Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New Appreciation for the GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:12 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
Haywood was not happy with the guy so he put his foot into it.
Let me be clear I didn't hurl on Hurly.

That definitely wouldn't be cool.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:52 PM
ceebee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M JONES,
What was the top speed you reached on your hot laps with Cass? I had hot laps with Christian Coggin, but in a Carrera S.
Carlton
Old 03-29-2008, 07:52 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ceebee
M JONES,
What was the top speed you reached on your hot laps with Cass? I had hot laps with Christian Coggin, but in a Carrera S.
Carlton
I really did not pay too close attention..but a mid- high ninety entry into T7 the corkscrew if I remember correctly, vs mid 80 in an "S"
Cass is a great pilot, with many laps around Barber
Old 03-29-2008, 02:52 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hurley's the Man

My wife and I recently did some hot laps with Hurley in an RS and it was a blast. As part of the Amelia Island Concours, Brumos Porsche had arranged to use a runway at a local Naval Air Station as a makeshift track. It was raining cats and dogs yet Hurley didn't hold back at all. I saw north of 170 on the clock on the straight. He put the car through a series of really tight cone turns and heavy braking moves at speeds that I thought surely would break the rear tires loose - yet the car never wavered and felt perfectly glued to the pavement. The experience was over way too fast but will definitely be remembered for a long time. As a (lowly) 997 GT3 owner, I wasn't sure what to expect from the RS. I was pleased to note that the car didn't seem all that different from mine. Of course the biggest difference was in the drivers seat!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:05 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Greatest moment of my automotive life... at the end of my last Masters course I do two laps at Barber with Hurley Haywood in the passenger seat to do my final critique. At the end of the two laps I park, we get out and walk over to the paddock for his review and with a smile and a handshake he says only, "You're doing well, keep it up."

Definitely, with out a doubt, ranks in the top five moments of my entire life.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

I cant help myself, I signed up to do the PDE @ the Nordschleife in July! counting the days!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:06 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iLLM3
I can imagine, i just did VIR in my GT2 and it was unreal, especially since I got a ride with an instructor who had a GT2 in my car, and was in awe !!

Where do they have the Barber events?

I always think i am getting 'good' until a pro drives my car and I am in shock at how much more my car can still do and my car is bone stock....

I shrudder at the thought of awesome tires and their impact on handling
Old 04-01-2008, 10:54 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I signed up to do the PDE @ the Nordschleife in July!
You win this thread
Old 04-01-2008, 02:54 PM
AndreCT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seefouress
My wife and I recently did some hot laps with Hurley in an RS and it was a blast. As part of the Amelia Island Concours, Brumos Porsche had arranged to use a runway at a local Naval Air Station as a makeshift track. It was raining cats and dogs yet Hurley didn't hold back at all. I saw north of 170 on the clock on the straight. He put the car through a series of really tight cone turns and heavy braking moves at speeds that I thought surely would break the rear tires loose - yet the car never wavered and felt perfectly glued to the pavement. The experience was over way too fast but will definitely be remembered for a long time. As a (lowly) 997 GT3 owner, I wasn't sure what to expect from the RS. I was pleased to note that the car didn't seem all that different from mine. Of course the biggest difference was in the drivers seat!
Did you still have the Sport Cup tires on? I did not think they were any good in the wet, especially if it was raining animals..

Seems like it is time to do a PDE course .. but only after I have done the Radical course at Spring Mountain.

Quick Reply: New Appreciation for the GT3