Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Building a 996

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008 | 12:42 AM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CWay27
So that's the car you got for barely 30K?? It looks fantastic and keep us posted on the mods. BTW, was it loaded through the roof with options or was it a stripper??
32k. Still great price though. Not sure about all the options...I'll check it out next week. Gonna rip it out anyway, so wasn't too concerned about them.
Old 02-29-2008 | 03:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

can't wait for pix rog.
it's gonna be awesome.
Old 02-29-2008 | 06:32 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

What venues and what class will you run it in?
Old 02-29-2008 | 09:01 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

ebay off all the options and recoupe some $$ for the track build. I have always considered a dedicated track car the wisest choice both in terms of risk and driving experience. My stomach only allows me to push a $120k+ car to a certain level at the track.
Old 02-29-2008 | 12:21 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Hey Roger that sounds like fun. You can definitley get more aggressive but you won't have that straight away speed. I love my 996. Is the new family addition here yet?
Old 02-29-2008 | 03:13 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

I am excited about your project. I have considered a 996 for my next rack car as well. I had a 2003 and it was a great car.
You may want to look into NASA. Depending on what you take out of the car, I believe you'd be in GTS-3. It's a great class and great bunch of guys are running that class here in Texas. I imagine it would be the same in your neck of the woods.
Best of luck.
Chad
Old 02-29-2008 | 06:10 PM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

NASA GTS-3 is a great class to race in. You might want to consider the stock aerokit since, i think, modified aero will be an issue if you want to race in PCA. However, if the car is stripped it won't run in a stock class anyway. Definitely check out the regulations closely for the classes you think you want to race in. Good luck. The "little" 996 is a fun car!

-KJ
Old 02-29-2008 | 10:35 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
What venues and what class will you run it in?
Planning on NASA and PCA club for now. I'm meeting with them (Autometrics) next Wed to see what "options" get me into each particular class. I'll update as soon as I get things finalized. I would love to run a cup, but I think a step below will be good for me for the next couple of years. It will still be extremely competitive and hopefully a good place to begin the wheel-to-wheel world.
Old 02-29-2008 | 10:36 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by eclou
ebay off all the options and recoupe some $$ for the track build. I have always considered a dedicated track car the wisest choice both in terms of risk and driving experience. My stomach only allows me to push a $120k+ car to a certain level at the track.
Old 02-29-2008 | 10:40 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bella1
Hey Roger that sounds like fun. You can definitley get more aggressive but you won't have that straight away speed. I love my 996. Is the new family addition here yet?
Thanks Alex...I'm really looking forward to it. New baby (Priscilla) will arrive on June 13th. You know Allen with the Z06 from our instructor school went off last weekend on turn 1 (raining), up and over the berm and into a tree. Looked really bad.
Old 02-29-2008 | 10:42 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
I am excited about your project. I have considered a 996 for my next rack car as well. I had a 2003 and it was a great car.
You may want to look into NASA. Depending on what you take out of the car, I believe you'd be in GTS-3. It's a great class and great bunch of guys are running that class here in Texas. I imagine it would be the same in your neck of the woods.
Best of luck.
Chad
Thanks Chad...trying to find the "sweet" spot for NASA and PCA.

Originally Posted by KJinDC
NASA GTS-3 is a great class to race in. You might want to consider the stock aerokit since, i think, modified aero will be an issue if you want to race in PCA. However, if the car is stripped it won't run in a stock class anyway. Definitely check out the regulations closely for the classes you think you want to race in. Good luck. The "little" 996 is a fun car!

-KJ
Thanks KJ.
Old 03-01-2008 | 12:09 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Franz, is that 70K total with the donor price or 102K total...?? either way, you might want to unload the donor and just get one of the numerous 2000-2001 cups for sale in the classifieds....just a few bucks more and you have a relatively bullet-proof car that is turn-key ready to race and have fun...been down the "build it my self" road...the price never justifies the end result and you will be lucky to get your 30-40K max back for the donor after it has been race prepped.....Franz...get the older Cup, minimize your headaches and have a blast. Seriously.
Old 03-01-2008 | 12:17 AM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by leif997
Franz, is that 70K total with the donor price or 102K total...?? either way, you might want to unload the donor and just get one of the numerous 2000-2001 cups for sale in the classifieds....just a few bucks more and you have a relatively bullet-proof car that is turn-key ready to race and have fun...been down the "build it my self" road...the price never justifies the end result and you will be lucky to get your 30-40K max back for the donor after it has been race prepped.....Franz...get the older Cup, minimize your headaches and have a blast. Seriously.
It's 70 total. I hear what you are saying, but, I think this is a good move for me for a lot of reasons. Yeah, I could get an older cup for 65k. But, I know personally of someone that has went down that road only to spend another 30k to get the car in decent shape. They're great cars, but at my level, I think a lower class is right for me at the moment and I'll be a better driver in the end. Also, I blow an engine, it's 10k for a crate motor, 3.6...that's hard to beat Hanz. Yeah, a little less performance, but I can always DE the RS when I feel the need for speed. Otherwise, I'll be racking up seat time in the 996 on a competitive level. The cup is coming...I just feel I need to invest more in the driving than the car for a little while.
Old 03-01-2008 | 12:29 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
It's 70 total. I hear what you are saying, but, I think this is a good move for me for a lot of reasons. Yeah, I could get an older cup for 65k. But, I know personally of someone that has went down that road only to spend another 30k to get the car in decent shape. They're great cars, but at my level, I think a lower class is right for me at the moment and I'll be a better driver in the end. Also, I blow an engine, it's 10k for a crate motor, 3.6...that's hard to beat Hanz. Yeah, a little less performance, but I can always DE the RS when I feel the need for speed. Otherwise, I'll be racking up seat time in the 996 on a competitive level. The cup is coming...I just feel I need to invest more in the driving than the car for a little while.
good decision and very well substantiated....enjoy the "very slippery slope" to come...smoking crack will be cheaper in the end
Old 03-01-2008 | 09:21 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by leif997
...smoking crack will be cheaper in the end
I think it already is.

Quick Reply: Building a 996