Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Home Link

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:05 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Home Link

Does anybody have Home Link on their GT3?

It came standard on my 2005 997 C2, and I believe it was also standard on my 2006 Cayman S, although I am not positive about that one.

I found it extremely odd that the car did not come with it; I couldn't even find it as an option after I took delivery of the car and found it to be absent.

Please understand that I am not an options kind of guy; the less the better. Even the standard equipment on the GT3 is too much for me, although it is not too bad.

But I must admit, I really like the Home Link option. It allows me to keep the garage door opener out of car, which frees up some of the cubby space, takes away a rattle item, and is simply just cleaner. I doubt that the wiring and electronics of the Home Link weigh very much; so I have a hard time believing that is why they left it out. Besides, I think that the GT3 comes standard with the auto sensor wipers (my 2005 997 C2 had those as standard); those are not a whol lot different, in terms of unnessary gizmos, than the Home Link.

I have the blank buttons where it should be installed, is it possible to add it to the car? In my Subaru WRX STi it is built right into the rearview mirror; I really like having it.

Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.

Stephen
Old 02-19-2008, 08:30 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do a search on this and other Porsche forums you'll find a number of diy solutions. I agree it should be standard on these cars.
I bought one of these, not built in but workable.
http://www.opendoorsandmore.com/hl-only.php
Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe my WIndow sticker has it on there but its not in the car.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

no such thing in GT3's.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:00 PM
DrPeter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The retrofit in a GT3 would require wires that were not pre-laid and a $600 black box that goes in the front of the trunk area.

In your dome light area you have black oval caps where the homelink controls are supposed to be.

What I did was similar to the 996 retrofit, where I purchased the OEM homelink switches and wired the contacts to the contacts on the garage door opener, The whole thing fits behind the domelight area and looks OEM except I cannot figure out how to make the switches glow in the dark.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...70&hl=homelink
Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPeter
The retrofit in a GT3 would require wires that were not pre-laid and a $600 black box that goes in the front of the trunk area.

In your dome light area you have black oval caps where the homelink controls are supposed to be.

What I did was similar to the 996 retrofit, where I purchased the OEM homelink switches and wired the contacts to the contacts on the garage door opener, The whole thing fits behind the domelight area and looks OEM except I cannot figure out how to make the switches glow in the dark.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...70&hl=homelink
Or something like this - self contained and fits in the visor - don't know if there's enough room in the P-car visor though - looks pretty thin. http://www.aaaremotes.com/gehoviwibe.html
Old 02-19-2008, 11:55 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

just hunk the horn and get the damn wife to open the garage door.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

What do you gents think about this solution?

http://www.clickawayremotes.com/Flas...B000BVVDL8.htm
Old 02-20-2008, 02:33 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris C.

That is a cool find. I did something similar to my 993 with a harley high beam door opener. It is a great stealth idea if you only have one door to control.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:40 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
just hunk the horn and get the damn wife to open the garage door.
Damn Mooty. You must have it good. I need to take notes

(I would be sleeping on the sofa so fast it would make your head spin)

-Blake
Old 02-20-2008, 02:41 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.

I think it sucks. I have one, would you like to buy it? Flashing the high beams everytime to get in is annoying, and it did not always work. What I ended up doing (in my Elise at the time), is opening the battery cover of my garage remote and adding a resistor in line to drop the aprox 12 Volts from my car to the 9 Volts needed by my remote. Then I put the cover back on with the resistor inside the battery area and the two power wires coming out of a small notch that I cut into the edge of the battery cover. I taped the entire opener with electrical tape to give it extra protection from water and then just wire tied it into the front of the car underneath the left access panel. From the wires I ran them into the car to the drivers side and hooked them up to power and ground with a small red Radio Shack button in line with one of the wires. I mounted this little button in the roof of a cubby hole (top panel on the inside of the cubby).

So that was my version of homelink for my Elise. I suppose I could just do the same for the GT3 with an OEM homelink button on the upper panel as you guys described. I just have to figure out where to put the opener. I have one of the old style where you set the code yourself with the binary switches (forget what they are called). It is a pretty big unit and does not hide well except for in a place like the trunk. I guess it will just depend on how easy it is to run some wires from the trunk to the sunroof switch panel.

My 2006 STi has Home Link, and I think it is built right into the mirror. I really do not think it takes a big black box for the electronics unless you need to water proof them. For the STi the insturctions told me to hold the opener by the mirror, and on the 2005 997 it says to hold it by the front bumper. Maybe you can just buy a homelink kit and take it apart and get it tucked away under that sunroof panel. Or I could take the garage door opener apart and get the circuit board out and just insulat it so it does not short out; it no longer needs to be water proof if I can tuck it into that panel.

Thanks for getting the little mice running in my brain guys. And thanks for letting me know that they did not forget to install the Homelink in my car.

That reminds me; I could have sworn that my 2005 997 came with the automatic headlights; if you turned it all the way to the left it had the auto setting for when it gets dark. This also is not in the GT3. This I definetely do not want or need, I am just asking if I am correct about this.

thanks again,

Stephen
Old 02-20-2008, 03:02 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
Damn Mooty. You must have it good. I need to take notes

(I would be sleeping on the sofa so fast it would make your head spin)

-Blake
i already sleep on the sofa, so it can't get much worse for me.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:18 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

Originally Posted by 340Elise
I could have sworn that my 2005 997 came with the automatic headlights; if you turned it all the way to the left it had the auto setting for when it gets dark. This also is not in the GT3. This I definetely do not want or need, I am just asking if I am correct about this.

thanks again,

Stephen
You are correct, no automatic headlights. If you have Nav you can set daytime running lights but they are the same intensity as the night lights.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

To my knowledge the 997 does not have auto-on headlamps either, just the home function for keeping parking lamps on so you don't brain yourself in your garage
Old 02-20-2008, 10:50 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Homelink

I went through the same exact thing when I got my 997 GT3. I was a bit frustrated. However, I did a thread on how to create your own homelink that completely uses the OEM switches and doesn't cost more than $50. Also, you save the weight of the homelink and the ridiculous method of training the device. If you can't find the thread I've attached some photos of the install. The homelink switches can be purchased from your dealer or Suncoast motor sports for very cheap. Then all you need is a soldering iron to attach the leads, and presto, you're done.
Attached Images     

Last edited by sasportas; 02-20-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Home Link