Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Ferrari wins at Long Beach

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:00 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Finn I have 2 teenagers now and I cant even remember their names!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:27 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemeister
no sand bagging in ALMS GT2. You should have seen the Risi team trying to beat Pielet's qualifying time...
How much fuel was in their tanks?? What was their set up; race or outright speed?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:03 AM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Porsche did not loss the race on the track, they lost it in the pits. On the last round of pit stops the Ferrari got out a little quicker.
The # 71 Tafel Ferrari didn't change tires during the race.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ve-of-the-race

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Quali times don't mean much if anything in ALMS or Sportscar racing in general...after all teams have been known to "sand bag" in order to keep the governing body, in this case IMSA from "adjusting" the competitive level.

Also please explain what makes you think that changing the fronts (tires) would lengthen the stop by 7 seconds...aren't both sets (front & rear) done at the same time, after they're done with re-fueling?

The only real way to shorten the stop is to double stint the tires...
IMSA made just one GT2 adjustment last year and that was giving the PTG Panoz more fuel and more power. The team has some updates on its Yokohama-shod GT2 car for 2008.

Originally Posted by ceebee
All you guys know how important wieght is, particularly in a small displacement, low torque car.
Well, the wieght penalty for going to the 14" tire was 100 kilos (220#). The RSR went from 2445# to 2665#. That is IMSA's way of "performance balancing".
The FIA set those weights.

Originally Posted by OldGuy
996FLT6
I think youre right the GT3 is penalized more than most if not all teams. I mean (and I dont know) how does Ferrari go from 3.6 to 4.3 liters and still run in the same class? I would not think that the ALMS Management people would do what ever they can do to to KEEP the GT3 in that class. ITs probably the most historic of the racers in that class. They can start penalizing he other teams and let the Porsche stay at its design limit. But what do I know. I think the only way the ALMS management lets the GT3 retire is that Porsche lets them know they have another car up their sleeve. But again........
The F430 GTC has a 4.0 liter V-8.

8.0 liter engines are allowed in GT1 and GT2, but the restrictors won't give them 600 hp like in GT1. A car in GT2 with an 8.0 liter engine would also have more weight per FIA/ACO.

Porsche won't race the Cayman.

Quick Reply: Ferrari wins at Long Beach