Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OK, So I Need New Rotors Now... Any Suggestions ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:29 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OK, So I Need New Rotors Now... Any Suggestions ?

Well, I had a blast at VIR this past weekend with the Zone 2 PCA guys. It was my first VIR event. The weather was great and I was running my GT3 .

Just got done washing the car and I noticed my rotors won't stand for many more track days. Spider cracks starting to creep together from the drilled holes.

I'm going down to Summit Point this weekend and I'd like to get an extra set of front rotors to keep on hand, just in case.

What are the recommended rotors for track use?
OEM? Aftermarket? Drilled or slotted?
Which suppliers have the best deals?

Is there such a thing as a decent rotor, at a decent price (is that possible ) ??

Thanks

Last edited by George3; 03-19-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:55 PM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1. I'd like to find some cadmium coated slotted rotors at a decent price.

Flash
Old 03-19-2008, 02:56 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Also, any suggestions who has good deals to Toyo RA1's in the Pennsylvania - New Jersey area would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:25 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doesn't the cadmium quickly wear off?
Originally Posted by flash1034
+1. I'd like to find some cadmium coated slotted rotors at a decent price.

Flash
Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George how's it going man, I tried to find you there several times to chat about your GT3, I absolutely LOVE IT and especially since it's my favorite color Cobalt!!!

We had some fun out there, I was in my RUF R-GT2 in blue until I went white

As far as Rotor's, i'm surprised your rotors went that fast from just this one event, I am running the 3 piece drilled cup rotors and they are so thick that I couldn't see them cgetting spider fractures in them!

To be honest just go for the gt3 cup steel rotors, they are awesome!

BTW I ran the Toyo R888's for the first time that event, and love them, much more so then the RA1's I suggest you go for them!

Martin
Old 03-19-2008, 04:25 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Hi Martin,

Oh yeah, I recognize the back of your car from VIR

I worked grid tech each morning. I think I teched your car one day.

Anyway, no it's not just from one event. I have several events from last year, but I'm noticing it more since the high speed braking at VIR.

Where do you get the steel cup rotors and about what do they cost?

BTW, are you running 18" or 19" R888's ?
Old 03-19-2008, 05:05 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Doesn't the cadmium quickly wear off?
Yes, it does. Epoxy coating is becoming more popular. Several of our rotors have it.

We have many rotors. If you see what you like let me know.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/index.jsp
Old 03-19-2008, 05:36 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Yes, it does. Epoxy coating is becoming more popular. Several of our rotors have it.

We have many rotors. If you see what you like let me know.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/index.jsp
I searched your website and after entering all the vehicle and brake information. I'd like to talk about rotors for my GT3. I'll give you a call.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:43 PM
jenk12m
Banned

hey george, gald you fun at VIR. i was blue group car #12. i think i came by you once when you had an agriculture experience coming around oaktree. sorry we didnt get to meet and i hope you find some rotors.
a buddy of mine was able to order some cup rotors through his dealer. dont know if you have a relationship with anyone at your dealer that could help you out like that
Old 03-19-2008, 05:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,060 Likes on 579 Posts

the slotted cup rotors are light, and once you pay for the hats, which I'm pretty sure last for a few sets, are quite economical. I would go that route personally.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:51 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by George3
Hi Martin,

Oh yeah, I recognize the back of your car from VIR

I worked grid tech each morning. I think I teched your car one day.

Anyway, no it's not just from one event. I have several events from last year, but I'm noticing it more since the high speed braking at VIR.

Where do you get the steel cup rotors and about what do they cost?

BTW, are you running 18" or 19" R888's ?
Haha I was going pretty hard out there, but all within my comfort zone and still pulling a 2:12

I will find out for you how much the rotors are, I totally forgot. I ran the GT3 cup's then got a set of 3 piece cup rotors rear and still kept the GT3 cup up front, well now after VIR they are like yours starting to show wear, so on goes the 3 piece fronts.

I'll get you the figures on both options.

I was running 18's BTW with my R888's, 245/335 rear.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 PM
dagor6
Advanced

I heard the performance friction stuff was getting popular.

I'm really unsure as to how the rotors seem to crack so quickly. Does this seem normal to the rest of you guys?

With motorcycles, rotors are pretty much a permanent item and only the pads wear down.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenk12m
hey george, gald you fun at VIR. i was blue group car #12. i think i came by you once when you had an agriculture experience coming around oaktree. sorry we didnt get to meet and i hope you find some rotors.
a buddy of mine was able to order some cup rotors through his dealer. dont know if you have a relationship with anyone at your dealer that could help you out like that
Too, bad we didn't meet. I might have tech'd your car one morning, though.
Yeah, Oaktree was fun. I came in a little hot and tried to slide through it, but went a little wide and dropped my rear left tire. Totally my fault.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:23 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Haha I was going pretty hard out there, but all within my comfort zone and still pulling a 2:12

I will find out for you how much the rotors are, I totally forgot. I ran the GT3 cup's then got a set of 3 piece cup rotors rear and still kept the GT3 cup up front, well now after VIR they are like yours starting to show wear, so on goes the 3 piece fronts.

Thanks, Martin. I appreciate that. I think I'll be OK for this weekend at SP, but want to keep a set for spares just in case. Your lap times are awesome. Were you running in Blue or White? BTW, did you need to mod the rear to get the 335's to fit?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by George3

Thanks, Martin. I appreciate that. I think I'll be OK for this weekend at SP, but want to keep a set for spares just in case. Your lap times are awesome. Were you running in Blue or White? BTW, did you need to mod the rear to get the 335's to fit?
George I was running with you in Blue then I went solo, then White 3rd day!! You had the yellow film on your headlights correct?

The PFC rotors are suppose to be REAL good, I might be spoiled after my 3 piece cup's but i'm definitely going to have to try them out, only problem is you can't run the Pagid Yellow RS29's with them I heard , and I love these pads a lot...

335's fit on my 12" rears with no fender issues, modifying necessary. The GT2 already comes with rolled fenders from the factory, no problems...

I definitely hear what you are saying though in regards to spares, it's totally necessary, you should be good though but I haven't seen your rotors, i'm assuming they are like mine with tiny fractures starting, and I could still get 2 day's out of mine!

Quick Reply: OK, So I Need New Rotors Now... Any Suggestions ?