Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How much scraping will it take?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:53 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
gmg sells front lips for 135 bucks. don't have to pay 200. so for 12 dollars a month, you can afford to scrape the hell out of the rubber lip and replace it once a year.

may the force be with you
You might want to recheck with GMG on that price. That price was right for the 2007 part, but for some reason, Porsche almost doubled the 2008 price for the same part.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

carnewal.com also has it listed for 120 euro...I don't see why it should be almost double than the advertised prices. Surely if you go through the porsche dealer you'll get hosed, but GMG and carnewal are really respected shippers/suppliers.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

carnewal.com also has it listed for 120 euro...I don't see why it should be almost double than the advertised prices. Surely if you go through the porsche dealer you'll get hosed, but GMG and carnewal are really respected shippers/suppliers.
On pricing and service you can't go wrong with these guys either:

www.sunsetimports.com west coast
www.suncoastporsche.com east coast
Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Yeah, carnewal also still shows the same 475 euros for the RS steering wheel they had it for last year. I'm not sure if the european parts prices had the big increase or not. Or if carnewal has updated their site recently. But I'd bet money that they can't still get those parts for those prices.

In the USA during the first 1/2 of 2007, the GT3 front spoiler cost me around $120. I finally replaced that one last month, & now the GT3 front spoiler costs over $220.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Originally Posted by webster132
Hi guys. I'm contemplating trading in my Cayman S for a GT3 or a TT. I can't seem to make up my mind about the two, but one thing I'm really worried about with the GT3 is the ground clearance coming up my driveway.

The Cayman S is a PASM/SC version, so it's 10mm lower than the regular ones. And I can JUST barely get in and out with a little bit of scraping or none if I'm lucky.

Considering the fact that the GT3 goes down another good X mm, I'm seriously worried that I wouldn't be able to get it into the driveway.

I do have another garage about 10 minutes walk away from my house (I got a Gallardo Spyder there now). But if I have to keep the GT3 over there, then I wonder how much daily driving I'll be doing in it. Having to walk 10 minutes back and forth to run a 30 minute errand doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

So I'm just wondering how much abuse the front spoiler can take without getting into too much trouble. Anyone here have a GT3 with a steep driveway to deal with?

Also, would it help if I back in and out or doesn't that make a difference? I'm already going at as much of an angle that I can with the Cayman.
I traded in a TT (X50 package) for a GT3RS and I've never looked back. For me, the RS is infinitely more enjoyable. As the guys say, the front lip is replaceable at modest cost. Don't think of it a part of the car... think of it as the car's "protector"! Do the GT3.
Ray
'07 RS
Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 AM
webster132
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MarekN
The Cayman is definitely a better daily driver. As for the steep driveway, I had to rebuild mine completely. The lip will scrape and bend, but it is replacable, as you know. The GT3 only starts working correctly after 20 minutes of driving, the limiting factor being the transmission, which takes the longest to warm up. Buying it for errands is an error, there is not much joy in it in city driving. I think you should replace the Gallardo with it, a much better pairing with the Cayman.
I wouldn't be buying it with the sole intention of running 20 minute errands, but it would need to be capable of that too. I drove a very short, anemic test drive last week in 10 degree weather on MSPCs, which meant no hard acceleration or turning . Only got a feel for the clutch and the shifter. Wasn't TOO bad, but definitely more work than the Cayman.

I wouldn't trade my Gallardo Spyder for just about any car right now. I love the open-air experience and to me that car is the most exotic and yet practical way of getting it. But I'd like not to beat up on it too much by taking it to the track all the time (changing break pads is a $1,500+ job!!! ).

So I'm still wavering.

A similarly question for those living in cold climates: Are you driving it in the winter with snow and salt on the street? I'd probably have to be able to do that from time to time as well.

I do have a more practical car, an Audi S4, but currently that's being used daily by the girlfriend .
Old 02-12-2008, 02:16 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default snow

Yes. Driving in snow, ice, rain, mud - whatever. It's just a car. With snow tires the car has terrific traction.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I use a ramp

Mine scrapes pretty good. I built two wooden ramps that I place at the bottom of the drive. Cost me $10, works perfect, thought it's inelegent.

I also bought two new spoilers and will replace once a year or when it gets too ratty.

It's still the car I drive most often, and all the others clear. It's worth the hassle.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can navigate most steep drives if you go slow and go one front tire at a time. If not, I bought my first replacement chin guard for like 135.00 but the price goes up frequently. I don't drive my car in the winter, as much as I want to. No rust proofing and the rust protection is only warranted 4 yrs on the GT3 which tells me they did not make this car with the intention of winter driving. Plus its so low you would be plowing the streets around hear.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:16 PM
webster132
Intermediate

Okay, I made an offer on the car. We'll see if they take it or not .

What wheels/tires are the folks doing winter driving going with? I don't exactly intend to take it out in a snowstorm, but I would use it when there's just a little bit of slush on the road.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

The one thing which the Gallardo's AWD should be good for is slush and snow, no? Save the GT3 for high traction days!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 PM
webster132
Intermediate

The Gallardo is way too high profile to drive around for errands, imo, not to mention twice the cost of the GT3. A big lure of the GT3 would be that I would worry less about it than I would an Italian exotic.

In any case, it seems like I have a deal on my hands. Finalizing the last few things now.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:12 PM
webster132
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Deal is done! I hope to pick up the car tomorrow or shortly there after. Just have to get a few things fixed, like removing the window tint:

I really hope I can get it up the driveway!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

i have an RS. it has a lower center piece on the lip.
you WILL scrape.
but the lip is very very very strong. i scrape it everytime i drive, now i do it on purpose just to have fun. i have once flew off an apex berm, the lip now has a very strange and cool looking kink in it, but it is still there strong and healthy.

i have also driven over parking islands (it was 5am, i was buying donuts for my track buddies on my way to thunderhill.), the lip is STILL on.....

dont worry about it.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

COngrats Webster!!!! GREAT looking car.

Quick Reply: How much scraping will it take?