Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS Decal and clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:45 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT3 RS Decal and clear bra

Quick question to the RS owners. Does your rear fender rock guard sticker go over or under the GT3 RS sticker? It is usually body color, so for it to go over, it would have to be clear, right? Or is it right on the edge so it doe not cross?

Next question, for you RS owners. Did any of you do a clear bra material on your doors? If so, then did you have it go right over the GT3 RS decal? I know that some also did a full rear fender wrap, I believe; same question for you.

I am asking because I have clear bra rocker piece that swoops up to the rear fender; I took the stock fender piece off because of this. I also have a door guard that goes up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the door from the bottom. So if I do a special side decal on my car, then I need to know if I am going to put the decal over my existing clear bra, or take it off and put new pieces on. I personally think that once I do a decal, I can get rid of the clear bra piece on the door.

As for the one on the rocker that swoops up the front of the rear fender; I could just cut out the area where the decal will go. I think that would be the cleanest.

OK, thanks for the help, I have the solution I want. Sometimes you just have to talk (or write) about it and you end up answering your own questions.

You guys are the best; I love you all!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:53 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no rear fender rock guard on the RS
Old 02-25-2008, 10:30 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by Colm
There is no rear fender rock guard on the RS
There is on my orange RS desk top that I downloaded from Porsche.com, North America. You can actually see the faint outline of the rock guard. In this pic I filled in the approximate area of where the line shows, but I cannot see the bottom of it:
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2008, 10:31 PM
340Elise
Banned

Here is the hocky stick version :
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2008, 10:46 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was pretty sure there wasn't one on it!

To be certain, I got out of the chair, looked at the car, ran my hand over the paintwork... and there is no rear fender rock protection!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:52 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i made a custom piece of 3M ppf that goes all the way down the lower rocker panel and all the way up the rear quarter panel. i then placed the stripe graphic over it. The stripe comes off w/o issues as I have replaced it a few times changing the design. the oem clear piece is yellowish and I would recommend you replace it with a custom piece before putting on your stripes.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just to be clear (no pun intended):

The clear piece is on the GT3, but it is not on the RS, probably due to the decals.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

CORRECT. there's clr film from factory only on GT3 and NOT on RS.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:29 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

To clarify further, none on the ROW RS as well.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
I am asking because I have clear bra rocker piece that swoops up to the rear fender; I took the stock fender piece off because of this. I also have a door guard that goes up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the door from the bottom. So if I do a special side decal on my car, then I need to know if I am going to put the decal over my existing clear bra, or take it off and put new pieces on. I personally think that once I do a decal, I can get rid of the clear bra piece on the door.

As for the one on the rocker that swoops up the front of the rear fender; I could just cut out the area where the decal will go. I think that would be the cleanest.

OK, thanks for the help, I have the solution I want. Sometimes you just have to talk (or write) about it and you end up answering your own questions.

You guys are the best; I love you all!
I do not recommend using the decal as your paint protection! The vinyl for the stripes is usually about 2 mils thick. its super thin and will not protect your paint like a 8 mil thick PPF. put the vinyl decals over the ppf. if you have ppf on the rocker panel all the way to the door opening you won't even notice. as for your door protection strip, that probably would have to go where your vinyl is or you can cover the entire door in ppf and then put the decal over it. just don't rely on your vinyl decal as paint protection! thats not what it is designed for.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't have any on mine, nor do I have the black hockey stick......
Old 02-26-2008, 12:23 PM
340Elise
Banned

Thanks! That is interesting since the fender flairs on the RS are even more pronounced and more prone to damage.

I guess the decal is part of the reason, and they figure that RS owners are smart enough to do what they want in terms of paint protection.

I will not use the decal as paint protection; however, I will remove the paint protection on the lower 1/4 of my doors since I really don't think it is neccesary anyway. I will leave the rocker and fender guards and put the decal over it.

Thanks for the advice carreraing.

Stephen
Old 02-26-2008, 02:14 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a white GT3RS without decals at Downtown Porsche in Toronto when I was picking my car up; it had the fender protection so it appears that decals = no protection.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:57 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the clear film right over the decal for protection. With so much track use, it was better for me to cover it up, even over the decal. I'll deal with taking it off when the time comes. Looks great and protects very well.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 PM
BKSPN33
Advanced

The majority of RS owners that I know (including mine) has the 3M over the decal. It works great. Just make sure you do it before any road/track acivity. I have two friends that did it after a couple weeks and you can never make it perfect again.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Decal and clear bra