Ferrari wins at Long Beach

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,663 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Just imagine a small displacement flat-8 howling at 8,500rpm; we can dream right?
now's that's something i look forward to.
a flat 8 (presumable, have more potential to grow in displacement for the next decade)

DFI, PDK....

maybe move the motor foward a tad... kill the rear seat... oh, that's mid engine isn't it

and sub 3000 lbs (<2500 lbs would be better, but i am talking about reality here)
Old 04-21-2008, 09:17 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Quali times don't mean much if anything in ALMS or Sportscar racing in general...after all teams have been known to "sand bag" in order to keep the governing body, in this case IMSA from "adjusting" the competitive level.

Also please explain what makes you think that changing the fronts (tires) would lengthen the stop by 7 seconds...aren't both sets (front & rear) done at the same time, after they're done with re-fueling?

The only real way to shorten the stop is to double stint the tires...
Old 04-21-2008, 10:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Just make the body out of fiberglass or carbon like other cars to save weight and u got something good to start with.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:35 PM
ceebee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you guys know how important wieght is, particularly in a small displacement, low torque car.
Well, the wieght penalty for going to the 14" tire was 100 kilos (220#). The RSR went from 2445# to 2665#. That is IMSA's way of "performance balancing".
Old 04-22-2008, 12:40 AM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Quali times don't mean much if anything in ALMS or Sportscar racing in general...after all teams have been known to "sand bag" in order to keep the governing body, in this case IMSA from "adjusting" the competitive level.

Also please explain what makes you think that changing the fronts (tires) would lengthen the stop by 7 seconds...aren't both sets (front & rear) done at the same time, after they're done with re-fueling?

The only real way to shorten the stop is to double stint the tires...
no sand bagging in ALMS GT2. You should have seen the Risi team trying to beat Pielet's qualifying time.

After the race I spent some time with the Porsche race engineers and they were in the pits watching the stops and giving advise. This is were the number came from. It sounded high to me too, maybe they referred to that particular pit stop. In any case, all things considered you will be faster changing 2 tires only than 4 (wheel gun throwing, hoses in the way, handling the tires)
Old 04-22-2008, 01:00 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

996FLT6
I think youre right the GT3 is penalized more than most if not all teams. I mean (and I dont know) how does Ferrari go from 3.6 to 4.3 liters and still run in the same class? I would not think that the ALMS Management people would do what ever they can do to to KEEP the GT3 in that class. ITs probably the most historic of the racers in that class. They can start penalizing he other teams and let the Porsche stay at its design limit. But what do I know. I think the only way the ALMS management lets the GT3 retire is that Porsche lets them know they have another car up their sleeve. But again........
Old 04-22-2008, 02:05 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The ALMS F430GT runs a 4.0L version of the 4.3L street engine.

I think Porsche really screwed up increasing the weight of the RSR, just to have the chance of runnning those 14" wheels and big rear tires.

When BMW shows up with their 7-speed V8 ALMS M3, things are going to get ugly for Porsche.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,663 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

When BMW shows up with their 7-speed V8 ALMS M3, things are going to get ugly for Porsche.
yes, and with that, i am hoping we will see porsche really come through with something really really spectacular!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:37 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Wink ...

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Just imagine a small displacement flat-8 howling at 8,500rpm; we can dream right?
How about a 110-deg Vee Eight?

I think it could be the limit of the stroke in H-6 that limits the bore unless P-cars need less torque in low rpm's?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Originally Posted by MJones
MEXICO CITY GT Podium

1. Pontiac GXP-R
2. Pontiac GXP-R
3. Porsche GT3 Cup

GP of Miami

1. GXP-R
2. GT3 Cup
2. GXP-R

Daytona 24 Hr

!. Mazda RX8
2. GT3 Cup
3. GT3 Cup
The Pontiacs and Mazdas' are STAGE II cars and should not even be competing with normal production cars such as the GT3.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Originally Posted by OldGuy
996FLT6
I think youre right the GT3 is penalized more than most if not all teams. I mean (and I dont know) how does Ferrari go from 3.6 to 4.3 liters and still run in the same class? I would not think that the ALMS Management people would do what ever they can do to to KEEP the GT3 in that class. ITs probably the most historic of the racers in that class. They can start penalizing he other teams and let the Porsche stay at its design limit. But what do I know. I think the only way the ALMS management lets the GT3 retire is that Porsche lets them know they have another car up their sleeve. But again........
Ferrari get smaller restrictors.

ACO has the following rules:

* Ferrari 430: 1125 kg, 4000 cc -> 2 x 28.1 mm restrictor
* Porsche 911: 1225 kg, 3800 cc -> 2 x 29.5 mm restrictor

BTW - Smaller restrictors let in less air therefore = less power.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Grand Am is a farce...Tube framed Pontiac's and Mazda's against production based Porsche's...I can just see the Pontiac fans thinking their front wheel drive Grand Prix beat a 911 on the racetrack!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyderidol
Yes , it does seem that they are not doing so well at first glance.
If however, we examine their performance more closely, we see the following:

They took Pole at St. Pete and at Long Beach (new track record)
At Long Beach they had the two fastest race lap times.
The quickest RS was almost 0.5 seconds quicker than the second Porsche and the quickest Ferrari.

The 997 are really not doing well in the "other" series (FIA GT and LMS) but they have only had their first race in each of these series, so hopefully they'll get better.
+1

OG, a friendly reminder: Usually it's not "according the rules" to post race results on the title of thread...
I saw the race live but I'm sure there's always those who DVR things and then gets screwed when they log on to Rennlist and see a threat title such as "Kimi wins in Spain, Hamilton chrashes out", "Ferrari wins in Long Beach" etc... Little spoiler please.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:16 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Dang Fin I didnt EVEN think about those whom might have taped the race. Didnt even CROSS my mind!!!

Here is a friendly reminder that* I AM A KNUCKLEHEAD!!!* and wont do that again!! one of my biggest pet peeves during football season
I apologize and will try to think of others before I do that again!!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Dang Fin I didnt EVEN think about those whom might have taped the race. Didnt even CROSS my mind!!!

Here is a friendly reminder that* I AM A KNUCKLEHEAD!!!* and wont do that again!! one of my biggest pet peeves during football season
I apologize and will try to think of others before I do that again!!
I was sure you knew the "rule", you've been here long enough, maybe it's Oldguy thing...

Quick Reply: Ferrari wins at Long Beach