all the work he did but still there is the chance of damage each time major maintenance is done. Thoughts
I am in the same boat, had it fixed in December, and by March it stated again. The dealer told me about the new fix and I decided to wait, and now I will wait a bit longer. I wanted to see if the "new fix" was in fact a fix. I guess not. Bluntly, a small drip or two is not a big deal. I am in the books as needing an RMS fix on the house and I am going to wait it out. You may find that it will stop. I am tracking my car allot and if I get a drip about the size of a pencil eraser that is allot.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Frank:

I have not tracked my GT3 as I have the '83 SC set up for autocross. I have not had the GT3 over 6000 RPM and really only to that number once. Yes a little drip is not a big thing but when you spend that much you do want it as perfect as possible. Leaks on the street and garage not good. Leaks on the track not acceptable I will keep you and others current on what they find this time. As i said mine was done the first time only three weeks ago and the new procedure including the spacer/ slinger was used ..... doesn't appear to be the answer. I also had them check the seal flange )on the case of the engine) to make sure it was true and had no rough spots that could cause oil bypass. More later Jack
Old 05-27-2008, 02:57 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Frank:

I have not tracked my GT3 as I have the '83 SC set up for autocross. I have not had the GT3 over 6000 RPM and really only to that number once. Yes a little drip is not a big thing but when you spend that much you do want it as perfect as possible. Leaks on the street and garage not good. Leaks on the track not acceptable I will keep you and others current on what they find this time. As i said mine was done the first time only three weeks ago and the new procedure including the spacer/ slinger was used ..... doesn't appear to be the answer. I also had them check the seal flange )on the case of the engine) to make sure it was true and had no rough spots that could cause oil bypass. More later Jack
Jack, I do not disagree with you one bit, for what we have invested, this is not an issue that we should have to deal with, but what else can be said. I have just decided to let it ride, I have no intention of selling now or in the foreseeable future, however if I was considering selling I sure would not like having to take it on the hoof because of something that is not my doing. I guess the lesson is that if you are a short term holder you better sell before the 4 yrs or 50,000 miles is up or you could be the bag holder on this issue.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:37 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

An update: Last night I carefully wiped down the underside of the engine and even used a mirror and flashlight to make sure it was dry and clean. this morning, as requested I drove it to the local Porsche dealer ( I put about 75 miles on it as I had to do an errand on the way) The majority of the trip was interstate driving on cruise. When I got to the dealer we put it on a rack right away and there was no question oil dripping from the weep holes in the case below the RMS and a light film on the part of the case. Now the wait as the dealer talks to Porsche. The last seal was put in about 300 miles ago and as I said earlier I do not track or autocross the car. More later as it unfolds.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

An update: Last night I carefully wiped down the underside of the engine and even used a mirror and flashlight to make sure it was dry and clean. this morning, as requested I drove it to the local Porsche dealer ( I put about 75 miles on it as I had to do an errand on the way) The majority of the trip was interstate driving on cruise. When I got to the dealer we put it on a rack right away and there was no question oil dripping from the weep holes in the case below the RMS and a light film on the part of the case. Now the wait as the dealer talks to Porsche. The last seal was put in about 300 miles ago and as I said earlier I do not track or autocross the car. More later as it unfolds.
Keep us posted, but just as an FYI, I don't think tracking or autocrossing the car has anything to to do with RMS because my car started way before its first track event. You don't track at all. The car is designed for the track. The RMS is a design flaw, plain and simple, the motor is made to turn RPMs, Lots of them.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:07 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

I have not had the GT3 over 6000 RPM and really only to that number once.
911 engines have traditionally run better and leaked less the harder they are run. Take your car to redline - live a little - there's no reason not to.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:43 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

I would agree with the comment that 911 engines want to be run. I have a 1983 Euro spec 911 SC that I autocorss as did the two previous owners. It has also seen the track. The engine has over 130,000 miles on it, has no oil leaks and the last valve leak test was very close to perfect.

