Things I'd Change on the GT3 if I was Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 03:07 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

OG- fyi: bbs makes the stock wheels for porsche.

1. choice of rear axle ratios (motorsports option) so we can accelerate better if we want
2. even less sound deadening so we can hear all the pebbles and dirt
3. have a full quiet and a full loud mode for the exhaust so mooty and gang can run Laguna Seca.
4. motorsport grille screens as standard so grass /wildflowers/ rocks stay away from my radiators when I go off-track
5. sunroof delete optional so OG can listen to the engine, or so we can have a stiffer shell. our choice
6. motorsport gas tank option (bigger) so when I run away from FL state troopers I've got peace of mind that I can make it to AL
7. radio delete optional to save 20 lbs that don't really matter unless you're collecting it for rarity or racing (lol)
8. don't raise the prices of replaceable parts like chin spoilers and brake ducts!
9. ipod integration option so I can blow out the 2 or 4 tiny speakers if I want to.

Dan, I think you're looking for a 997TT. it has all of those options, and for the suspension, RUF makes a module that works for that car, designed by Ohlins. I think I speak for the group when I say that I'm glad you're not porsche, because you just added 450lbs to our beloved track mobile.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:12 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Blumenthal
1. The seats are a bit firm. Maybe add just a touch more padding.
2. The steering wheel is to firm and too thin. Make it thicker and add more padding.
3. Take a bit of spring out of the front end. Like most 911's it "hunts" a bit over bumps since it is so stiff and there is so little weight up there.
4. Devise some simple system to allow the front end to be raised so it can clear driveways and such (like the Lambo system).
5. Put some of the controls (maybe the climate control, or radio, or cruise) on the steering wheel.
6. Do something about the lousy sound system.

Dan Blumenthal
I respect your opinions Dan, but every item you list is beyond my comprehension of why you would want to do that to the GT3. Seriously, as a few have said already, the turbo is the car for you, and you sould not take that as an insult. The turbo is a bad @ss car, and it addresses most of your issues.

Here is what I want and I'm working on (unless I get someones RS soon):

Light weight 996 GT3 CLOTH seats on the way (I don't like leather and the cloth ones are actually 2 lbs lighter each). I will probably just put in the drivers side seat and get the passenger side seat up for fairly quick installs if I must take someone with me.

I will also add the 11.5 lb Braille battery within the next couple of weeks and have a good trickle charger to go with it.

I want to switch to one of the 340 mm Daytona Race GT steering wheels which are thicker (you would like that) and still have plenty of alcantara. I loved the 320 in my Elise, but that would be too small for the GT3. But the current 370 is a bit of a school bus steering wheel to me.

I have never used the radio and don't plan on it. I think I will rip out the speakers at the very least.

I am considering gutting the interior to some degree, even for street use just so I can get this fat *** car to lose some weight.

Mr. John Carey, my new hero; who basically built a cup car out of a base (no option white GT3) ordered the motorsport roof so as to get rid of the sunroof, I am highly considering this; but an RS would take care of that.

To me, even cruise control is to fancy for an option, but I am glad that the GT3 is fairly low in the useless fluff dept.

I hate any kind of technology that does nothing for the performance of the car and just complicates things (more things to break) and that adds weight.

One such example is the bi-xenon headlights. I specifically did not order them and never will. Porsche makes you get those idiotic washer nozzles with them that 98% of Porsche owners don't even know how to use. Then they need to be constantly self leveling so as not to blind on-coming traffic. That adds complexity, little motors to break, and weight. I got the base halogens and just put in the Sylvania "made in Germany" silver star white lights and they work just fine; very well actually, and they are so simple.

The PASM suspension goes against my beliefs of simple and less weight, but I admit it is not a bad feature. HOWEVER, I am perfectly happy driving on either setting, but keep it on the base setting for 95% of driving (including spirited) because it is better on rough roads when you start hitting the twisties hard. I will upgrade to some Motons, JRZ, or maybe Ohlins if those are recommendi
ed.

The 997 GT3 is plenty soft as is the RS version. Just like Mooty wrote in one of the threads, it makes for a great street car.

I want to get the weight below 2,900 lbs for sure, but would love to get closer to 2,750 if at all possible. And then switch to a regular track suspension that can be adjusted for ride height and compression and dampning. This would allow me to adjust the ride height for street use and even soften it up just a bit. But it woudl also me a simplier and lighter system.

I would love to switch the doors to carbon/kevlar and maybe eventhe roof. The fenders and trunk in CF/K would be nice,but I don't wantt lighten up the front too much.

