Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS may be back 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

It is interesting that in almost 6 plus hours no-one has responded. Does that mean that the majority of GT3 and GT3 RS owners do not monitor their engine instruments and or don't care. The way the owners manual is now written and the physical limits of the oil pressure gauge on the GT3 mean that the actual oil pressure is well above what the gauge can display and we as operators have no clue if the actual oil pressure is correct or whatever amount over the upper limit. I would think the lawyers that Porsche retains could use this as reason to void warranty. No I am not trying to promote a suit or any action against Porsche, I am very happy with the car, I only want to know what the real oil pressures are and be able to monitor them. After all this is a rather expensive vehicle and Porsche did put an oil pressure gauge on it however useless it is.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:49 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f4 plt
It is interesting that in almost 6 plus hours no-one has responded. Does that mean that the majority of GT3 and GT3 RS owners do not monitor their engine instruments and or don't care.
The investigative work you've posted is fascinating and makes for interesting reading. However, I sold my 993 Turbo and bought a new Porsche under warranty because I want to drive the car and not worry about it.

If something breaks, I'll take it in and they'll repair it. If they can't repair it, I'll keep bringing it in or find another dealership to fix it. We've paid for this warranty in our purchase price so I intend on using it when things go wrong.

I'll admit that it is fun to do some investigative work beforehand so that I'm informed before being told what's wrong, but at some point, you gotta trust someone and let them play their role in the Porsche world.

I hope they fix your RMS once and for all, it must be very frustrating to have this issue unresolved.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 290 Posts

Now that I think about it, my oil pressure gauge is pegged a lot of the time also. I'll monitor it more closely when I get it back today. I wonder if the high pressure is related to the white puff of smoke I often get when starting it up the day after autox.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:16 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Mind is pegged all the time too, unless at idle.

Both my leaks have stopped. I think what sjgreco is correct.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

MY SERVICE MANAGER ROCKS!!!!!

I just got the bad news that my RS will not be ready for pickup today, as some of the parts have not come in from Germany My service manager knows that I compete at autox just about every weekend during the season.(took 1st with the P club in improved last Sat) Knowing this he offered to swap out the automatic Cayman loaner and replace it with 5 speed stick so I could still compete. Good offer but I'll just co drive my C2S with the wifey. I'll be running with the Miata club so my season standings with NER/NCR will not be affected.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:49 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Now that I think about it, my oil pressure gauge is pegged a lot of the time also. I'll monitor it more closely when I get it back today. I wonder if the high pressure is related to the white puff of smoke I often get when starting it up the day after autox.
the puff of white/bluish smoke occasionally on start up is from oil seeping pass the piston oil scraper ring gap when oil settles in the sump - perfectly normal. Its actually luck of draw as to how your ring gap is pointed/located in relations to the bottom of the crankcase/sump... if its pointing northwards you would not get smoke on start up... but all six piston oil scraper rings would have to be that way... odds are not with us with factory builds. I may be wrong but...
Old 07-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Another data point. My RS now leaks with 13,000 miles. The dealer says it is a FRONT Seal - different terminology here I wonder. He also says there is an improved seal and a special tool. Apparently said tool is used to install the seal and must be left in place for some time to allow the seal to seat properly. If they installed and removed the tool immediately the replacement seal leaked more. Anyone else hear of this?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:33 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Another data point. My RS now leaks with 13,000 miles. The dealer says it is a FRONT Seal - different terminology here I wonder. He also says there is an improved seal and a special tool. Apparently said tool is used to install the seal and must be left in place for some time to allow the seal to seat properly. If they installed and removed the tool immediately the replacement seal leaked more. Anyone else hear of this?
wow never heard of this. how can this be? A rms or any seal is a seal, no? how can sealing a flat 6 be so hard to do? the crank end/tail looks the same as any other engine V8, inline 6 or 4 cylinder out there - as least to me.

my leaks a little every drive and the car only has 1600 miles on it... it sucks but have to put up with it... an ultimate bucket of bolts that leaks.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

I picked my car up Thursday 7/3 at 7:00 PM. Head mechanic stayed late just to get it done. He said that he most likely ruined the first seal with the installation tool so he spent over an hour polishing the tool. Too soon to tell but I have my fingers crossed.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
no, but the latest RMS has not only the seal but also a spacer right behind the seal. TBS specifically states to replace that spacer whenever you do RMS.

yes, my just leaked at 17000 miles.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
I picked my car up Thursday 7/3 at 7:00 PM. Head mechanic stayed late just to get it done. He said that he most likely ruined the first seal with the installation tool so he spent over an hour polishing the tool. Too soon to tell but I have my fingers crossed.
I envy you, I have only put 100 miles on my GT3 since the third and latest RMS was installed, as the car has now sat at the dealer for over two weeks awaiting a resolution of the oil pressure issue from Porsche NA. I have asked Porsche for a simple statement in writing saying that operation of the vehicle with the oil pressure gauge pegged is normal and will in no way compromise and or void my new car warranty. So far they have been silent on the request . I have been advised not to drive the car until such is forthcoming.

I cannot understand why on a car of this value or any car for that matter, Porsche a company priding itself, and rightly so, on Excellence would install an oil pressure gauge that pegs at the top of the scale well below the normal operating oil pressure of the engine. The operator has no way of knowing is oil pressure is normal or dangerously high. Wish me luck as I want my car back, I waited a long time for it and this plus the RMS issues have caused it to reside at the dealer for well over a month and it is not yet a year old.

I will say that I remain impressed with my dealer, to safeguard my car they have locked it and placed it on the showroom floor under constant watch. That is but one reason I continue to purchase from them.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

My oil pressure pegs at just over 3000 rpm.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Bob,

Mine has the front seal leak as well as the RMS. I asked a Porsche mechanic/technician that runs his own shop about the problem of repeat RMS's. He says he has replaced many but never twice on the same car. Basically he has said that it is more shop mechanic error that the RMS's leaks repeat.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:05 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
Bob,

Mine has the front seal leak as well as the RMS. I asked a Porsche mechanic/technician that runs his own shop about the problem of repeat RMS's. He says he has replaced many but never twice on the same car. Basically he has said that it is more shop mechanic error that the RMS's leaks repeat.
everybody has an opinion and it is hard to figure out what the facts are. I have had my RMS fixed at 2400 miles and it was leaking again at 2700 miles. Back in April when it reappeared, my dealer ordered the parts and I have told him to just sit on it. the leak is more of a psychological problem than a mechanical one and the leak is just a drop of oil monthly, So until I get to the end of warrantee or if I am going to sell, i am not going to even worry about it.

As far as oil pressure goes, to some extent its all a good thing that things are being lubricated. I don't believe that Oil pressure explains the RMS leak but it is true that High oil pressure engines will leak more but if they are going to leak they will leak High or low pressure engines that is.

Quick Reply: RMS may be back 997 GT3