I also agree that the oil seal issue in the GT3 is a design problem as this engine more than even the new Carrara is made to rev. and run hard. It is also a very limited production engine and reading the number of posts concerning RMS over the last year or so it appears a significant percent of the engines have had or do have this problem. That said I still throughly enjoy the car and plan to keep it until such time I can't drive any longer and then my son will get it. It's the early 70's Carrara RS I could not afford as a Captain with a wife and two kids.

I would also be remiss if I did not say aloud how pleased I am with my dealer The Porsche Center of San Antonio. They have been very pro-active to get this fixed right and the tech that did the seal earlier this month was careful with the car, through in his work and professional in every respect. That said you can't expect him to correct a basic design flaw. Should hear today what the plan is as the dealer now has Porsche involved. Jack

P.S. for what it is worth these cars are my stress outlet as I was told last Summer that I have Macular degeneration in both eyes and had to quit flying. Thank goodness I have always been a car and specifically a Porsche nut. A great replacement for my acrobatic airplane. Since being told of the eye issue (which by the way normally does not hit people in their 60's and there is no cure) I have become even more aware of priorities and more and more is defined as "small stuff" which as we all learn not to sweat.

I wonder down the road as the eyes get worse if I can still autocross if I put a white cane decal on the side of the car Hi ! Humor keeps us all young sorry for the ramble
Old 05-29-2008, 10:51 AM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I would agree with the comment that 911 engines want to be run. I have a 1983 Euro spec 911 SC that I autocorss as did the two previous owners. It has also seen the track. The engine has over 130,000 miles on it, has no oil leaks and the last valve leak test was very close to perfect.

I also agree that the oil seal issue in the GT3 is a design problem as this engine more than even the new Carrara is made to rev. and run hard. It is also a very limited production engine and reading the number of posts concerning RMS over the last year or so it appears a significant percent of the engines have had or do have this problem. That said I still throughly enjoy the car and plan to keep it until such time I can't drive any longer and then my son will get it. It's the early 70's Carrara RS I could not afford as a Captain with a wife and two kids.

I would also be remiss if I did not say aloud how pleased I am with my dealer The Porsche Center of San Antonio. They have been very pro-active to get this fixed right and the tech that did the seal earlier this month was careful with the car, through in his work and professional in every respect. That said you can't expect him to correct a basic design flaw. Should hear today what the plan is as the dealer now has Porsche involved. Jack

P.S. for what it is worth these cars are my stress outlet as I was told last Summer that I have Macular degeneration in both eyes and had to quit flying. Thank goodness I have always been a car and specifically a Porsche nut. A great replacement for my acrobatic airplane. Since being told of the eye issue (which by the way normally does not hit people in their 60's and there is no cure) I have become even more aware of priorities and more and more is defined as "small stuff" which as we all learn not to sweat.

I wonder down the road as the eyes get worse if I can still autocross if I put a white cane decal on the side of the car Hi ! Humor keeps us all young sorry for the ramble
Sorry to hear about your eye issue, Enjoy it. Now you are still flying, just 4 inches off the ground.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:03 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the new fix done over a month ago and it hasn't leaked a drop since. P had to order and use a special tool that matches the seal so it could be put in properly. It appears, at least in my case, installation of the new seal is the key and without the tool, the seal just doesn't match up correctly.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 05-29-2008, 11:12 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

My dealer also ordered the special tool and used the new seal complete with the washer i.e. oil slinger but still the leak returned in less than 300 miles and mostly highway driving. You were just lucky and I'm happy for you. Waiting for a call from the dealer as we speak to see "what the plan is"

and thanks for the comments about the eyes, yes I'm still flying just in some very nice cars. Needless to say it was a shock when they told me. The right eye has stabilized rather well. It is the left eye that is a problem and I am left eyed and shoot pistol matches left handed. They have changed the prescription in the left eye three times in the last nine months and even with that somewtimes it just doesn't focus at all up close for several minutes randomly. Oh well I am still vertical, have a heartbeat and can fog a mirror and hug my wife.... life really is not bad at all. Take care Jack

Quick Reply: RMS may be back 997 GT3