Then later some Brembo 380 mm 2 piece brake rotors with thealum hat and aluminum calipers to cut backon more weight.

Finally, the Cup S exhaust or something similar would be nice to get rid of some of that weight in the rear.

Please don't ask from Porsche what they already have and let us enjoy our GT3's which are unbelievable cars, but could be made much lighter and hard-core while still being streetable. Please don't make it even worse and before you know it our GT3's will weigh as much as a GTR and therefore require those 580 hp to move that boat, but with way too much artifical feeling technology that just drives the car for you perfectly regardless of your skill level.

I love my GT3, god knows I do, but it is still a fat, wobally marshmellow compared to what it cld be.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:14 AM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of all the things you mention, I think the jacking-up of the front end for speed bumps is the only thing that I miss.
I previously had issues with the way the sport button works, but I gradually warmed up to it.
Come to think of it, I wouldn´t change a thing, but I would love to change the quality of the roads!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:27 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

340elise

You want a Cup car

The GT3 is a road car
Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I have an RS. Very happy with it as is and really like the steering wheel which is for...steering. (I have an M6 among other things as my normal day to day car which has all the buttons,more comfortable seats and a brilliant sound system, and is also has luggage space and many steering wheel buttons).
The differences are huge. As a long distance highway weekender with my wife, the M6 is a good choice. When I am by myself and want to thrash around on a back road or a track then the RS is the car for me. (one creature comfort I would never delete is A/C..call me a wuss).The Porsche has a refreshingy mechanical feel, and you get the impression that the crappy radio sound and the unfathomable buttons are al there just because they were forced to put them in. I have a feeling that Porsche would be quite happy to delete the lot and give you an oil pressure gauge,a tach and a speedo.
Its been along time since I had a car with no memory,manual seats, and a manually adjustable steering column. I love it.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:51 AM
LERA GT2
Rennlist Member

I think GT3 should stay the same. The RS should use dealer mark up (US$30,000 to US$50,000) to include most of the delete / light weight items most RS owners desire. Porsche has cheated RS owners with braging rights as hook!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:09 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

My list is pretty short.

1. Sunroof delete. Since the day I got the car, the sunroof's inside liner will rattle or buzz every now & then while going down the highway. Opening & closing it does make the buzzing go away for a bit. A minor annoyance, but not worth tearing the car apart to try & fix.

2. Get rid of the grey face on the tach (use black instead, like on the other GT3 guages). I don't care if it is reminecent of the CGT dash, that grey background makes the tach hard to see in certain lighting. That's bad for a track oriented car. The regular black 911 guages are much better in this respect.

That's it. With over 19,000 miles now, it's still the best, most dependable vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the thick steering wheel offered by Porsche. Remove the front, plastic lip spoiler so it won't scrape.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 things come to mind:

1. Eliminate the trunk opening switch on the key. PIA
2. Full iPod connection. CD changers are like the old 8 track players.

Very, very happy otherwise
Old 05-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

I add

Heated Seats, 400 disk CD/DVD/SAT/NAV, 3000 watt 25 speaker system with 18" subwoofer...
Old 05-06-2008, 11:55 AM
chardonet
Racer

Hey, we're all forgetting the oil dip stick!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 PM
TTRob
Instructor

The GT3 is a hi-perf road car that works well on the track, so taking that for what it's worth, the few things I would want are:

- standard LWF (or at least make it optional, 'No Cost Option' would be nice)
- slightly shorter gearing
- more supportive seats (the new GT2 seats would be great). IMO, the stock sport seats are neither here nor there.
- optional US legal (if possible) roll bar
- optional thicker Alcantara wheel
- clutch/brake pedals better suited to performance driving
- the N Spec Cups aren't much higher performing than PS2s (are they?), so either give us real Cups or just put PS2s on the car. Why tolerate the N Cup's shortcomings on the street if they're not that great.

As far as Porsche seriously de-contenting the GT3.. I'm not sure that's appropriate. Though it is a dual purpose car, it is understandably more street orientated than track. If someone wants to make the GT3 a 70% track car/30% road car, then that's up to them. The RS should bring the car closer to this spec than it currently does - and it should be reasonably available, not an ultra limited collector car.

With regards to the sunroof.. I wouldn't be surprised that if the sunroof were made optional, GT3s without it would be much more difficult to sell (especially used). I can imagine a dealer complaining that they couldn't move a used GT3 because it had no sunroof. Personally, I wouldn't have cared if the sunroof wasn't available, that certainly wouldn't have kept me from buying the GT3.

