Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Crank Pulley... another twist?

hey folks, I was talking to a buddy with a shop with and they were getting a baseline for a stock 997 GT3 on the dyno- guess what? Temps rocket up and they shut things down only to find the belt completely off and the pulley/bolt off too... This car was going to get some parts put on but was completely bone stock at the time and with a dual mass. Sigh I'm still not convinced that the LWF theory is causing this as now it's the second _dual_ mass flywheel car I've heard of this happening to. I'm trying to get the build date and specs on it as well...
Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
hey folks, I was talking to a buddy with a shop with and they were getting a baseline for a stock 997 GT3 on the dyno- guess what? Temps rocket up and they shut things down only to find the belt completely off and the pulley/bolt off too... This car was going to get some parts put on but was completely bone stock at the time and with a dual mass. Sigh I'm still not convinced that the LWF theory is causing this as now it's the second _dual_ mass flywheel car I've heard of this happening to. I'm trying to get the build date and specs on it as well...
great, we bought a POS.
alex, you come up with some mod to fix these useless cars
Old 04-14-2008, 09:15 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
great, we bought a POS.
alex, you come up with some mod to fix these useless cars
Trying to gather data to see if maybe it's just the "earlier" cars because the ones I know of were build at the end of 06 early 07... Maybe it was the winter-student-fill-in program?

I seriously wonder if the torque spec was different early on or if indeed they just didn't torque them down to spec properly... or under-estimated. Hard to say but that now makes two _dual mass_ stock 997GT3s I know of and then one RS. We know there are some GT3s with LWFs too that had it happen.

For the 997GT3s, the "fix" (if this is even a fix) is to use the RS pulley, bolt and spacer/washer... oh and some loc-tite
Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Trying to gather data to see if maybe it's just the "earlier" cars because the ones I know of were build at the end of 06 early 07... Maybe it was the winter-student-fill-in program?

I seriously wonder if the torque spec was different early on or if indeed they just didn't torque them down to spec properly... or under-estimated. Hard to say but that now makes two _dual mass_ stock 997GT3s I know of and then one RS. We know there are some GT3s with LWFs too that had it happen.

For the 997GT3s, the "fix" (if this is even a fix) is to use the RS pulley, bolt and spacer/washer... oh and some loc-tite
ha, even better, i have an EARLY car, delivered 4/07.
maybe i should drive it more, blow it up, since it due to the bolt, i may get a free motor....

keep us posted. my RS is bone stock. should i have dealer chk torque. WHY PCNA got no TSB for this thing.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:25 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
ha, even better, i have an EARLY car, delivered 4/07.
maybe i should drive it more, blow it up, since it due to the bolt, i may get a free motor....

keep us posted. my RS is bone stock. should i have dealer chk torque. WHY PCNA got no TSB for this thing.
You know Mooty.. the amount of tracking you do I would feel a lot better if you did have the torq checked? Shouldn't take them long. But of course bear in mind we only know of _one_ RS that this happened to (maybe there are more but nobody yet fessed up). It seems more prevalent on non-RS' but then again there are so many people with the LWF and loads of track miles that never had the issue yet (knock on wood) that maybe it comes down to pure human error. In other words Hans or Frans (or Helga?) and her tensionor tool not being used properly? Speaking of which you'll be glad to know that Porsche doesn't officially have an actual pulley tensionor tool for the GT3RS. I wonder how it is then that they tigten them

Should be a TSB for this. Same with the RMS, which btw I saw and is _useless_. They need to install the 996 GT3/TT and 997TT seal which very rarely leak with the spring/ring in there instead of the POS 997 teflon one

I'll put the LWF theory to the test shorltly on the RS... 14.5 pounds suddenly became 11.5 pounds!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alex can you get a pic of the pulley we need to be looking at and the bolt Torque spec. A little PM might be needed.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:06 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to a new 997 turbo last track day as well! The belt slipped but the owner was lucky that it was at the end of his stint so it got caught in time.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:29 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be a TSB for this. Same with the RMS, which btw I saw and is _useless_. They need to install the 996 GT3/TT and 997TT seal which very rarely leak with the spring/ring in there instead of the POS 997 teflon one
I though they did this for the later cars (as of Nov 2007)?

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley... another twist?