Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

drove a 997GT2 today

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 03:17 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem is if you put an RS wing on a GT3 it looks exactly like an RS. what makes it hotter is the
loud paint jobs. But if you're humble and sincere like me a GT silver paint job on a std GT3 is the ticket.

Or it will get you a ticket or something like that
Old 04-19-2008, 04:32 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

In the past year I have gone a little crazy with cars...the two cars that I drive the enjoy the most are the RS and the CLK63 black series. As a daily driver you cannot have more fun than a black series(mine is white with powdercoated wheels) and for weekend fun and the occasional track my orange RS(with a sharkwerks bypass) is the ticket.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:09 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
And I see it completely differently (not that I am right).

I've done a lot of track days, but am not the fastest guy around. However, there is an order of magnitude difference between the RS and the GT3. Either it is a seat of the pants thing or I am a marketing victim; but it works for me and I'm a skeptic.

If you can get an RS get one, if you get an 07 GT3 get one, neither one is too shabby!
Put a LWFW in a GT3 and it suddenly feels a lot more like an RS. There certainly are suspension differences, but it's the LWFW that gives most of that seat-of-the-pants difference in feel.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:39 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Put a LWFW in a GT3 and it suddenly feels a lot more like an RS. There certainly are suspension differences, but it's the LWFW that gives most of that seat-of-the-pants difference in feel.
DING DING, hit the nail on the head!
Old 04-20-2008, 04:12 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
In the past year I have gone a little crazy with cars...the two cars that I drive the enjoy the most are the RS and the CLK63 black series. As a daily driver you cannot have more fun than a black series(mine is white with powdercoated wheels) and for weekend fun and the occasional track my orange RS(with a sharkwerks bypass) is the ticket.

Rich,

Stop driving that CLK on the 405 while talking on your cell phone -- I blew by you in my Prius last Wednesday around 2:30 PM.

It did look good, though.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:14 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
The problem is if you put an RS wing on a GT3 it looks exactly like an RS.
Yeah..... and then you just have to add the widebody.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:18 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terrence
128 cars for MY2008 for the US (according to my dealer's latest report)

As quick as a CGT at the Nurburgring

Fastest production 911 of all time

I am not surprised its going over sticker at all. In fact, I would be stunned if its not, when Nissan GTR's will be $30K over initially.

I don't think a test drive on Wilshire Blvd is an accurate assessment of this car's capability. I drove my friend's GT2 for 30 mins on PCH and the canyons, and even that was not an appropriate test for this car's true performance and feel, but I could tell the chassis was stiff and responsive and the steering was very communicative. The suspension handles bumps and curve with very fast rebound and recovery times. Like I said before, it feels like a GT3RS with a lot more power. I like my GT3RS, so what's not for me to like in the same car with tons more power and torque, and a more advanced PSM with launch control built-in?

Exhaust sound? That's the easiest thing to modify if one wants. A lot of GT3RS owners have changed their exhaust too. I know a few myself. In fact, I can't remember the last car that I did not change or modify the exhaust. However, I don't think I would change that titanium exhaust. Perhaps removing some baffles might be good.

And power? Not that I am capable of using any more performance, but I am sure a few tuners will have chips and turbo's for this car within 6 months. Given the same tune, it will always be faster, edgier, and thus more "fun" to drive than a 997TT. I own a 997TT, so I think I can be unbiased when I compare the performance and potential of the two cars.

Mine is on the water. I can't wait!
T,

Are you trying to convince yourself or us.

I'll be driving Amir's tomorrow, if he recovers from his cold. Perhaps we'll see you in Malibu.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:54 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

It must have been a heated conversation...because as a general rule I do not allow prius to pass me!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack
T,

Are you trying to convince yourself or us.

I'll be driving Amir's tomorrow, if he recovers from his cold. Perhaps we'll see you in Malibu.
I don't need to convince anybody. Really don't care what others think. I just buy what I want.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terrence
I don't need to convince anybody. Really don't care what others think. I just buy what I want.
That's the Terrence I know and respect -- I'm sure that you'll love your new GT2.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:45 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jack you a funny guy!!!

I have convinced myself that the Standard GT3 is better than the RS that as soon as you come to that realization that I will trade you straight up!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Jack you a funny guy!!!

I have convinced myself that the Standard GT3 is better than the RS that as soon as you come to that realization that I will trade you straight up!!!
NO, Paul.... I think you are the funny guy?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:24 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I thought I just might slip that one by. But no dice huh?! LOL

Quick Reply: drove a 997GT2 today