Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Spanner Tool To Adjust Ride Height

Old 04-16-2008, 02:33 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spanner Tool To Adjust Ride Height

I did a quick search on this and found nothing. Have any of you adjusted the ride height of your GT3 yourselves? If so, where did you get the spanner wrench to adjust the locking rings on the threaded perches?

When I bought a set of Ohlin's for my Elise, they came with the spanner tools. I do not see them in my tool kit or anywhere else.

I will have the dealer do an alignment and corner balance, but I want to make some minor adjustments myself before they mess with it.

I weigh about 245-250 lbs (I am getting fat, luckily I am about 6'3"), and when I get in the car, the suspension definetely sits lower on the driver's side. You can also tell on the front lip, which is scraped more on the left side due to my bulbous mass.

I want to adjust the left higher so that it is about even with me sitting in it. I did this with my father on my Elise and it worked really well.

So who can point me in the right direction to get these tools?

Thanks in advance,

Stephen
Old 04-16-2008, 09:19 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look on page 2 of the racing forum. Larry posted this over there.....

IIRC it was a standard set of spring perch wrenches. This is one from OG Racing, but there are plenty of other ones available. BTW, you will need two.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

don't waste your time or money...they will corner balance by changing the ride height...if you are worried about it..sit in it while they balance...then align...
Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
don't waste your time or money...they will corner balance by changing the ride height...if you are worried about it..sit in it while they balance...then align...
Agreed +2.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
That is what we planning on doing, but I still would like to have the tools. As long as they are not $500.00 for the set, then I would like to buy them.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:19 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Is this a universal tool? I have one from my old M3 , was Bilstein coilover's and it's just sitting on my desk. I would just send it to you!

Martin
Old 04-18-2008, 09:41 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Is this a universal tool? I have one from my old M3 , was Bilstein coilover's and it's just sitting on my desk. I would just send it to you!

Martin
I don't know if it is, but you do need two of them since the two rings are tightened against each other. I believe on the GT3, the two rings have different grooves cut into each one. I need to look at them again tonight.

Thank you for the offer though, that is very kind and generous!
Old 04-19-2008, 12:05 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by 340Elise
I don't know if it is, but you do need two of them since the two rings are tightened against each other. I believe on the GT3, the two rings have different grooves cut into each one. I need to look at them again tonight.

Thank you for the offer though, that is very kind and generous!
Yea I have not even checked on my car, and I bet the Motons would be different anyway. Again I have the tool I can even take a pic, if you can use it , it's yours!
Old 04-19-2008, 09:44 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you need two cause the top one locks against the bottom one. If you want to lower the car for instance, you need one wrench to hold the top ring still and with the second wrench, break free the bottom ring by unscrewing it.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:31 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by CWay27
Yes you need two cause the top one locks against the bottom one. If you want to lower the car for instance, you need one wrench to hold the top ring still and with the second wrench, break free the bottom ring by unscrewing it.
Just looked and it is indeed 2. Here is the pic I just took, let me know if they are sufficient and it's yours

Martin
Old 04-19-2008, 09:15 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill, just sent you a PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:02 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, attempting to adjust the ride height yourself will lead to unintended changes in corner balance, geometry, etc...and will inevitably lead to a messed setup.

Have a professional with precision alignment & scales do the job. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...and don't ask me how I know.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Yea I have not even checked on my car, and I bet the Motons would be different anyway. Again I have the tool I can even take a pic, if you can use it , it's yours!

Hi Martin,

Did you get my PM? Since you have the 2, I would love to have them. And as I wrote in the PM, I will certainly pay for shipping (I have a FedEx account), but I will also give you something for the 2 tools. Just let me know what you want.

Thanks so much,

Stephen

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spanner Tool To Adjust Ride Height