Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS may be back 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
jbryan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 GT3, built in December of '07. To date 2600 miles, two AX's, several trips to the red line and no leaks. Car gets better every time I drive it. Knocken on wood....
Old 06-03-2008, 11:45 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Congratulations you got one of the last GT3's and hopefully one that was corrected during the build process. I'm still waiting for a call from the dealer with the answer from Porsche NA on what to do. I told them I want this to be the correction as I did not buy the car to make trips to the dealer every several hundred miles especially since I live 60 miles from the dealer and each time I lose the car for over a week. Trying to hold my cool but hard for an old fighter pilot. Biggest issue I have is I do like the car and my thought of trading down to a Carrera S is not what I want at this stage. Oh well keep calm.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:08 PM
jbryan
Advanced

f4...Ex helicopter gunship pilot here. On my 9th 911. Sometime you don't know whether to straf 'em or thank 'em.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:23 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Well if it was not my car I could probably laugh at how this saga is going. My dealer reported to Porsche that the oil leak was in the same area ie around the Rear Main seal (this is the second seal and it lasted only 300 miles) As I mentioned in an earlier post they had also put dye in the oil and run the engine before disassembly. There was evidence that the oil might be coming from a case issue. Well I guess that was not enough for Porsche as they have now directed that yet another seal be installed, the engine re-installed in the vehicle and run at idle on the lift for at least three hours then taken out of the car again and throughly examined. Anyone that cannot clearly understand that I am not happy is not listening. As I said earlier I am becoming very disappointed with Porsche quality as to the GT3 engine and their attitude towards customers that have bought these elite vehicles. Not the Porsche I first new when I bought my first one forty years ago. did I mention that my '83 Euro SC with over 130000 miles on it and many track and autocross days is still without an oil leak and the engine has never be opened. Seems we have come a long way but in the wrong direction. Hopefully the individual that makes the decision at Porsche chjanges his or her mind and becomes more customer focused soon. I would appreciate that. More to follow I'm sure.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Well if it was not my car I could probably laugh at how this saga is going. My dealer reported to Porsche that the oil leak was in the same area ie around the Rear Main seal (this is the second seal and it lasted only 300 miles) As I mentioned in an earlier post they had also put dye in the oil and run the engine before disassembly. There was evidence that the oil might be coming from a case issue. Well I guess that was not enough for Porsche as they have now directed that yet another seal be installed, the engine re-installed in the vehicle and run at idle on the lift for at least three hours then taken out of the car again and throughly examined. Anyone that cannot clearly understand that I am not happy is not listening. As I said earlier I am becoming very disappointed with Porsche quality as to the GT3 engine and their attitude towards customers that have bought these elite vehicles. Not the Porsche I first new when I bought my first one forty years ago. did I mention that my '83 Euro SC with over 130000 miles on it and many track and autocross days is still without an oil leak and the engine has never be opened. Seems we have come a long way but in the wrong direction. Hopefully the individual that makes the decision at Porsche chjanges his or her mind and becomes more customer focused soon. I would appreciate that. More to follow I'm sure.
I went through the same scenario with Porsche. Before going in for the 3rd RMS I reminded the GM about the Lemon Law and if it leaks for the 4th time I want a new engine or car. The answer was a BIG NO. They did the same test on my car ... 3 hours idling on the lift then examined again etc. Didn't fix the problem. I hope yours works out better.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:43 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of this is disturbing. I have the leak but have been holding off on the fix. I truly hope they get this right, but I will also chime in on the new engine remedy issue. At some point, maybe after the third attempt, it comes to the point that if the MFG cannot fix the problem that you can rescind the contract (get your money back) can be enforced. It could get ugly but consumer laws are passed to protect the consumer when the manufacture cannot deliver the product as promised.
I think you can force a replacement of the motor at some point and if the new motor does not fix the problem that you could force to rescind.
I would hope that it does not get to that, as at the end of the day I want my GT3.
I think however that we might be smart to start a registry of GT3 owners who have had a leak or leaks, the date or dates fixed, and create a record. Because we are such a small group it will be easy to show the number of problems as it relates to the size of the production run.
By working together we can insure that we do not get stuck with a design problem but let it lay with the MFG who caused the problem. That is my 2cents.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:37 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

