Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Big Wuss

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:52 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Big Wuss

Am I a big Wuss for being concerned about getting the interior of my GT3 wet from tracking it in the rain? Last year was my first year of doing DE’s. I was fortunate to hit it right that I never really had to drive in a downpour with my windows down. This year I have several events lined up and I am not looking forward to driving in the rain and getting the interior wet. Otherwise, I know it’s a good learning opportunity.

So those of you “who do it in the rain” does it damage anything? Is it hard to dry out? Am I going to be driving a moldy GT3?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,301 Likes on 615 Posts

yes you're a wuss.

I'm probably a wuss too then- but I've been lucky to run under sunny skies mostly.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most tracks will let you close the windows if it is raining significantly. Keep in mind that leather is cured with water, so a little doesn't really hurt.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

was told by an old VIR track junkie once..."..only thing dumber 'n racin' in the rain is practicin' in the rain..."

....I have my share of wins and podiums in GT racing but I don't like bent track or race cars(been there and done that$$$)....the trophy at the end of the day in PCA racing ain't worth it...much less so at the end of a DE

thusly; I am a big WUSS....
Old 04-09-2008, 11:36 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Run it rain or shine! Believe it or not, I don't really get that much rain on the inside of the RS. Jeez Hans, did you squish your nads on the leg press?

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Yup. You are a wuss. If I paid for track time I am going to get it. The rain teaches a great deal and makes you a better driver.
I drive in the rain unless I don't have appropriate rubber. PSCs and rain don't go together. Although I did drive on them in light rain when they have a full tread.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ruined my driver seat by sitting on it in wet pants after doing autocross flag duty during a nasty downpour. So watch out!
Old 04-10-2008, 01:47 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,301 Likes on 615 Posts

do they make wet okole seat covers for 996 buckets???
Old 04-10-2008, 02:06 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
was told by an old VIR track junkie once..."..only thing dumber 'n racin' in the rain is practicin' in the rain..."

....I have my share of wins and podiums in GT racing but I don't like bent track or race cars(been there and done that$$$)....the trophy at the end of the day in PCA racing ain't worth it...much less so at the end of a DE

agree....just not worth the potential expense of a crash.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:02 AM
yss
Advanced

if you do go out in the rain, what rubber do you use?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:21 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

I drive on Michelin PS2 tires in the rain. Some people had good success on Pirelli Corsas. Toyo RA1 with full tread is good in the rain, too.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Franz...pay me to run in the rain in someone elses car with no liability and I will be out there all day....one corner of the RSR suspension/body (all carbon kevlar) cost ~25K in parts and labor to repair and its never just one corner; trust me.....and yeah; sqats with 750 lbs. on my back def. cost me some 'nad tissue over the years....(but my sack looks huge with a loop of intestine hanging down in there)
Old 04-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very timely thread given this weekend's DE and weather forecast...won't be running in the rain.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:23 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Am I a big Wuss for being concerned about getting the interior of my GT3 wet from tracking it in the rain? Last year was my first year of doing DE’s. I was fortunate to hit it right that I never really had to drive in a downpour with my windows down. This year I have several events lined up and I am not looking forward to driving in the rain and getting the interior wet. Otherwise, I know it’s a good learning opportunity.

So those of you “who do it in the rain” does it damage anything? Is it hard to dry out? Am I going to be driving a moldy GT3?
If you're a wuss then I'm not sure what I am I'm not goog enough or perhaps enough of a risk taker to go out in rain anyways on the track.....
Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Franz...pay me to run in the rain in someone elses car with no liability and I will be out there all day....one corner of the RSR suspension/body (all carbon kevlar) cost ~25K in parts and labor to repair and its never just one corner; trust me.....and yeah; sqats with 750 lbs. on my back def. cost me some 'nad tissue over the years....(but my sack looks huge with a loop of intestine hanging down in there)
Hans! Way too much info on the nads!

Is that all you can squat?

Quick Reply: Big Wuss