Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How much scraping will it take?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:58 PM
webster132
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much scraping will it take?

Hi guys. I'm contemplating trading in my Cayman S for a GT3 or a TT. I can't seem to make up my mind about the two, but one thing I'm really worried about with the GT3 is the ground clearance coming up my driveway.

The Cayman S is a PASM/SC version, so it's 10mm lower than the regular ones. And I can JUST barely get in and out with a little bit of scraping or none if I'm lucky.

Considering the fact that the GT3 goes down another good X mm, I'm seriously worried that I wouldn't be able to get it into the driveway.

I do have another garage about 10 minutes walk away from my house (I got a Gallardo Spyder there now). But if I have to keep the GT3 over there, then I wonder how much daily driving I'll be doing in it. Having to walk 10 minutes back and forth to run a 30 minute errand doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

So I'm just wondering how much abuse the front spoiler can take without getting into too much trouble. Anyone here have a GT3 with a steep driveway to deal with?

Also, would it help if I back in and out or doesn't that make a difference? I'm already going at as much of an angle that I can with the Cayman.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Steep driveway and the front lip takes quite a few bumps But its rubber and its a wear item $200 a pop. My wifes BMW Z4M gets in and out without scraping and its probably as low as a Cayman S.
but the GT3 scrapes the lip- not much but enough to wear it down and need replacement in a year or so.

Are you going to buy a used GT3?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 PM
webster132
Intermediate

Yeah, going for a used one. I'm actually looking at this one: http://porsche-exchange.porschedeale...ntoryid=377473. They offered it at 128 and would give me 42 for my Cayman S.

But to get the car how I'd like it, I would have to spend another 1800 to get the wheels painted silver (hate black wheels), remove the window tint, and fix the lip (it already looks like ****). So I'm looking at almost ~90K for the swap. Which hurts a bit (bought the Cayman for 52 just four months ago!).

And this is going to be a sorta daily driver. I work from home, so no commute, but plenty of errand running etc. Which is what has me wobbling over the TT as well.

I did a number of track days in the Gallardo last year and drove in a Formula Mazda series as well, so I'm definitely going to take either the Cayman if I keep it or the TT or GT3 to the track probably 4-6 times/yr.

Which means that the car is going to see considerably more street driving than track driving. Thus my dilemma .
Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think the lip is not a good excuse to skip a GT3. If you can do it -you should. Especially with your
track schedule. I have one with a steep driveway and because of my back I havent been to the track as much as I would like. So mine is a daily driver sorta.
The 997 GT3 is a much better driver than the 996 GT3. I had both. The 997 is as drivable as a racecar
can be-BUT its a street car.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:35 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like OG says, treat the lip as a wear item and replace it once a year. If you take it slow up the driveway it may scrape but not gouge too badly. As for the wheels, you might want to check around locally; someone might be willing to swap a set of silver wheels for the black, which would let you save a few $.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

The trick to steep driveways is to approach at an angle, so that the tire encounters the slope before the lip does. You have to be able to depart the same way, which is not a problem if you can back out.

The trick to really steep driveways is to park somewhere else.

I much prefer having a sacrificial lip to a rigid one a la F cars and L cars (if I'm recalling the front of a Gallardo correctly...).
Old 02-11-2008, 08:46 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes coming in at a angle and I WONT scrape Roads around town are worse. But again nothing but a wear item brake pad front lip whatever.
Wheelenhancement.com has all kinds of Porsche wheels check with them
Or somebody here but I havent seen a set lately.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:01 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My driveway is steep but like mentioned above, I come in and leave at an angle so the tire lifts the lip up enough not to scrape and my car is lower than the GT3. Look at the driveway picture, is yours as steep.

Last edited by sjgreco; 03-02-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:04 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Backing in doest NOT help me just scratched the front lip worse.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 PM
chardonet
Racer

I thought I wouldn't have any issues with my little sloping driveway, but the GT3 proved it is enough to rub the front. I come out/in at steep angles, but it still rubs. As everyone has stated, it is a replacement item, and I have reached the conclusion that I will just have to purchase them every once in a while. Also, you can sand off the beaded plastic from the bottom with a sand block. I wouldn't let this deter you from the thrills of the GT3!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will trade you my silver wheels for your black ones if you buy the car fairly soon. Let me know if you are interested.

Stephen

btw, the GT3 is the only way to go. The other one that you are considering is not a comparable car in my book.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

I drove the Cayman S and loved it. Was about to buy it when the used(500 miles) GT3 rolled on tot he lot. Driving both and doing track days 10x a year, I choose the GT3. Both are wonderful, just different.

I can enter my drive way at a severe enough angle to avoid scraping the lip but entering the garage is another story. I built some wood ramps for entering and exiting to avoid ripping my lip off. It is a nuisance, but not a deal killer.

I hope it all works out. I would also consider trading with you on the wheels if you do the deal.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:54 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,366 Likes on 632 Posts

gmg sells front lips for 135 bucks. don't have to pay 200. so for 12 dollars a month, you can afford to scrape the hell out of the rubber lip and replace it once a year.

may the force be with you
Old 02-12-2008, 04:27 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

Wheel enhancement did a straight out trade for my wheels. The GT3 is the best porsche I have ever owned, you won't regret it.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:15 AM
MarekN
Racer

The Cayman is definitely a better daily driver. As for the steep driveway, I had to rebuild mine completely. The lip will scrape and bend, but it is replacable, as you know. The GT3 only starts working correctly after 20 minutes of driving, the limiting factor being the transmission, which takes the longest to warm up. Buying it for errands is an error, there is not much joy in it in city driving. I think you should replace the Gallardo with it, a much better pairing with the Cayman.

Quick Reply: How much scraping will it take?