Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OK, So I Need New Rotors Now... Any Suggestions ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:42 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish somebody would find a source (in the US) for the Alcon slotted rotors. I would like to try them out, but can't find any sources or part #s in the US.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:55 PM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dagor6
I heard the performance friction stuff was getting popular.

I'm really unsure as to how the rotors seem to crack so quickly. Does this seem normal to the rest of you guys?

With motorcycles, rotors are pretty much a permanent item and only the pads wear down.
I haven't had to replace my 7gt3's rotors yet, but I put the performance friction hats, slotted rotors and pads on my 6gt3 and they were outstanding. I would highly recommend them and am going to go that way when this car needs them. Buy-in is somewhere in the $500-600 more than replacement stock rotors if I remember correctly. I never used Cup or TireRack's rotors so cannot directly compare.

Slotted. Drilled rotors tend to spawn cracks more quickly. The faster and more often temperatures of the rotors change, the faster the cracks appear. This is perfectly normal and not a problem until they get too large and/or start connecting. My drilled rotors exhibited tiny cracks after 1 hard track weekend.

I don't know about the 7gt3 PFC fitment, but on the 6 as iLLM3 points out, the Pagid or stock pads need to be ground down a little to fit (there is a few millimeters less room of pad height on the PFC setup for which the PFC pads are designed) . I never encountered a problem with pads because the PFC pads were fantastic and I did not need to go back to Pagids.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,060 Likes on 579 Posts

dagor6- good thing about motorcycles is that they're about 6 or 7 times lighter than a car.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

FWIW,....

We've had excellent luck with an AP racing rotor package w/floating rotors (drilled or slotted) on these cars. Being a real racing rotor, these contain a far superior grade of grey cast iron than OEM and are quite durable using race pads.

These are made in several diameters; 350mm, 360mm (and 380mm) that vary in thickness.

Wrightwood Racing makes these and while they are not the cheapest solution, IMHO there is nothing better. We sell & install a LOT of these things.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

if you want it cheap and good, do search on protosport rotors on this board. i love them and did i say CHEAP.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:32 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
if you want it cheap and good, do search on protosport rotors on this board. i love them and did i say CHEAP.
I put them on a couple of DE's ago, upon your suggestion. So far so good...and I can feel the brakes a little better with the pagids.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I wish you guys would mention at least ball park pricing to give some idea of the difference.

How much for stock 1-piece?

How much for the Cup 2-piece?

I run PFC Floating Direct Drive Rotors on my M3s and absolutely love them! They are dimpled, not slotted or cross drilled. I get 30-40 track days out of each disc. (Which I find to be a good value, also the car is 3200lbs, but does not develop the velocity of the GT3) I run their 01 Compound Pads for track and the Z-Rated for Street. Will probably buy the PFC Rotors for the GT3, since I never had ANY problems with the PFC stuff.

I was quoted $1700 for the front set. (For the M3 they only run $600) I am not sure where that stands compared to Cup rotors or even compared to stock. If someone know a better source for the PFC products, please let me know.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinlpl
Man I wish you guys would mention at least ball park pricing to give some idea of the difference.

How much for stock 1-piece?

How much for the Cup 2-piece?

I run PFC Floating Direct Drive Rotors on my M3s and absolutely love them! They are dimpled, not slotted or cross drilled. I get 30-40 track days out of each disc. (Which I find to be a good value, also the car is 3200lbs, but does not develop the velocity of the GT3) I run their 01 Compound Pads for track and the Z-Rated for Street. Will probably buy the PFC Rotors for the GT3, since I never had ANY problems with the PFC stuff.

I was quoted $1700 for the front set. (For the M3 they only run $600) I am not sure where that stands compared to Cup rotors or even compared to stock. If someone know a better source for the PFC products, please let me know.

oem: 700/set - 800/set
Old 03-20-2008, 01:35 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mnorek
I haven't had to replace my 7gt3's rotors yet, but I put the performance friction hats, slotted rotors and pads on my 6gt3 and they were outstanding. I would highly recommend them and am going to go that way when this car needs them. Buy-in is somewhere in the $500-600 more than replacement stock rotors if I remember correctly. I never used Cup or TireRack's rotors so cannot directly compare.

Slotted. Drilled rotors tend to spawn cracks more quickly. The faster and more often temperatures of the rotors change, the faster the cracks appear. This is perfectly normal and not a problem until they get too large and/or start connecting. My drilled rotors exhibited tiny cracks after 1 hard track weekend.

I don't know about the 7gt3 PFC fitment, but on the 6 as iLLM3 points out, the Pagid or stock pads need to be ground down a little to fit (there is a few millimeters less room of pad height on the PFC setup for which the PFC pads are designed) . I never encountered a problem with pads because the PFC pads were fantastic and I did not need to go back to Pagids.
That was going to be my next question, how are PFC's pads and rotor combo, I love my pagid yellows on the GT3 cup rotors, I wonder how they compare..

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
FWIW,....

We've had excellent luck with an AP racing rotor package w/floating rotors (drilled or slotted) on these cars. Being a real racing rotor, these contain a far superior grade of grey cast iron than OEM and are quite durable using race pads.

These are made in several diameters; 350mm, 360mm (and 380mm) that vary in thickness.

Wrightwood Racing makes these and while they are not the cheapest solution, IMHO there is nothing better. We sell & install a LOT of these things.
And another solution comes to the table, I must admit, you guys are confusing the **** out of me with all of these new options LOL...

Originally Posted by mooty
YOU TOO MOOTY , so many options to try out in the future, hmmm.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

using Protosport also, so far, so good, still have an extra set sitting in the garage. When I'm done with them I may just try Performance Friction for one set, just because of the weight. Protosports are 1.5 lbs per side heavier then stock iron rotors, which already weight a ton. But since my rotors seems to last at least 3 times as long as they ever did on my 996, it may be worth it to try some PF
Old 03-21-2008, 10:56 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik
using Protosport also, so far, so good, still have an extra set sitting in the garage. When I'm done with them I may just try Performance Friction for one set, just because of the weight. Protosports are 1.5 lbs per side heavier then stock iron rotors, which already weight a ton. But since my rotors seems to last at least 3 times as long as they ever did on my 996, it may be worth it to try some PF
Ditto, mine have very little wear compared to the OEM's. For me, it's a better/cheaper option than trying to gain a 10th on the track at this time.

Quick Reply: OK, So I Need New Rotors Now... Any Suggestions ?