*P.S. - Good point chardonet.. and a dipstick, too.

Last edited by TTRob; 05-06-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: grammar/spelling
Old 05-06-2008, 04:17 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No Cost Track Package
- quick disconnect steering wheel
- lw interior door panel option
- bulletproof lsd (the motorsport part)
- 4.0 r&p
- race ABS (this could even be a program button that is pressed like the TC button)
- stiffer springs but still streetable (barely)
Old 05-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
I respect your opinions Dan, but every item you list is beyond my comprehension of why you would want to do that to the GT3. Seriously, as a few have said already, the turbo is the car for you, and you sould not take that as an insult. The turbo is a bad @ss car, and it addresses most of your issues.

Here is what I want and I'm working on (unless I get someones RS soon):

Light weight 996 GT3 CLOTH seats on the way (I don't like leather and the cloth ones are actually 2 lbs lighter each). I will probably just put in the drivers side seat and get the passenger side seat up for fairly quick installs if I must take someone with me.

I will also add the 11.5 lb Braille battery within the next couple of weeks and have a good trickle charger to go with it.

I want to switch to one of the 340 mm Daytona Race GT steering wheels which are thicker (you would like that) and still have plenty of alcantara. I loved the 320 in my Elise, but that would be too small for the GT3. But the current 370 is a bit of a school bus steering wheel to me.

I have never used the radio and don't plan on it. I think I will rip out the speakers at the very least.

I am considering gutting the interior to some degree, even for street use just so I can get this fat *** car to lose some weight.

Mr. John Carey, my new hero; who basically built a cup car out of a base (no option white GT3) ordered the motorsport roof so as to get rid of the sunroof, I am highly considering this; but an RS would take care of that.

To me, even cruise control is to fancy for an option, but I am glad that the GT3 is fairly low in the useless fluff dept.

I hate any kind of technology that does nothing for the performance of the car and just complicates things (more things to break) and that adds weight.

One such example is the bi-xenon headlights. I specifically did not order them and never will. Porsche makes you get those idiotic washer nozzles with them that 98% of Porsche owners don't even know how to use. Then they need to be constantly self leveling so as not to blind on-coming traffic. That adds complexity, little motors to break, and weight. I got the base halogens and just put in the Sylvania "made in Germany" silver star white lights and they work just fine; very well actually, and they are so simple.

The PASM suspension goes against my beliefs of simple and less weight, but I admit it is not a bad feature. HOWEVER, I am perfectly happy driving on either setting, but keep it on the base setting for 95% of driving (including spirited) because it is better on rough roads when you start hitting the twisties hard. I will upgrade to some Motons, JRZ, or maybe Ohlins if those are recommendi
ed.

The 997 GT3 is plenty soft as is the RS version. Just like Mooty wrote in one of the threads, it makes for a great street car.

I want to get the weight below 2,900 lbs for sure, but would love to get closer to 2,750 if at all possible. And then switch to a regular track suspension that can be adjusted for ride height and compression and dampning. This would allow me to adjust the ride height for street use and even soften it up just a bit. But it woudl also me a simplier and lighter system.

I would love to switch the doors to carbon/kevlar and maybe eventhe roof. The fenders and trunk in CF/K would be nice,but I don't wantt lighten up the front too much.

Then later some Brembo 380 mm 2 piece brake rotors with thealum hat and aluminum calipers to cut backon more weight.

Finally, the Cup S exhaust or something similar would be nice to get rid of some of that weight in the rear.

Please don't ask from Porsche what they already have and let us enjoy our GT3's which are unbelievable cars, but could be made much lighter and hard-core while still being streetable. Please don't make it even worse and before you know it our GT3's will weigh as much as a GTR and therefore require those 580 hp to move that boat, but with way too much artifical feeling technology that just drives the car for you perfectly regardless of your skill level.

I love my GT3, god knows I do, but it is still a fat, wobally marshmellow compared to what it cld be.
Ditto. I want a race car that I can drive on the street and to and from the track. You can't make a cup car street legal so some iteration of the GT3 should fill this role. There are enough flavors of "street" 911 to let us have what we want.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

While I don't have a GT3, I've been shopping around and the only thing I'd miss over my standard 997 is the Homelink.

Of course the sunroof debate has been beaten to death, but that rattle trap is one of the few things I seriously dislike about my standard 997.

And I haven't warmed up to PASM. If the 2010 has Homelink, the GT2 seats, no sunroof, and some form of conventional suspension (along with the rumored power increase), it will address all of my issues...

Quick Reply: Things I'd Change on the GT3 if I was Porsche