Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Vibration Noise in driver's side door and seat belt clip

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:08 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KerryE
I just bought a 2010 gt3 and have the same vibration! I do not notice it as much in city driving, but, on the highway at 2800 rpm's and above. My door rattles and it is driving me crazy. If I push in the clutch the vibration goes away, so I know it is in the drive train. I had a 09 c2s and it was silky smooth at any speed.

I am quite disappointed, I guess I could live with it if it is normal. Anybody else experience this and if so what did you do?
I'd suggest using that warranty that we all paid a nice premium for.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:45 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

The dynamic engine mounts should solve this by transferring less of the engine vibration to the chassis during street driving and then tightening back up for spirited driving, when the exhaust note drowns out any interior noises.

The only solution I've found is to drive above 3,000rpm or turn the stereo way up. I appreciate how irritating it is on the highway to the track when most North American highways have us right at 3,000rpm in 6th gear for a police-safe cruising speed
Old 11-09-2009, 12:22 AM
malammik
Racer

I've had this rattle for 2 years. It drove me nuts. Almost bought another car. These pictures are not mine. I performed all of the steps though instead of taking out the door panel, I tightened screws mentioned in each step.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...moval-diy.html

My buddy had the same problem last year so we just tightened the screws in step #3 for him and it the rattle has been gone for good. That plastic thing just comes out. Pull it out from the left side.

If the door is still rattling, I suggest taking out the entire door panel and tightening, checking everything. Good Luck!
Old 11-09-2009, 07:07 AM
getoutofmyporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pls give me some comfort....

Mine is to be delivered early next year, and I am so worried to see this post full of complaints for the rattles in 997.2 GT3. Pls give me some comfort....My mood suddenly turns into concern for big headache.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by getoutofmyporsche
Mine is to be delivered early next year, and I am so worried to see this post full of complaints for the rattles in 997.2 GT3. Pls give me some comfort....My mood suddenly turns into concern for big headache.
Any car that gets taken to tracks and rides curbs the way these cars can will have rattles and noises. My 993 Turbo used to sound like it was about to explode after a track day.

The GT3 is far better in that regard in that it's actually quieter after a track day. A few rattles here and there are to be expected given the loads the chassis takes on.

Having said that, the rattle most are speaking of in this thread is related to the engine harmonics at 3,000rpm, unrelated to any track use. You gotta give something up for an engine putting out 415hp out of 3.6L!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

My car rattles in the door panels right at 2,900RPM and it might be even more pronounced due to the bypass unit I have.

How to ameliorate? I'm having my indy take a look and put in some insulation?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:12 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my lt door handle on my .2 buzzes around 3k. if i move it very slightly it stops. these engines sometimes resonate around that rpm, imo.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:00 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

OT but after a weekend of airing out my gt3 at full song- engine purrs like a kitten heading back home : ). Mike
Old 11-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

I have the same rattle. Drivers door, high up and intermitently. If I hold it or bang on it it goes away - sometimes. Mine's a 2010 non-RS. It's done it from day 2. Never bothered with doing anythign about it. If that's the only issue after thrashing it within an inch of it's life at the track, then I'm happy.

Hey, Aerokitted - UP THE GUNNERS!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by 911dev
my lt door handle on my .2 buzzes around 3k. if i move it very slightly it stops. these engines sometimes resonate around that rpm, imo.
Originally Posted by Yorkshireman
I have the same rattle. Drivers door, high up and intermitently. If I hold it or bang on it it goes away - sometimes. Mine's a 2010 non-RS. It's done it from day 2. Never bothered with doing anythign about it. If that's the only issue after thrashing it within an inch of it's life at the track, then I'm happy.

Hey, Aerokitted - UP THE GUNNERS!
Same here, passenger's and drivers door handles on the inside buzz or resonate at certain rpms... Touch them and it goes away... Problem is I can't drive with no hands in order to keep them quiet

Most of my cars have been sports cars with heaps of rattles, learning to live with it...

Quick Reply: Vibration Noise in driver's side door and seat belt clip