Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help, my wheels aren't round!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help, my wheels aren't round!

Had my wheels balanced the other day and noticed, on the balancing machine, that both left wheels are slightly out of round (probably caused by a pothole). It's minimal - the inside rim bobs up and down just a couple milimeters as it spins. Question is, can they be reliably fixed?

There is a reputable company here that does this work for high-end brands. They have some xray machine they use to inspect the metal before and after repair. My Porsche dealer says they do excellent work and recommends them. Is this reasonable or should I stay away? TIA.

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 02-20-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:33 AM
v12man
Instructor

http://www.hitechmagrepairs.co.za/home.htm

These guy's do have an xray - they do a lot of porsche wheels - my wheels are in their gallery.

Best

Guy
Old 02-20-2008, 12:51 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

My concern is that they heat the wheels to true them. It's the heat that bothers me. I know, for example, that there is some concern with powdercoating wheels because of the heat. That's why I'm worried about having my wheels fixed.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 AM
v12man
Instructor

I would not worry too much about the heat to straighten them - many of the porsche challenge cars wheels have had much worse damage sorted out, with no problems to note - including size changes and welding - the only alternative is to buy new one's - I will make you an offer on your old one's.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:59 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

OK now WHAT are the chances TWO guys from Johannesburg come out on Rennlist at one time? I mean
we got 2000 guy here from LA and SoCal (and there are only 1000 GT3/RS in the US) but TWO guys from the same neighborhood in SoAfrica??!!!
I love this place and I am glad you guys are here!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:29 PM
v12man
Instructor

Chances are better than you think - there are several SAffies on this board - at least 3 I know personally - including Speedgeek - probably many more who just lurk.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I used a shop that heats the entire wheel then works the metal to get the radial runout corrected. If the metal wheel is not worked correctly it may get cracks. Proper crack checking equipment should be used regardless. The disadvantage of the heating process is the wheel needs to be refinished cosmetically.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:07 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by enthusiast
The disadvantage of the heating process is the wheel needs to be refinished cosmetically.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it would require repainting. I'm thinking I might just leave them as is - they are only very slightly out of round. In normal driving I can't feel any problem. Only at high speed (100+ mph) on glass-smooth asphalt do I sense a very slight vibration, and even then I can't be certain it's the Flintstones wheels that's the cause. I'll call the wheel shop and ask if they will need to repaint. If so I think I'll pass.

Originally Posted by OldGuy
OK now WHAT are the chances TWO guys from Johannesburg come out on Rennlist at one time? I mean
we got 2000 guy here from LA and SoCal (and there are only 1000 GT3/RS in the US) but TWO guys from the same neighborhood in SoAfrica??!!!
I love this place and I am glad you guys are here!
Yeah, the internet is amazing - the greatest networking tool ever devised.

South Africans are car-crazy, and the Porsche fraternity here is large and long established. Like v12man says, I'm sure there's more than just the two of us on Rennlist.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Yeah, the internet is amazing - the greatest networking tool ever devised.

South Africans are car-crazy, and the Porsche fraternity here is large and long established. Like v12man says, I'm sure there's more than just the two of us on Rennlist.
well hey I might as well throw this out there- I've always wanted to meet Charlize Theron, and she's SA- so if you guys run into her, get her to sign onto RL so I have a chance
Old 02-22-2008, 10:59 AM
v12man
Instructor

Sheesh bro... rather look at Minki...

http://www.sportsillustrated.co.za/s...lery/minki.php
Old 02-22-2008, 05:22 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

I lived in California for 17 years, 8 in Los Angeles, and I have to say that S. African women are better looking on average. OTOH, the US has Hispanic babes... I'll take Jessica Alba over Theron or Minki anyday!

Quick Reply: Help, my wheels aren't round!