Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Building a 996

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008 | 09:26 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

how much does the week to week or event to event budget differ on something like this compared to a 2000-2002 cup car?
Old 03-01-2008 | 09:38 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some of the local PCA guys have been taking advantage of the soft 996 market and turning these cars into GTS3 (NASA) and PCA racers. As stated the crate motor is less than 10k, and I have been told upkeep should be perhaps 25-50% less than a cup car.
Old 03-01-2008 | 10:00 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
how much does the week to week or event to event budget differ on something like this compared to a 2000-2002 cup car?
Originally Posted by eclou
Some of the local PCA guys have been taking advantage of the soft 996 market and turning these cars into GTS3 (NASA) and PCA racers. As stated the crate motor is less than 10k, and I have been told upkeep should be perhaps 25-50% less than a cup car.
Sounds about right. Of course, everything is subjective....could have great luck with the right cup, but best ones are 03 to 05 as they have the updates and, therefore, cost a bit more. The best thing CJ is that when I'm done, I will have a lot of new parts, so maintenance should be small for the first year. More performance equals more cost, so I'll settle for a little less performance for a year or two. By then, hopefully the 03-05 cup market will be a little better! I've done a great deal of asking questions about people's experiences, and of course the advice right here on RL is the BEST, but there is no perfect formula for getting the right car for the right club/class, etc....just have to go with what fits the individual's goals at the time. It's all a huge education for me. Hopefully sharing my experience will help others here, as others here have certainly helped me.
Old 03-01-2008 | 10:36 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
More performance equals more cost, so I'll settle for a little less performance for a year or two. .
a year or two would be very optimistic...based on your current advancing rate learning curve; you will be craving more performance after an outing or two....and once you get some "fender to fender" experience and want to try and run up front; the craving becomes insatiable...I, for one, am going to enjoy watching your progress and look forward to your reports...your gonna have so much fun!
Old 03-01-2008 | 10:41 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just came back from a private track day at TWS. A very well sorted 997GT3 with lots of solid suspension bushing mods turned a shade under 1:52 with an excellent driver. An 03 996 cup car being sorted out turned a 1:42 with a semi-pro driver. Big difference
Old 03-02-2008 | 12:55 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

By far the biggest expense with Cups is the tires. A set of Michelin's are almost $2k per set and they're only good for 4 race sessions, then maybe another 8 practice sessions. With a 996 based platform you can run R tires if you choose. I would think most other wear items would be about the same....

CJ you should take a look at the new Spec Boxster series that was so successful in it's first season last year. A couple of your neighbors in Texas have either bought one or are currently building them. The cars are relatively inexpensive to build or buy, maintanance is downright cheap by comparison to other P-race cars, and they're fun-as-hell to drive and race. They're a great first Porsche car to race and out West most of the owners are very experienced racers who just fell in love with the concept.

JW in Texas just bought one of the West Coast Boxsters and should have it out next week. You should hook up with him when you can and take a ride....
Old 03-02-2008 | 04:01 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'll hit up JW and see what the spec boxster is all about- I'm not really able to 'race' right now and am probably another year off a cup car type jump, but it's always nice to know what my options are. To be totally forward, I'm getting ready to race in the next rennsport reunion- so like Rog the next 2 years are about education for me.

having a long term plan is important, you don't want to spend all your arms and legs in one place.
Old 03-02-2008 | 09:49 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leif997
a year or two would be very optimistic...based on your current advancing rate learning curve; you will be craving more performance after an outing or two....
That's what I also think but hey, at least he'll be able to say that he tried it and will be able to give great advice to others later on...... And/or even pick up a great ride at a great price
Old 03-02-2008 | 11:00 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

you don't want to spend all your arms and legs in one place.
Especially not your left arm and leg.....
Old 03-02-2008 | 06:19 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

tires killed me
Old 03-02-2008 | 09:45 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Rog,
What made you decide to go with the 3.6 in I class vs the 3.4 ('99-'01) in H class, 996? From what I understand, they are pretty much the same car besides the motor? Also, I would love to see what kind of build sheet they put together for your car when you get it all figured out. I'm still on the fence as to turning my 993 into a G class car, or going the 996 route.
Old 03-03-2008 | 12:01 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
By far the biggest expense with Cups is the tires. A set of Michelin's are almost $2k per set and they're only good for 4 race sessions, then maybe another 8 practice sessions. With a 996 based platform you can run R tires if you choose. I would think most other wear items would be about the same....

CJ you should take a look at the new Spec Boxster series that was so successful in it's first season last year. A couple of your neighbors in Texas have either bought one or are currently building them. The cars are relatively inexpensive to build or buy, maintanance is downright cheap by comparison to other P-race cars, and they're fun-as-hell to drive and race. They're a great first Porsche car to race and out West most of the owners are very experienced racers who just fell in love with the concept.

JW in Texas just bought one of the West Coast Boxsters and should have it out next week. You should hook up with him when you can and take a ride....
There are couple of guys that run boxsters with suspension and tires and do very well at RRR. Good drivers as well.
Old 03-03-2008 | 12:11 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by David Edwards
Rog,
What made you decide to go with the 3.6 in I class vs the 3.4 ('99-'01) in H class, 996? From what I understand, they are pretty much the same car besides the motor? Also, I would love to see what kind of build sheet they put together for your car when you get it all figured out. I'm still on the fence as to turning my 993 into a G class car, or going the 996 route.
As I understand it, the 3.6 can be modified for more power (or not) to enter into a lower/higher class. The 02 and above has a few body updates as well. Gives me a few more options and of course a little newer car for not too much more money. Also, I think the 3.6's are easier to replace and more plentiful, as there is more demand for that engine. As far as classes go, we're going to spend a full day going over NASA and PCA and see what is the best fit for me. My goal is to max my power/weight ratio for the classes I run in with as many goodies as possible, without being thrown in with the cups. It will also be a GREAT advantage to have a cage, seat, etc to fit my body type and style of driving. That may or may not involve stock wing etc. I can't wait!
Old 03-05-2008 | 08:25 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Picked out a seat today...gonna go for the GTB class and "mack" it out. Will be as good as you can get the for NASA GTS4 class.

Quick Reply: Building a 996