Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Went to track alignment. What should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:52 PM
SixSpeed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to track alignment. What should I expect?

Last season I tracked my 997GT3 with the street alignment. Going out this weekend with the alignment set to Porsche's track alignment specs.

What differences should I expect?

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:54 PM
kailuadog
Instructor

To buy more rear tires!
Old 05-02-2008, 03:01 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

you should expect to turn in a hell of a lot better, that's for sure!

it will be a lot more mid-corner grip as well due to the camber preventing the tires from rolling over the shoulder. watch your PSI carefully as the increased camber will heat up the insides significantly. I run the stock 19" tires around 34-36 hot and have found that to be the best. I feel like having the front and rear tires at the same PSI is the best for me. Usually when it's warm outside that means my starting cold psi will be around 27-29...with the fronts one PSI higher than the rears.

opinions may differ but most people are running 18'' wheels now.

(btw why do so many GT3 and RS guys also own an RS4?)
Old 05-02-2008, 03:06 PM
SixSpeed
Advanced

CJ - When you live in Wisconsin and the snow starts flying, you really want to put away the high horsepower, rear-wheel drive stuff, but you don't want to spend six months of the year driving something completely sedate either... hence the RS4.

Which reminds me, I need to change my signature. The RS4 is gone.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:35 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SixSpeed
Last season I tracked my 997GT3 with the street alignment. Going out this weekend with the alignment set to Porsche's track alignment specs.

Thanks.
If you have an 07 GT3, and not an RS, you may wish to check your rear sway bar settings. If its set to full stiff, you may notice that the back end will be very, very nervous and prone to snap oversteer.

Keep in mind that a lot of the postings on this site are by owners of the RS model, which has substantial differences in the rear suspension and increased track width. Just a heads-up . . .

Good luck this weekend!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:17 PM
SixSpeed
Advanced

Thanks for the heads-up. Who doesn't like snap oversteer? I know I do. I'll ease into everything.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:50 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks.

What are the track specs?

Thank you.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:37 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks.
- With the zero toe setting versus the stock toe-in + a little more front camber, the font end of the car will feel better
- i'm assuming that the shop that did the track allignment (-2front and 0 toe, -2.5 rear) used shims or rotated the front struts
- if they didn't, it is likely (95%) that your front camber is -1.7 not -2
- still, either way, you will notice better turn-in
- you may still find the car pushes in the slower corners but it will be better than before
- on the highspeed stuff the car will feel very good
- the -2.5 rear camber will keep the rear end glued (as long as you are not foolish) but it will wear the rear inside edges significantly faster
- if you are driving to the track, inflate your front and rear tires significantly more than stock as it will help save the inside edges and then deflate when you arrive
- if your local tracks have long fast sweepers you will like this setup, if they also have 90 degree slower corners you may find that you will eventually want even more front camber and the slightest bit of toe-out in the front (obviously there are tradeoffs for daily driving)
- if you don't want to go the above route a partial step would be to reduce the rear camber a little (ie -2 to -2.2) as it will help the rear rotate a little more and it will also save the rear tires a bit
Old 05-02-2008, 08:09 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- With the zero toe setting versus the stock toe-in + a little more front camber, the font end of the car will feel better
- i'm assuming that the shop that did the track allignment (-2front and 0 toe, -2.5 rear) used shims or rotated the front struts
- if they didn't, it is likely (95%) that your front camber is -1.7 not -2
- still, either way, you will notice better turn-in
- you may still find the car pushes in the slower corners but it will be better than before
- on the highspeed stuff the car will feel very good
- the -2.5 rear camber will keep the rear end glued (as long as you are not foolish) but it will wear the rear inside edges significantly faster
- if you are driving to the track, inflate your front and rear tires significantly more than stock as it will help save the inside edges and then deflate when you arrive
- if your local tracks have long fast sweepers you will like this setup, if they also have 90 degree slower corners you may find that you will eventually want even more front camber and the slightest bit of toe-out in the front (obviously there are tradeoffs for daily driving)
- if you don't want to go the above route a partial step would be to reduce the rear camber a little (ie -2 to -2.2) as it will help the rear rotate a little more and it will also save the rear tires a bit
As always, thanks for your insightful inputs. I too now have the book track settings on the RS except that the rear camber is -2.3 and not -2.5 and shod with R888s 19". Will be at the Glen in 10 days and report back on my findings.

Cheers.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:29 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
As always, thanks for your insightful inputs. I too now have the book track settings on the RS except that the rear camber is -2.3 and not -2.5 and shod with R888s 19". Will be at the Glen in 10 days and report back on my findings.

Cheers.
Bobby,

Will you be at the cups and saucers event?
If so, I will be there as well - i still haven' t booked a hotel.
I may also bring my new 19" r888s but i still have a few more days left on the stock tires - it will be great to get your feedback on these 19" r888s.

If you are there, maybe I can get a ride in your car to feel how the tires handle
Should be a great event - I ran a similar event with Hudson Valley last fall and it was actually too much track time.

Paul
Old 05-02-2008, 09:37 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Cups and Saucers

Hey guys,

I'll be at Cups and Saucers and would really like to "feel out" the
nuances of the different tire choices. I have debated between 19's, 18's, Hoosier vs RA-1's vs R888 - Still can't decide. It would be nice to get a feel in another persons car or follow each other and see where the cars feel different. I really have a hang up with keeping the total tire heights the same if I go to 18's. I don't want to upset the balance of my car. I seem to have the alignment and corner balancing just right. All though I know that I'll gain some gearing advantage by running a smaller overall diameter tire, something just looks wrong with a tire not completely filling the wheel well the way my lowered car does currently.

Last edited by sasportas; 05-02-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-02-2008, 11:00 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul - I'm doing the Chin event on 12th and 13th...unfortunately can't stay for Cups and Saucers. But if you get up there on the 13th come on by as I'll be there until the end of the day.

Sasportas - the same reason why I went with the 19" R888s. We'll find out how they compare with the OEM MPSCs. I guess the following week you and I both are at SP so we'll get time to compare notes.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:12 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Doing -2.8 F, -2.3 R with front toe at zero tomorrow. Sticking with cups for now untill I determine that they are the weak link.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:30 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

khalid I don't think the tires are as bad as everyone thinks- they're just $ to replace and a pain in the *** to keep in stock. Personally I think the sway bar and the toe links are the most necessary points of adjustment
Old 05-04-2008, 03:07 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

You're right in that they are not bad, as far as compromise tires go. The actual weak link is probably me

Quick Reply: Went to track alignment. What should I expect?