Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone move from C2S to GT-3? Impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:59 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS
The one issue you should know about in the '05 S that has been pretty extensively written about in Excellence is the bushing issue on that year car. The result was a tendency for the rear to sway back and forth and was quite unsettling. They fixed that in the '06 car and up. So in your case you will see quite a bit of difference between the two cars as a result of the rear sway problem in the '05.
Hey ECS, could you elaborate a bit more on this "swaying" issue? Does this happen only under heavy torque load? My only complaint with this car has always been what I describe to my dealer as mild "torque steer," in which the car pulls slightly to the left under torque load, and then pulls back to the right as soon as the load is lifted. It is most noticeable at higher speeds, when you put in/back off torque. Could this be related to the bushing issue you mention? If so, is it possible to replace the bushings to correct it?

Thanks much for the insight...
Old 02-12-2008, 04:30 PM
titleist1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2005 C2S, launch version, i soon discovered the dreaded sway issue, car would really scare you when at high speed turn it would almost snap rear end loose. Did not know this issue had been dealt with on 2006 and later. Guess this is why you should never buy first year of design model change.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Eilig, I am not sure if it was a torque load issue as you described. I drove the '05 with Pete Stout of Excellence. I was at Thunderhill with my GT3 and took the '05 997 out on the roads in the area to give him my impression. I noticed the sway in the rear immediately; particularly in sweeping corners. As weight was put on one side of the chasis, the back would start to sway a bit back and forth. Just coming off my 996GT3 it was really annoying and obvious. Pete later found out it was something to do with the bushings that Porsche corrected later on. When I test drove my '06 997 S I had heard that it had been fixed but pushed it hard to really see. It was fine. As I may have mentioned, I track this car a lot now and love it for its great versatility (Its my family car, I need the back seats).
Old 02-13-2008, 12:06 AM
RS 197
Pro

No comparison in the two. You will love the GT3. It is the most amazing street car ever built. A joy to drive. It is sooooo Fast it is almost to much for the street.

Get it you will love it.... Just the savings in depreciation alone is worth the change....

Good luck.... Looking forward to your comparison post.... You will love it.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I made the switch from the '05 S to the '07 GT3, and would not look back.
Did X-country roadtrips in both, the GT3 is just SO much nicer.
More caution must be exercised due to much reduced approach angle, aside from that it's GREAT!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:52 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
I made the switch from the '05 S to the '07 GT3, and would not look back.
Did X-country roadtrips in both, the GT3 is just SO much nicer.
More caution must be exercised due to much reduced approach angle, aside from that it's GREAT!
Hey MJones, congrats! I think I remember trading some posts with you on the 997 board a couple years ago! Hope to be joining you very soon with my impressions of the GT3!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 996 GT3 for the track, and rented a 997GT3 for a weekend in NY/CT back in November juts to compare. The 997 GT3 is more compliant than the 996, and IMHO would make an ideal daily driver. It will be more stiff than your C2S, but that should not dissuade you.

If I didn't live in a location where it snows 400+ inches per year, I would drive a 997 GT3 as my DD. No question.

Good luck.

-Blake
Old 02-14-2008, 11:07 AM
oh yea
Instructor

just get both! The wife will get over it eventually and if you not married your good to go.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:48 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oh yea
just get both! The wife will get over it eventually and if you not married your good to go.
If it were only that easy!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone move from C2S to GT-3? Impressions...