Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Home Link

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

Can you share a pic of your installation...

(yes, I will go search and look for your thread)
Old 02-20-2008, 02:23 PM
YellowDragon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Does anybody have Home Link on their GT3?
It's listed on the window sticker and I spent a whole afternoon looking for it before I realized it never existed and just a typo.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
I went through the same exact thing when I got my 997 GT3. I was a bit frustrated. However, I did a thread on how to create your own homelink that completely uses the OEM switches and doesn't cost more than $50. Also, you save the weight of the homelink and the ridiculous method of training the device. If you can't find the thread I've attached some photos of the install. The homelink switches can be purchased from your dealer or Suncoast motor sports for very cheap. Then all you need is a soldering iron to attach the leads, and presto, you're done.
Where is this thread? Is it on Rennlist or a different forum? That's a great idea.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:57 PM
daytonaviolet
Racer

subscribing
Old 02-20-2008, 09:09 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default homelink

The link to the install is on "6 speedonline" under the GT3 thread. Just do a search and you'll find my link. The key is to buy the homelink switches from porsche and then use your existing handheld garage door openers. A suggestion is to buy an extra set of small handheld garage controllers that you can open up to modify for the connection of wires.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:14 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The link to the install is on "6 speedonline" under the GT3 thread. Just do a search and you'll find my link. The key is to buy the homelink switches from porsche and then use your existing handheld garage door openers. A suggestion is to buy an extra set of small handheld garage controllers that you can open up to modify for the connection of wires.
It looks like you are still using the battery power for this install, correct? If you read my essay, I did the same thing in my Elise, but I used the power from the car. I just used a resistor to drop down the voltage to 9 Volts; I guess your watch battery is much less? Also, if you wire it to one of the car's ignition wires, then an intruder could not open your garage without a key to the car. Probably no one here has a garage and does not park their GT3 in it; but just in case some of you prefer to garage boxes of old junk rather than your $160,000 RS, then this method will be a little safer for keeping intruders out of your home
Old 02-21-2008, 01:35 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ht=garage+door

Thats what I did, but my openers had 12v batteries so I hardwired them to the car.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:04 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Default Homelink

Yes. I use the battery from the small garage hand held remote. And yes, connecting to a power source is a great idea also. When you remove the "blanks" from the headliner area there are a couple of power source wires - however, they are linked to the interior lights which are not hardwired to the ignition. You'd have to run an "ignition" wire up to that area which shouldn't be that bad.

As an alternative, I ran a similar home made "homelink" set-up in my C4S and simply used an "extra" defroster switch to activate the garage door opener under ignition power. You could locate this switch by the handbrake. Another alternative is to wire the switch to a location within the ashtray area.

Good luck. Lots of options. I simply went for the cleanest OEM looking install that I could.

Last edited by sasportas; 02-21-2008 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-21-2008, 05:25 PM
daytonaviolet
Racer

i believe some of the dome lights are fully operational without the key. so if you tap your 12v source to there, your garage opening will work fine. the beauty is, when you lock the doors.. the lights will turn off.. as well as your garage opener

Last edited by daytonaviolet; 02-22-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:39 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Default homelink

Excellent idea. Like I said, the dome light wires are very accessible in the homelink switch area.

Last edited by sasportas; 02-22-2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-23-2008, 04:47 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by daytonaviolet
i believe some of the dome lights are fully operational without the key. so if you tap your 12v source to there, your garage opening will work fine. the beauty is, when you lock the doors.. the lights will turn off.. as well as your garage opener
Excellent, that appears to solve the always hot wire problem, I think.

Thank you all for the great info!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:49 AM
340Elise
Banned

Yes. I use the battery from the small garage hand held remote. And yes, connecting to a power source is a great idea also. When you remove the "blanks" from the headliner area there are a couple of power source wires - however, they are linked to the interior lights which are not hardwired to the ignition. You'd have to run an "ignition" wire up to that area which shouldn't be that bad.

As an alternative, I ran a similar home made "homelink" set-up in my C4S and simply used an "extra" defroster switch to activate the garage door opener under ignition power. You could locate this switch by the handbrake. Another alternative is to wire the switch to a location within the ashtray area.

Good luck. Lots of options. I simply went for the cleanest OEM looking install that I could.
I like what you did; I really am not concerned about it being an ignition wire since my car is in the garage. Thanks for the great info!

Quick Reply: Home Link