At this point I would agree with your suggestion to gather data on just how many have had the problem and how many times. We are a small community and I would guess the actual number of cars that have thad the problem comprise a rather significant percent of the total production. As I stated in an earlier post, I get the impression Porsche does not truly want to address the issue and that is wrong. So here is my data

2007 GT3 produced July 2007 in service late August. Break-in by the book First appearance of leak at about 300 miles. Reported it to my dealer and it was decided to watch the leak and fix it after the break-in was completed (2000 miles) At 2500 miles car was in the shop for 9 days for a seal replacement. Leak re-appeared within 300 miles and car is back in the shop. Car has never been tracked or autocrossed. Majority of miles are highway.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:57 AM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
At this point I would agree with your suggestion to gather data on just how many have had the problem and how many times. We are a small community and I would guess the actual number of cars that have thad the problem comprise a rather significant percent of the total production. As I stated in an earlier post, I get the impression Porsche does not truly want to address the issue and that is wrong. So here is my data

2007 GT3 produced July 2007 in service late August. Break-in by the book First appearance of leak at about 300 miles. Reported it to my dealer and it was decided to watch the leak and fix it after the break-in was completed (2000 miles) At 2500 miles car was in the shop for 9 days for a seal replacement. Leak re-appeared within 300 miles and car is back in the shop. Car has never been tracked or autocrossed. Majority of miles are highway.
I totally agree. Check out https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/412692-add-me-to-the-oil-leak-list-with-poll.html
Old 06-04-2008, 01:10 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Is anyone an electronic wiz that can set up an address or depository that we can direct people to to document the facts regarding RMS leaks, It would be that we do this is a way that we can keep our personal information on the list but off the internet in general. any thoughts.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:09 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

The engine is back in my car and this afternoon they were to do the first stage of the torture run to see if this latest attempt will leak. this was directed by Porsche NA. I also did some random checking of several Porsche dealers service departments around the country by phone and found that the RMs problem has been seen by all of them. That said, a question:

I have read very little about GT3RS models having this issue (granted it is a smaller population) but the only difference, engine wise is the lightweight flywheel instead of the dual mass one on the GT3. Shooting darts here looking for answers. How many GT3RS owners have had the RMS issue and how many GT3 owners that have switched to the lightweight flywheel have later had an RMS issue. There is most likely no relationship but the thought came to me so I voiced it. It is the old accident investigator in me. I'm convinced the problem is solvable but because we are such a small portion of Porsche's total production the corportate focus may not be there. I would also like to know if any of the cup or RSR cars which use the same block and crank, I think, have had the issue. There are far smarter people on this board than me so chime in with your thoughts and or corrections to my logic.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:35 AM
SGonzo
Advanced

I have my 2007 GT3 at the dealer getting the RMS fixed, I took it in for the 1 yr service and it was discovered to have the RMS leak. I decided to have the LWFW installed since it would only cost me parts. Hopefully the RMS stays fixed and I end up with the LWFW installed for no cost. If it continues to leak I will sell the car for the next generation GT3RS in a year or so.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:58 AM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

My 07 RS started leaking at 500 miles. My 04 GT3 is on its 7th seal, 6th since installing LWFW. Doesn't help f4's theory.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:11 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by street
My 07 RS started leaking at 500 miles. My 04 GT3 is on its 7th seal, 6th since installing LWFW. Doesn't help f4's theory.
Did not think my theory was that valid, but thought I would throw it out. I still don't understand why Porsche does not directly address this issue. The more I look inot it the larger portion of the GT3 GT3 RS population seems to be affected.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 AM
sws1
Pro

Not according to that survey. More than half the GT3s are unaffected.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sws1
Not according to that survey. More than half the GT3s are unaffected.
Right so but if 45% of all cars leak... that is quite shocking. One should think that Porsche should be able to manufacture crank cases well enough. I think it's time for them to step up and get back to proper build quality and proper quality materials and machining techniques/specs.

Quick Reply: RMS may be back 997 GT3